Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default ABS Fault Codes and Limp Home.

During the installation of Jim's SmoothSpyder belt tensioner I had the rear end of my RT jacked up and I ran the engine in gear to look at the tracking of the belt and tensioner pulley. I did this several times, maybe 6 or7. Now the trike is ready to go the ABS warning is flashing at me and I've also got a Limp Home Mode.

I guess the ABS is in shock because for a spell I had the rear wheel spinning while the front ones were still. I imagine if I were an ABS monitoring unit this would cause me some concern, too!

The fault codes are C006C, C0034 and C0031.

Is there some way I can reset the ABS system?
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 07-19-2012 at 02:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Spyder Garage

Default ABS Fault Codes an Limp Home

I had this happen to me when I was tracking my drive belt. I left it sit for a day or so and it was still in Limp Mode. I took it out for a ride and within 50 yards of pulling out it went out of limp mode and cleared itself of all fault codes.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

C006C = VSS CAN message plausibility error
    C0031 = Wheel speed sensor 1 (LF) failure
    C0034 = Wheel speed sensor 2 (RF) failure

This would be normal when the rear wheel moved but the fronts did not. After riding a short ways it should clear or be able to be reset via a reboot.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, guys. My house sits atop a small hill and I needed some reassurance that I'd be able to stop OK before hitting rock bottom!

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Your brakes will still work, but the ABS feature won't. It may take more effort to stop, and some corrections to keep your line. Limp mode is very appropriate in this case, since your former braking ability is diminished. Less speed is a good thing under those circumstances.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Your brakes will still work, but the ABS feature won't. Less speed is a good thing under those circumstances.
    As I've noticed frequently in your posts, Scotty, your logic is impeccable.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

rember the key out walk away for 10 min it will reset.try it you will love it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by napper39 View Post
    rember the key out walk away for 10 min it will reset.try it you will love it.
    It didn't work. I tried really hard to make it happen, it sounded a really cool idea. The only machine I've ever heard of with self-repairing properties is Startrek's Mr Data, but he's way off in the future. Maybe the 2014 Spyder will be able to self-repair. Maybe it'll be able to talk, too.

Back to your amazing idea. I gave both sets of Spyder keys to my missus to take into the village on her regular morning shopping trip. She had that, "Are you ******* serious?" look on her face, which always makes me feel small and stupid. First time I saw that look was on our honeymoon when I broke the news that I wanted us to have eight kids. She came around to my way of thinking, though. She said OK to the eight but I'd better learn to have 'em myself. We ended up with one, as a compromise.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    It didn't work. I tried really hard to make it happen, it sounded a really cool idea. The only machine I've ever heard of with self-repairing properties is Startrek's Mr Data, but he's way off in the future. Maybe the 2014 Spyder will be able to self-repair. Maybe it'll be able to talk, too.

Back to your amazing idea. I gave both sets of Spyder keys to my missus to take into the village on her regular morning shopping trip. She had that, "Are you ******* serious?" look on her face, which always makes me feel small and stupid. First time I saw that look was on our honeymoon when I broke the news that I wanted us to have eight kids. She came around to my way of thinking, though. She said OK to the eight but I'd better learn to have 'em myself. We ended up with one, as a compromise.
    Here I am during COVID-19 lockdown May 2, 2020 looking for ways to clear my codes and reading your post was even better than learning what those codes mean. thank you for the laugh!
    Julio Aburto

Black Currant 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2013 RTL , Black Currant