Thread: Idles then dies

Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    I dont want to argue with you Peter Aawen because I know you know your s--- but this is not a direct injection engine,the fuel injectors are not in the combustion chambers so they dont run hot.Ive cleaned and also taken apart many injectors while off the engine and there is zero chance of the tip falling off or burning off.When I clean an injector on the bench I usually run Seafoam undiluted thru at about 60 psi until the flow pattern looked correct.Sometimes you just cant get them clean and you have to replace.He can try to clean his and double up on the recommended dosage with no problem IMO.If it doesnt fix it then hes off to the dealership.
    True, I didn't even think of DI/Indirect Injection thing... Just saw the comment & posted the BE WARY of Over-Dosing Warning because of the damage I've seen/experienced caused by injector cleaners used incorrectly/over-dosed on engines in operation - the damage they CAN DO & HAVE DONE on both DI & Indirect Injection engines where the nozzles or parts there-off can end up in the cylinders is never pretty!!

However, I believe the validity of my Warning still stands - just remember that the things you might get away with during 'off engine servicing or rebuilding' can be a whole lot different to what goes on inside an engine while it's operating! And to clarify a little further, as I mentioned/implied in the '.... causing the injectors &/or burn in the cylinders to 'run hot' OR they are heavy solvents that work to dissolve any build-up...' bit, some of these injector cleaners are quite aggressive solvents - they have to be in order to work diluted in the fuel; so using excessive injector cleaner doesn't necessarily mean that the injector tips will always run hot, it could well mean that the injector nozzles are simply eaten away by the excessively corrosive additives!!

Injectors that have had the tiny little spray holes that help fuel atomisation corroded out by age/use OR over-aggressive use of solvents can mean that instead of atomising the fuel, they can dribble fuel out, or they might spray out a straight jet of very high pressure fuel, possibly squirting it directly into the cylinder or air plenum & often, always spraying that highly corrosive mix directly onto the exact same spot, where [B]either of those/B] can do all sorts of nasty things! .

So I believe my Warning still stands - there's usually a very good reason those cleaners have a dosage recommendation, even if it is just to cover the manufacturer's/retailer's arse if the cleaner causes problems in your engine!! . But as with all this sorta stuff, I've put it out there so that those reading can make an informed decision, making up their own minds about what they chose to do - and they can still do whatever they like, cos it's ultimately their choice. But at least they might now think of the potential downsides!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-10-2021 at 07:34 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!