Spyder Garage

Default Steering Bolt Stripping Prevention

I am getting ready to tackle taking the two top steering bolts off of my new 2020 RTL to install my GPS mount. I am looking for advice on how to prevent stripping these bolts as I have seen quite a posts from frustrated owners asking "how to" remove stripped steering bolts, but upon researching here not many tips on how to prevent this in the first place. These bolts are obviously super tough to remove and have loctite applied. I purchased a quality metric hex wrench set and the 7mm fits really good. Other than putting a towel down to prevent bolts from falling down into the console/engine compartment and hitting the wrench top with a hammer to make sure the hex seats in the bolt tightly, any other advice?

Spyder Garage

Use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm the bolt heads up before trying to loosen. Don't get so hot that you burn the paint. Make sure your allen socket fits snuggly in bolt head If you use a allen socket, you can rap it a couple times with hammer before you loosen, once it is warm.
    2014 RT SE6