Thread: Noob Questions

Spyder Garage

Default Noob Questions

Hi,
    I am new to the forum and new to Can-Am. I am retired Navy and live in Raleigh NC.
    I sold my last bike recently which was a BMW K1200 LTE that I had for 15 years.
    I plan to purchase the 2021 Spyder RT Sea to Sky edition. If anyone has bought this cycle I would love to hear your opinion of it.
    I compared the RT Limited to the Sea to Sky and found that by the time I added all the options from the Sea to Sky to the RT Limited the price difference was less then 1K. And I really like the color .
    I contacted Brewer Cycles in Henderson NC to get their out the door price and then contacted iMotorsports after reading about them here. iMotorsports price was over 1k less so I will probably go with them. I have never bought a bike from a place that I couldn't take it back to for warranty work or regular service so I am wondering how that will work. Will the local dealer have any issues servicing my Spyder if I didn't buy it from them?

I am also looking at buying the Cardo Packtalk comm system along with a new helmet. I really like the LS2 Valiant 2 modular helmet because the chin bar flips all the way back. With my last bike I owned two helmets, a full face for winter riding and a 3/4 for summer so the LS2 seems like a great compromise though I have never owned a modular helmet. Will the Cardo Packtalk work with the LS2? It looks to me like I might have an issue mounting it.

Sorry for the long post. I have really enjoyed reading the forums since a joined a week or so ago and have already learned a ton.

Thanks,
    Twidget
    2021 Sea to Sky , Highland Green

Spyder Garage

to the site.

A couple of others here have mentioned they are also looking at Sea to Sky. No purchases so far that I am aware of.

I bought my last Spyder (F3L) from iMoto and was very pleased with the whole transaction. Trade, set up, accessories, and they delivered it to my back yard and picked up the trade.

I have had no problem getting service as there are at least three options for me. No warranty issues, but have not heard anything bad concerning that from the Spyder dealers in my area.

With the newness of the Sea to Sky, I am pleased to see that iMoto is offering something extra off.

RE: communicators: A lot of members here are sold on Sena units. I have some of them on my current helmets. Have tried Cardo back a few years, and was not as happy.

Good luck with your purchase, and welcome from all of us.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-30-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

you could also try Iron Horse Motorcycles in monroe nc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Twidget View Post
    Hi,
    I am new to the forum and new to Can-Am. I am retired Navy and live in Raleigh NC.

I plan to purchase the 2021 Spyder RT Sea to Sky edition. If anyone has bought this cycle I would love to hear your opinion of it.

Will the local dealer have any issues servicing my Spyder if I didn't buy it from them?

I am also looking at buying the Cardo Packtalk comm system along with a new helmet.

Thanks,
    Twidget
    Oh, where to start?

First, I'm sorry you chose the Navy. You should have picked a "real" branch (like the ARMY). (j/k)

I didn't think the S2S trim was coming out until after the 1st of the year. I doubt anyone has one yet.

ANY Spyder dealer will service ANY Spyder. You may not get preferential treatment but you'll get service.

I bought a Cardo Packtalk Slim for my last helmet. I've had problems with it from day 1 and at least in my case, customer service was poor to non-existant. Hopefully, you'll have better luck.

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    :
    With the newness of the Sea to Sky, I am pleased to see that iMoto is offering something extra off.
    Basically iMotorsports was giving me discounts because I am a member of SpyderLovers. This is what they sent:
    29799 PRICE OF UNIT
    595 FREIGHT (WAIVED SPYDERLOVERS MEMBER)
    299 SET UP (WAIVED SPYDERLOVERS MEMBER)
    300 ILLINOIS DOC
    FREE NATIONWIDE SHIPPING
    30099 BEFORE TAXES & PLATES

What Brewers sent me was:
    $29,799
    Freight: $995
    Assembly/Service: $275
    Documentation: $199
    $31,268

A $1,169 saving from iMotorsports. I plan to contact Brewers to see if they can match the price as well as Sport Durst Powersports in Durham NC because they are even closer to my home.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If your looking for a new modular helmet and intercom all in one you might try looking at Sena https://www.sena.com/product/outrush I think Motorcycle Dave a sponsor here sells them at a discount price for SL members.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    you could also try Iron Horse Motorcycles in monroe nc
    Thanks, I will email them for a quote as well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    If your looking for a new modular helmet and intercom all in one you might try looking at Sena https://www.sena.com/product/outrush I think Motorcycle Dave a sponsor here sells them at a discount price for SL members.
    I was mainly looking at the Cardo because all the comparison reviews I have read online between the Cardo and the Sena said that the Cardo had better sound due to the JBL speakers. However, I know you can't always trust these online reviews so if anyone has experience with using both please share your experiences. I will mostly be using this to communicate with my wife on the back and with possibly a few other riders.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was mainly looking at the Cardo because all the comparison reviews I have read online between the Cardo and the Sena said that the Cardo had better sound due to the JBL speakers. However, I know you can't always trust these online reviews so if anyone has experience with using both please share your experiences. I will mostly be using this to communicate with my wife on the back and with possibly a few other riders.
    I'm comparing the (2) comm systems I have in the (4) helmets I have but mostly Cardo Packtalk Slim in my HJC RPHA 90 (high, mid range helmet) to the SENA SRL (based on the 20s) in my Shoei Neotech 2 (high, high end helmet). I also have a SENA SMH10 mounted to a Bell Mag9/SENA and I've had the Cardo in my Shoei J-Cruise.

I think the Cardo with the UPGRADED (larger/45mm?) speakers sound a little better than the SENA 20s speakers but not by much. They sound a LOT better than the SENA 10 series speakers. The Cardo with the standard JBL speakers (40mm?) don't sound any better than the speakers on my SENA SRL system (which is based off the 20s). The speaker sound relates more to the helmet than the speakers. If you have crappy speakers in a great helmet, they'll sound better than super speakers in a crappy helmet. I don't care what anyone buys but I'm just saying don't get all jazzed up over some speakers that may or may not sound a little bit better than the competitor.

Rumor has it that SENA won't honor their warranty if the comm system gets wet but that doesn't make much sense to me. The comm systems are designed/meant for a motorcycle helmet so they're bound to get wet. No way around it (for the most part...I mean, everyone's been caught in a little bit of rain at least once, right?).

Pro AND Con on the Cardo Packtalk systems (both the Slim version and the regular version): the speakers plug in with a standard 3.5mm headphone jack. Don't like the standard 40mm speakers? Buy the "better" 45mm speakers and plug them in. Don't like those but prefer your own custom ear buds? Plug them in. That's a plus if you're looking for super high end sound. On the other hand, you're traveling 70mph down the road in open air. You're not going to get symphony quality sound no matter what you have. The con part of the plug on the Cardo system is that there's one more "bump" that could give you a hotspot on your head. There's no way to tuck that away successfully unless you cut out part of the EPS.

Spyder Garage

Basically iMotorsports was giving me discounts because I am a member of SpyderLovers. This is what they sent:
    29799 PRICE OF UNIT
    595 FREIGHT (WAIVED SPYDERLOVERS MEMBER)
    299 SET UP (WAIVED SPYDERLOVERS MEMBER)
    300 ILLINOIS DOC
    FREE NATIONWIDE SHIPPING
    30099 BEFORE TAXES & PLATES

What Brewers sent me was:
    $29,799
    Freight: $995
    Assembly/Service: $275
    Documentation: $199
    $31,268

A $1,169 saving from iMotorsports. I plan to contact Brewers to see if they can match the price as well as Sport Durst Powersports in Durham NC because they are even closer to my home.
    Wow you know that 30k bike will be worth low 20k in about 1 year. If you wait till mid to late season next year it will drop 6k.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Monk,
    Thanks for the detailed comparison. I do really like the fact that the Cardo is waterproof and the new Black comes with the larger speakers and an additional year of warranty (3 total). I hadn't read anything about Sena not honoring the warranty if you did get it wet. In my time I have gotten caught in some torrential down pours that would ruin anything that wasn't water proof. Like you said, it's made for a helmet that is going to be out in the weather so it makes no sense that they didn't make it water proof.

I have written to LS2 support and Cardo support to ask if they can confirm if I will be able to use the Cardo Black with the LS2 Valiant helmet. We shall see.

JP58,
    That is a good point about waiting for the price to go down but I am in a situation where I have to strike while the iron is hot.
    I mentioned to the Finance Minister (the wife) about a month ago that I was thinking it was time to buy my Can-Am. I told her I was looking at getting the Ryker for 8K but really liked the RT which was closer to 30K. She replied, "You should get the one you really want, we can afford it". Well, it's probably the fact that we have literally not left our house since the pandemic started in March and she is hoping that once I get it I will get out of the house and go riding on the weekend with my brother so she can have some alone time. I don't know, but I will take it! The big thing now is whether or not the dealers can even get a Sea to Sky. We shall see.

Spyder Garage

I have not found a dealer yet that can say when the S2S will be available for delivery but most think late January or mid February at the earliest.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    Wow you know that 30k bike will be worth low 20k in about 1 year. If you wait till mid to late season next year it will drop 6k.
    That is one of the problems with having the latest and greatest. Ask me how I know?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Oh, where to start?

First, I'm sorry you chose the Navy. You should have picked a "real" branch (like the ARMY). (j/k)

I didn't think the S2S trim was coming out until after the 1st of the year. I doubt anyone has one yet.

ANY Spyder dealer will service ANY Spyder. You may not get preferential treatment but you'll get service.

I bought a Cardo Packtalk Slim for my last helmet. I've had problems with it from day 1 and at least in my case, customer service was poor to non-existant. Hopefully, you'll have better luck.

HAGO!
    I like that "S2S" moniker. Can I use it in the future?

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I can chime in on the comm units from my experience with both brands. I have used the Sena SMH10, SMH10s, SMH20 and also the SMH20 Evo and also the Cardo Packtalk. The Cardo is hands down the better unit in my opinion. While the SMH10's work pretty well between a couple of units, the SMH20 series were pure junk! They would pop and sound like you had a popcorn popper in your ear and would lose connection constantly. I finally became tired of being a guinea pig for Sena!

We ride Adv bikes in a large group so we switched to the Packtalk units and connecting, pairing, using with GPS and cell phone was as slick as they come. I have no real experience with the Bold as I have the Packtalk and added the JBL speakers. I am not a real fan of voice control as most of the time I can't remember what the command is...

YMMV

~Tony

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lotecredneck View Post
    I can chime in on the comm units from my experience with both brands. I have used the Sena SMH10, SMH10s, SMH20 and also the SMH20 Evo and also the Cardo Packtalk. The Cardo is hands down the better unit in my opinion. While the SMH10's work pretty well between a couple of units, the SMH20 series were pure junk! They would pop and sound like you had a popcorn popper in your ear and would lose connection constantly. I finally became tired of being a guinea pig for Sena!

We ride Adv bikes in a large group so we switched to the Packtalk units and connecting, pairing, using with GPS and cell phone was as slick as they come. I have no real experience with the Bold as I have the Packtalk and added the JBL speakers. I am not a real fan of voice control as most of the time I can't remember what the command is...

YMMV

~Tony
    Thanks Tony. It always helps to hear real word experience.
    I have settled on getting the Cardo Packtalk Black and pairing it up with a Shoei J-Cruise 2 helmet.
    I know the helmet is designed to be used with the Sena unit but I found a few videos on Youtube showing it was possible to install the Cardo.

Now I just have to wait for the dealers to get an "S2S" in stock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have settled on getting the Cardo Packtalk Black and pairing it up with a Shoei J-Cruise 2 helmet.
    I know the helmet is designed to be used with the Sena unit but I found a few videos on Youtube showing it was possible to install the Cardo.
    I've got a couple Shoei helmets. They're not cheap but sometimes you get what you pay for. I've had a little bit of everything and so far, the Shoei is the only helmet I can comfortably wear all day, right out of the box. I've got the original J-Cruise and a Neotech 2. The J-Cruise (and J-Cruise 2) aren't the quietest lids out there but they're ok for a 3/4 lid. The Neotech 2 is pretty quiet and fits well. I haven't ridden in summer with the Neotech 2 yet so we'll see how much air it flows.

One of the issues with the original J-Cruise that may or may not be an issue with the upgraded "2" model is the pockets for the speakers. On the original, they're not big enough for most speakers making the speakers stick out and connect with your ears. I was planning on sanding the EPS slightly so the speakers would fit better but didn't get around to it before I got my Neotech 2. Sometime before spring, I'll do that as the edge of the left speaker (more than the right for some reason) would contact my ear and make it VERY sore.

I've only seen a couple YT vids where someone tried to install a Cardo Packtalk SLIM into a Neotech 2/J-Cruise 2. It worked but it wasn't pretty. If the Cardo system you've picked is something other then the SLIM version, I'd think you could sticky mount the box just about anywhere on the lid and make it work. It might look funny but if it works, it works.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    The Neotech 2 is pretty quiet and fits well. I haven't ridden in summer with the Neotech 2 yet so we'll see how much air it flows.
    I think you will be happy. Worked good in the Mississippi and Louisiana summer this year.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I love Shoei helmets. Besides being one of the few helmets that will fit my oval shaped 24.5 inch head, it is the one that literally saved my life.
    Lets step into the way back machine...

The year was 1982 and I was stationed in Vallejo CA attending Data Systems A school.
    One afternoon, as I was heading back to base on my Honda Hawk, a car pulled out in front of me from a side street and I slammed into the side. I flew through the air landing on my shoulder's and my head snapped back and crushed my full face Shoei helmet. It cracked all the way through down the side to where the strap attached to the helmet and the strap came free. As I flipped back up the helmet flew off but luckily at that point I didn't need it anymore. It wrenched my glasses and snapped my nose as it flew off but that was the only damage to my head. I continued to fly through the air and eventually landed standing up thinking to myself, hey, I am OK. I wasn't, when I landing one foot landed first before the other so all the force was transferred up that leg which shattered my knee and I found out years later that it had also crushed the last two discs in my spine.

The helmet was literally squishy afterwards. It absorbed allot of impact. I wouldn't be here now I'm sure if not for it. Thank goodness that even though in CA you didn't have to wear a helmet I always did.

Later I found out that the old man who pulled out in front of me told the motorcycle cop, who just happened to see the whole accident, that he never saw me even though it was a perfectly clear day. My mistake was that I saw him pull up from the side but he stopped and looked right at me so I assume he saw me and I didn't slow down. Of course it turns out he was looking right through me.

Ever since then I have worn Shoei helmets, bright colors, and put lots of flashing lights on my bike. Also I drive extremely defensively just assuming they are all out to get me. Kinda hoping the Can-Am will make me more visible to the cage jockeys but I still won't trust em.

I read online that Shoei had received complaints that the ear pockets on the original J Cruise weren't big enough so they made them bigger in the 2. They also made the sun shield longer because people complained it was two short. It's supposed to be quitter too. I will find out.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I read online that Shoei had received complaints that the ear pockets on the original J Cruise weren't big enough so they made them bigger in the 2. They also made the sun shield longer because people complained it was two short. It's supposed to be quieter too. I will find out.
    My original J-Cruise just doesn't fit the 40mm speakers on my Cardo Packtalk Slim. They stick out just enough that they hurt my ears (specifically my left ear). I was looking at everything tonight to see about opening up the speaker pockets. The problem is that Shoei makes that part in hard plastic over a much softer EPS. I'd have to completely cut out the hard plastic. Not sure I really want to do that. I like my Cardo comm system and I like my J-Cruise but it doesn't look like they're compatible. I still have a SENA SMH10 in my Bell Mag 9/Sena helmet. I might see if those speakers will fit. I don't really like the big unit sticking off the side but I like my tunage so something will have to be done. Not sure I want to drop another $500 on a J-Cruise 2 especially since the Packtalk Slim won't integrate well into that, either. Little bit of a dissapointment but, you know, whatever.

Shoei did lengthen the interior sun visor on the J-Cruise 2. I don't think the one on the original is bad but I can see (no pun intended) how many find it lacking. Not sure if they made the 2 quieter. The original is a bit loud, even for a 3/4 lid but it fits so well, I just turn the volume up on the stereo.

HAGO!

Spyder Garage

There is a member of the Charlotte Spyder Ryders that has a Sea 2 Sky Spyder on order. She was told delivery will not be until around January. (ordered from Iron Horse Motorcycles in Monroe, NC which is where I bought my 2020 RTL). I don't think there are any anywhere to be seen except for maybe a preproduction show bike. As to the communication, I have had the Sena 20 and 30 series, and had nothing but problems with them. I now have the Cardo Packtalk Bold Dual units and couldn't be happier. They work as advertised which is more than I can say for the Sena. Welcome to the forum. There is great information here.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Cardo Paktalk vs Sena 50S for intercom use.
    I've had both. The 50S has similar speakers to the JBLs so sound is comparable. Pactalk is more of a PITA to install than 50S. Both have Mesh Intercom which is far better than BT. My friends and I have no problem connecting to SAME BRAND Mesh systems but were not able to cross-breed between brands except with BT. The guys with Cardos returned/sold them and switched to the 50S. Now we automatically join went in range.
    If intercom isn't important, I'd lean towards the Sena 50s because it can be mounted with 2-sided tape if the lid can't take a clamp.

Moral is: Both are excellent, get the one that your friends are using or struggle to communicate.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White