Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS update #2 vent hose request

Could someone who has had the complete DPS update #2 done please post a photo of the new vent hose, or describe its path? I already had the software update for DPS #2, but they didn't have the vent hose parts in stock and rather than make yet another trip to the shop (and lose half a day of work) just to install a hose, I'd like to install the vent hose myself, it sounds simple enough. Thank you!
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post
    Could someone who has had the complete DPS update #2 done please post a photo of the new vent hose, or describe its path? I already had the software update for DPS #2, but they didn't have the vent hose parts in stock and rather than make yet another trip to the shop (and lose half a day of work) just to install a hose, I'd like to install the vent hose myself, it sounds simple enough. Thank you!
    The pictures are kinda of hard to see. I will try to explain. The vent hose comes from the top of the Canister, drops down the front of the canister, goes forward to the radiator, then drops down through the hole in the frame. The hose has protective cover over it to prevent heat damage.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

tjfischer - Perfect!! Thank you very much!
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tjfischer View Post
    The pictures are kinda of hard to see. I will try to explain. The vent hose comes from the top of the Canister, drops down the front of the canister, goes forward to the radiator, then drops down through the hole in the frame. The hose has protective cover over it to prevent heat damage.

I find this mod really strange. Wouldn't have a thing to do with steering or engine performance. Seems they want that vent away from the hot areas it previously could dump onto... but venting it forward near the radiator doesn't make much sense to me.

If they did this to help with the fumes--- moving it forward is a bad idea.

My personal opinion is this part of the update is done to avoid more fires--- but they won't admit it. What other possible reason would they have?

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I find this mod really strange. Wouldn't have a thing to do with steering or engine performance. Seems they want that vent away from the hot areas it previously could dump onto... but venting it forward near the radiator doesn't make much sense to me.

My personal opinion is this part of the update is done to avoid more fires--- but they won't admit it. What other possible reason would they have?

My understanding it is to help with the fumes. It makes more sense to me to take it forward away form the exhaust, and where the air is cooler than to take it to the rear of the bike.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default the most probable reason . . . .

Firefly, I think they did it this way just to confuse you. Sometimes getting someone's attention is NOT a good thing.

Tom

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I never had a fuel smell till after the UD2UD was done. Now, sitting at a light I smell fuel and when I park in the garage after riding, it really gets bad in the garage. Not sure if BRP made a wise choice with this part of the update. I have looked for any leaks and none have been found, so its most likely coming from the new vent line setup. Gonna move it to the rear and see if that helps, at least while riding.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    I never had a fuel smell till after the UD2UD was done. Now, sitting at a light I smell fuel and when I park in the garage after riding, it really gets bad in the garage. Not sure if BRP made a wise choice with this part of the update. I have looked for any leaks and none have been found, so its most likely coming from the new vent line setup. Gonna move it to the rear and see if that helps, at least while riding.
    You might have a bad purge valve---- I would get it checked....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

You might have a bad purge valve---- I would get it checked....
    Overfilling the tank, or filling it too fast...just once, could do it, too.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

I find this mod really strange. Wouldn't have a thing to do with steering or engine performance.
    Update #2 consists also in flushing the ECM Update #1.

Spyder Garage

I did my own vent tube because there isn't any dealers close by. I ran mine along the fuel tank and exited it along the rear left side vent. This way any fumes are away from where you sit and if somehow it purged fuel it comes out where nothing is hot.

Spyder Garage

Could someone tell me if there is a name for "update #2"? I called my dealer this morning and he had never heard of it. He went online somewhere that BRP posts and said he could not find it. I even got a letter from BRP for the first recall. Is there a web page where he could find any information?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default The BRP site . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by HD2CANAM View Post
    Could someone tell me if there is a name for "update #2"? I called my dealer this morning and he had never heard of it. He went online somewhere that BRP posts and said he could not find it. I even got a letter from BRP for the first recall. Is there a web page where he could find any information?
    This link will take you there. http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/Share/Co...4-4d14e8a6b5ae

Tom

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HD2CANAM View Post
    No letter because this update isn't a recall, just a service bulletin.

I think I heard my dealer refer to this as bulletin 2009-5.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I sent both pieces of information to my dealer.

RT-S PE#0134
    Spyder Garage

My dealer indicated that a new canister and hose is required. For those folks that have done "the update to the update" is a new canister also being installed?

Glynnk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by glynnk View Post
    My dealer indicated that a new canister and hose is required. For those folks that have done "the update to the update" is a new canister also being installed?

Glynnk
    No, there is no new canister. Only the vent tube and the ECM Update

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tjfischer View Post
    No, there is no new canister. Only the vent tube and the ECM Update
    Also requires a hardware kit...clamps, ties, and corrugated cover tubing, as I understand it, no canister.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had 3 updates done last week. 1. 1st update. 2. 2nd update. 3 ground wire for se5. On the work order invoice all the parts used for the ground wire were listed but on the 2nd update the evap vent hose was not listed. Is this a totally new part that was not there before and needed to be put in? Wondering if dealer even installed it because the part # was not listed on the work order invoice.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SE5spyder View Post
    I had 3 updates done last week. 1. 1st update. 2. 2nd update. 3 ground wire for se5. On the work order invoice all the parts used for the ground wire were listed but on the 2nd update the evap vent hose was not listed. Is this a totally new part that was not there before and needed to be put in? Wondering if dealer even installed it because the part # was not listed on the work order invoice.
    I would be really surprised if he did. You'll have to pull the right side Tupperware to check.

Spyder Garage

This is the email I got from BRP:

Greetings Mr. Stelly,
    This is a follow-up on previous contacts regarding performance issues reported after the DPS recall was completed on your 2008 Can-AmTM SpyderTM roadster, V.I.N.: 2BXJAHA148V00****. I am pleased to inform you that a remedy is now in place and invite you to contact an authorized BRP dealership to schedule an appointment for a new ECM software update and the installation of a new Evap canister vent hose.
    Please do not hesitate to ask your authorized dealer for further information on this matter or feel free to email me back if you have additional questions.
    Thank you for communicating with BRP and for your support of the Can-Am Spyder roadster.
    Carlo
    Spyder Web Representative
    Consumer Services Group
    BRP
    J 715-848-4957 USA / 819-566-3366 Canada
    L 819-566-3062
    Last edited by Dudley; 10-17-2009 at 05:52 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.