Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Yeah, but, how does that make you not want to pee when the heat gets to you?

Another important technique is to force fluids before you start. Once the heat gets you, you won't have to stop and pee!
    Once you get hot enough to start sweating all that 'extra forced hydration' you took onboard out again, even if it's too hot to be doing any worthwhile cooling as you sweat, your body simply won't be letting you pee that precious liquid out!!

However, be warned, cos that is one of the early warning signs of over-heating.... when you stop needing to pee, it's waaayyy past time to be re-hydrating AND cooling down!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Once you get hot enough to start sweating all that 'extra forced hydration' you took onboard out again, even if it's too hot to be doing any worthwhile cooling as you sweat, your body simply won't be letting you pee that precious liquid out!!

However, be warned, cos that is one of the early warning signs of over-heating.... when you stop needing to pee, it's waaayyy past time to be re-hydrating AND cooling down!
    That's what I thought too. So, I guess he was just being facetious about the no pee thing....
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Drink fluids at every opportunity, even if you hafta 'force' yourself to take in more fluids - ie, 'force fluids'!

If you only drink what you think or feel you might need, or until you're no longer thirsty, there's usually a fair bit of scope for taking in more in the way of hydrating fluids! Another litre or maybe even two shouldn't be too hard to 'force' yourself to drink, but you might want to allow time for a couple of extra wee breaks early in your ryde, altho you shouldn't really need any more long breaks, and as mentioned, once the heat gets to you....

Only don't go over-board with the forcing of fluids thing - really going OTT & drinking massive amounts of water (or anything for that matter! ) can be fatal!
    My experience with extreme heat has shown me that you don't get thirsty when you're suffering from heat issues. You get a HEADACHE then NAUSEA because of dehydration. Once that starts you have to FORCE a moderate and continuous amount of fluids while lying in a cool place. Unlike the movies, when these symptoms start you become quickly incapacitated.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Spyder Garage

That's what I thought too. So, I guess he was just being facetious about the no pee thing....
    Utah,

I don't understand what Peter is saying, usually I do, but let's forget for a moment we are talking high heat conditions. Under normal conditions, you'll find that drinking half your body weight in ounces (every day) is beneficial. That means if you weigh 200#, you should be drinking 100 ounces thru out the day. That will keep your metabolism up, and helps with not gaining weight, like so many people do as they get older. The problem is, you don't find that many people who drink half their body weight in ounces, under normal conditions. Add heat into the equation, and now you have an even bigger problem. Someone may have already said it, don't ride between 11 AM and 3 PM on those very, very moisture sucking hot days.

I did see one post on here where someone does probably drink half is body weight in ounces.

By the way, this half your body weight in ounces I'm talking about, it's not drinking it all at once, but thru out the day. If you try to drink it in a short period of time, you can run into other issues, like maybe dying.

Peter,

Did you mean, by chance, that the kidneys will shut down during heat stroke?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
    My experience with extreme heat has shown me that you don't get thirsty when you're suffering from heat issues. You get a HEADACHE then NAUSEA because of dehydration. Once that starts you have to FORCE a moderate and continuous amount of fluids while lying in a cool place. Unlike the movies, when these symptoms start you become quickly incapacitated.
    Thank you. Right to the point.

Spyder Garage

If it's only for later in the ride, then take a hint from my wife; she soaks her vest thoroughly then puts it in the refrigerator before the ride. Then, she uses a large zip-lock bag and carries it in the frunk until she's ready to use it. On really hot rides, she will put ice cubes in the bag with the vest.

It still only lasts about 1-1/2 hours, and then the vest is either too warm or too dry to be of much help.
    Pete, this poor guy's in Va, not out west, there dealing with humidity, not dry air! For some reason I really don't think the water thing will work that well, your putting wet sticky on wet sticky. Just my 2 cents!! I would go with more of a wicking, lite fabric top myself!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Right Mickey, it's the same in Florida with any cooling situation one might use.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Pete, this poor guy's in Va, not out west, there dealing with humidity, not dry air! For some reason I really don't think the water thing will work that well, your putting wet sticky on wet sticky. Just my 2 cents!! I would go with more of a wicking, lite fabric top myself!
    Mikey, I do realize that, which is why in an earlier post I advised against the evap vest solution for his situation. But, he went with the evap towel solution anyway, so ...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Keeping a microfiber shirt wet down has worked for me on humid 100 degree days here in the rain forests of East Tennessee. I admit that approaching 70 is making me less heat tolerant, but I still can handle it for a couple hundred miles of enjoyment as long as I keep the shirt and microfiber towel wet and keep drinking. Maybe TMI, but some ladies wear undergarments that trap the heat in. A light sports bra and microfiber panties should be considered.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Don't cheap out. I did on my first one and it dried out fast under my mesh jacket. Bought my wife the Hyper Kewl and hers did not dry out as fast. I bought my self the Hyper Kewl as well. But 109 temps still stink and suck the fun out of rides. Have to stop and re-wet. I carry water bottles and a small white garbage bad. Put my vest in and pour one bottle in. Perfect amount to wet the vest again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post

Peter,

Did you mean, by chance, that the kidneys will shut down during heat stroke?
    It's not only the kidneys shutting down, it's also a whole lot of other fairly important stuff!

If you are at the 'still sweating' stage and still able to pee, but starting getting a headache &/or nausea, dizziness, feeling faint, etc, then you should be SIPPING water while you rest & cool down, preferably out of the sun!

But if those symptoms last for more than an hour, get worse, or you start throwing up, then it's PAST time to act! And certainly once you get to the 'no longer sweating &/or pee-ing' stage, then you are REALLY NOT WELL & things are NOT GOOD in your body, so it's time to stop drinking, move to a cooler spot, try to bring your body temps down with cool cloths &/or a cool bath, and if you/whoever is not feeling great with any &/or all of those previously mentioned signs & symptoms, ie headache, nausea, dizziness, fainting, et al, then call 911 immediately!!

No kidding people, over-heating CAN & DOES KILL!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Then drink LOTS of COLD water during your ride.
    According to info I find cold does not mean ice cold. Ice cold water can shock your system so be careful drinking it. It might be best if you are strenuously exercising which riding is not. The best temp for hydration is about 60° F but as others have said you must drink plenty of it even if you don't feel thirsty.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    According to info I find cold does not mean ice cold. Ice cold water can shock your system so be careful drinking it. It might be best if you are strenuously exercising which riding is not. The best temp for hydration is about 60° F but as others have said you must drink plenty of it even if you don't feel thirsty.
    That’s exactly what I’m doing these days, and I’m sure expelling a lot of it also. Water is at room temperature.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Perhaps the lady has some underlying health issues that make the temps more intolerable than for most. It may is time to consider installing a (insert you favorite indoor pastime device here) in the basement and spending the hot season honing those skills.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White