Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWolf View Post
    I will start it off.

We are a 2 Spyder family, and since having the update to the update applied our Spyders are running great. We have ridden for the past 2 days, and mine currently is approaching 5,000 miles.

Mine is a yellow 2009 SE5.

Love2Ride's is a red 2009 SE5.

Before the debate starts, mine is faster!
    No debates my love... you're just a liar.

Okay, you can be faster. Just not with our lil one on the back.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

As you can see from the quotes above, HDXBONES asked that question for clarification and I responded to it in what I felt was a legitimate answer. This thread is not meant to drive a wedge between those who are having problems and those who are not. I was actually hoping this would provide some type of balance where people reading the forum will be able to see that not all Spyders are having problems. Then they can make an informed decision as to whether they want to continue to accept the risk that comes with riding.

The fact that these posters have had their problems resolved, and do not feel it was a big deal is another side of the issues that many people never hear.

I know you are having big problems with your Spyder, and am truly sorry for that. I certainly hope they get it fixed and get you back on the road safely very soon. Hang in there the best you can.
    And really? Is ANYTHING trouble free??

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

08 SM5 5000+miles 1st update done NO PROBLEMS!!

VERY HAPPY OWNER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 08 SE

6800 miles. Ran a little rough after the recall update but that has gone away with the cool weather. Waiting on dealer to get parts in for the 2nd update.
    Dick

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Hey! I'm having the EXACT SAME PROBLEM! I think you've hit on something! Now I wonder how many others are having this same issue!

And I'll bet BRP is playing dumb about it too!

Where is my NHTSA link....I'm not laying down for this defect! This is OUTRAGEOUS!
    Holy Cow! How did I miss this?? Flippin' hilarious.

And yeah, I agree. I thought it was gremlins. Been settin' traps to no avail so must be a leak.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    OK, I think it's a wonderful idea but it's not gonna work. People in here are posting to this thread NO problems when indeed they had a problem, such as a cracked water bottle, squeaky breaks, steering incident and all were fixed. Nice everything got resolved but I don't think it belongs in the NO problems thread. To me, and there are some lucky folks in here, NO problems means NOTHING, nada, zip that happened to them.
    If the idea is that only those who never had any problems with the Spyder should post here I'll pull mine.

On the other hand, I've got over 7,000 miles with absolutely no problems which is more than some that have posted here so far.

And the problem I had in the 1st 7600 miles I didn't even know I had so how bad could that really be?

The rest was really pretty minor and easily corrected.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

As we have all seen lately, much of the forum is becoming dedicated to posts about the problems people are having with their Spyders. This is a great place to discuss those issues, and they are very serious concerns for those that have them as well. I also know that some people are reading about them and are posting they are know scared to be a Spyder Ryder.

What I would like to see in this thread is for people who are not having problems to check in and just let us know. I have a feeling there are many more people without issues that are just not posting about it. Perhaps if they chime in as well we can get some sort of perspective on how widespread these issues really are.

If you would be so kind as to post your Spyder's year and model that would be great as well.

HI,

I bought my 09 in July and I already have 6,458 miles on her with NO problems. Next month I'll be putting on another 3,000 miles on her, I'm taking the to Key West, FL for a week.

This is a great place to discuss issues and concurs. I have picked up a lot of great information from there and ordered some wonderful items because I learned about them from this form.

But the biggest reward is the friends I have made through this form. My brother and I were traveling from Washington DC to Branson MO last month and told some people on this form and they said if we get close please give them a call, so I did. BumbleBee and her husband, MO Lee and his wife met us for lunch along the way. They went out of their way to make a follow love feel like they were home.

Yes, I love my 09 and have had NO issues, and this form is the best.

r/v
    Don

Spyder Garage

Bought mine used in June with 2300 km on it. Put it away a few weeks ago for the winter with another 5500 km and no issues -- other than the riding season being too short.

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

'08 GS SM5 Full Moon -- after 15,000km sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon -- after 30,700km traded in 2014
    '17 RTL Pearl White -- new-to-me in 2023

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Spyder Garage

2008 SE5, second owner (I purchased from an acquaintance).

9/08 to 4/09, 0 - 1000 miles, original owner: zero problems.

4/09 to present, 1000 - 3800 miles, me: zero problems both before and after the recall update - mileage did improve after.

I did have one relay shake loose that I corrected myself... but I do not consider this to be of enough consequence to call it a 'problem'.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Minimal problems

SE5 purchased Oct '08 locked in gear once, used wrench in kit. Stalled once at traffic light would not restart for 5 minutes. Those 2 situations happened when milage was below 500. No recalls done yet. Apprehensive about having any done as it has been flawless in operating since first 2 situations. MPG 25/30 Miles, 2500.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

8200 miles on my 08 SM5 and she's purring like a kitten after Pirate Powersports did the second update and an early 9k service.

Couldn't be happier right now... Well, maybe if I had some Elka shocks and a few more NMN modifications.

Spyder Garage

I would say not having any problems now, or no major problems to report at all. Mine had the surging issue after the first DPS update, but the second update corrected all of that and the Spyder is running great.

If you get the second DPS update the surging will go away, and you will be even happier with your Spyder.
    My dealer says there is no 2nd DPS update. Would you know if it has a certain number, some sort of identifier so I can insist on getting the fix done to my '08 SE5?

Tripod

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

No problems here. Only have about 1300 miles on it, but so far, so good.

Spyder Garage

Sorry, but this just isn't the way to go about finding out what is happening ----

Most people will respond that they are not having problems--- because most are not.

Better to ask about the problems and if they have been resolved or not.

This is like asking 'who has not had the flu'.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Sorry, but this just isn't the way to go about finding out what is happening ----

Most people will respond that they are not having problems--- because most are not.

Whats wrong with seeing some positive upbeat posts once in a while???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    Whats wrong with seeing some positive upbeat posts once in a while???
    Nothing--- but what good is sorting through 2,000 posts that everything is fine?

Just makes more sense to have the few hundred that have had problems post about them--- preferably in a poll-type format so the numbers are easy to track.

Just my .02.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Nothing--- but what good is sorting through 2,000 posts that everything is fine?

Just makes more sense to have the few hundred that have had problems post about them--- preferably in a poll-type format so the numbers are easy to track.

Just my .02.
    The ones who have had problems have already posted about them....over and over again!

my .02

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 09 SM5 checking in

My 09, has been trouble free for 3600 miles. Received Spyder June 24, runs like a champ. No performance mods. Handlebar mod, Chad. Just had the update on 10/30. No issues, just thought I had better get it done just in case. Love this machine and everything about it. I must be the happy idiot, because I never think about anything when I ride except how fortunate I am to be able to own it. Been riding 37 years, this bike is absolutely my most enjoyable. Love my Harleys, I still have 2, but I have not thrown a leg over either of them since The Spyder came into my life.....

Spyder Garage

Bought my Spyder new in July. Now have about 3500 miles on it with no problems other than my face hurting from smiling so much. Had the first update done - noticed no differance. Have the 1 inch bar riser and Hindle
    muffler. Now if I can get Santa to bring me the sway bar it'l be just about perfect.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Maryland Owner

I have #3815 and have over six thousand miles of trouble free riding. I have been riding since Aug. 1954 and have owned ten different trikes. I enjoy my Spyder as much as anything I have owned.

Spyder Garage

08-sm5 .. 12.000 wonderfull mls - biggest problem is the weather here in austria -cold and snowing - the other one is this new RT - wife says..it would make me older..
    chris
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

2008 yellow SE 5 only mod is seat none of the recalls done just havent had time 2000 miles.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 2 - 2008's

Yessir:

We are a two spyder family and no concerns what so ever. All updates have been done.

SE5 20000KM
    SM5 6000KM

And still keeps on ticking.

2faston3

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
    My dealer says there is no 2nd DPS update. Would you know if it has a certain number, some sort of identifier so I can insist on getting the fix done to my '08 SE5?

Tripod
    The dealer is right. The second update that people are talking about is not for other DPS issues but it for the engine issues that some have experienced since getting the first update done. If you aren't having engine surging problems, you shouldn't need the second update.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tripod View Post

Tripod
    Ask them about the Engine Performance Update that BRP put out on September 28, 2009. That is what I believe the actual name of the update to the update is.

I tried that on another thread. 1 post and then the poster deleted it, and another post saying a public forum is not the place to give such details as lawyers may use what was written.

One of the main reasons I started this thread was as an attempt to show people that are reading this forum, especially new people considering purchasing a Spyder, that life is not all problems if you own one.

For what it's worth, I got a seasonal flu shot and have not had the flu either.