Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default steering issues after 2nd update

I had the 2 updates done at the same time Sat. When riding on the way home I felt the steering pull to the right twice. Has anyone experienced this after the updates? Bring it back to dealer?

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bummer!!

Makes me want to delay the 2nd "fix" as mine is running great after I performed the "canister" mod.

Yes, take it back to the dealer --- you sure do not want steering problems!!

don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don in E Texas View Post
    Bummer!!

Makes me want to delay the 2nd "fix" as mine is running great after I performed the "canister" mod.

Yes, take it back to the dealer --- you sure do not want steering problems!!

don

And if it ain't broke--- don't fix it---- at least as far as the canister mod and the 2nd update goes!

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default dps failure

I got my bike back Saturday from the dealer after a dps unit repacement. I got about 20 miles on it when it went into limp mode and scrolled DPS unit failure on the dash. Back to the dealer I went and another 400 mile round trip wasted.

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Actually, after the first update ONLY and after about 3-400 miles, I began to have similar issues on Saturday... except it was "blocking" me on left turns.

I took it to my dealer... Richardson MotorSports. They jumped on it as soon as I hit the door... they applied the second "fix"... as well as clear a couple of error codes... and now everything is right with the world again.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am also starting to see problems. No surging or hesitation, but one in a while the steering column will start shaking. I did not check tire pressure yet, but being an intermittent problem I would be surprised it would be due to tire pressure. It also happens at various speeds and on different types of road condition.

I'll get the second update done before I put mine away for the winter...

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SE5spyder View Post
    I had the 2 updates done at the same time Sat. When riding on the way home I felt the steering pull to the right twice. Has anyone experienced this after the updates? Bring it back to dealer?
    Yep that happened to me twice in TN and I had the first update before at home. The nice brp man at Lamonster's bbq looked at it and said he found a "steering anomoly" and did the 2nd update and all has been good since (knock on wood). It was freaky too - I had to yank it to the left to get it back in position!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    Actually, after the first update ONLY and after about 3-400 miles, I began to have similar issues on Saturday... except it was "blocking" me on left turns.

I was driving the spyder and draboo was on his honda and I noticed that there was a "blocking" on turning the wheels left, what a strange feeling. I guess that is what you call it. I would turn to the left and nothing then a sharp turn to the left like a jerking while going down the road, it felt like the wheels were locked in place for a second. I told Draboo and he rode it but it was back to normal. I rode it yesterday and all was well, off for the second update. It's a little frightening when that happens. ruby

Way2Fast

In my opinion BRP is barking up the wrong tree with the mandated steering fix recall. Any problems with the bars making a sudden unexpected "pull" to either side is being caused by a computer malfunction in the STABILITY CONTROL system. It appears to be causing the brakes to apply to only one of the two front wheels making the bike pull to the side where the wheel is braking. Ever since the time my Spyder decided to unexpectedly change lanes and go into the opposing traffic, which could have resulted in a head on collision, it spends 99% of it's time as an ornament in my garage !! I wonder how many people have been injured or killed before BRP was forced into doing a recall....which still doesn't appear to fix the inherent problem !

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Way2Fast View Post
    In my opinion BRP is barking up the wrong tree with the mandated steering fix recall. Any problems with the bars making a sudden unexpected "pull" to either side is being caused by a computer malfunction in the STABILITY CONTROL system. It appears to be causing the brakes to apply to only one of the two front wheels making the bike pull to the side where the wheel is braking. Ever since the time my Spyder decided to unexpectedly change lanes and go into the opposing traffic, which could have resulted in a head on collision, it spends 99% of it's time as an ornament in my garage !! I wonder how many people have been injured or killed before BRP was forced into doing a recall....which still doesn't appear to fix the inherent problem !
    OK so then all we gotta do is yank the vss. Someone will come up with a way on how - just might take a little time

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Had the recall done and the Spyder is now pulling or sticking to the right. Try to adjust and nothing happens and then it will jerk to left. Did not do recall 2, 2300 miles on 08 SE

Way2Fast

Quote Originally Posted by slather1 View Post
    Had the recall done and the Spyder is now pulling or sticking to the right. Try to adjust and nothing happens and then it will jerk to left. Did not do recall 2, 2300 miles on 08 SE
    Submit a complaint to the NHTSA. You can do it on line. I just completed mine and I had to advise them that the Can-Am Spyder Roadster IS NOT A CAR OR TRUCK. it is a 3 wheel trike that should be listed under motorcycles and not cars and trucks. Talk about lack of knowledge, but what else can we expect from the government !!

Spyder Garage

I know that is your opinion - but you're stating it as fact--- which has not been confirmed. I really don't think this is VSS related.

Since you no longer have your DPS turned on - if you are correct about the VSS causing the problem - then turning the DPS off should NOT have 'fixed' your problem.

Is your Spyder still acting up with the DPS turned off?

If not --- then your theory is pretty much busted......

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Way2Fast

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I know that is your opinion - but you're stating it as fact--- which has not been confirmed. I really don't think this is VSS related.

Since you no longer have your DPS turned on - if you are correct about the VSS causing the problem - then turning the DPS off should NOT have 'fixed' your problem.

Is your Spyder still acting up with the DPS turned off?

If not --- then your theory is pretty much busted......
    I'm basing my "theory" on the fact that my DPS has never worked from day one, yet I still had the vehicle pull to the left and make a lane change. When operational, the DPS seems to try and prevent a correction on the part of the driver AFTER the unintended change of direction. I'm afraid that having the DPS fuses pulled will not prevent the unintended directional changes from occuring in the first place.

You ask...."is my Spyder still acting up with the DPS turned off ?" ...Since my second seering mishap, I haven't taken it out of the roads in my developement to risk finding out and probably won't.
    Last edited by Way2Fast; 10-26-2009 at 02:34 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm basing my "theory" on the fact that my DPS has never worked from day one, yet I still had the vehicle pull to the left and make a lane change. When operational, the DPS seems to try and prevent a correction on the part of the driver AFTER the unintended change of direction. I'm afraid that having the DPS fuses pulled will not prevent the unintended directional changes from occuring in the first place.

You ask...."is my Spyder still acting up with the DPS turned off ?" ...I haven't taken it out of the roads in my developement to risk finding out and probably won't.
    How many miles on your Spyder?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I never had a probelm with my steering, At about 5k I ajusted my front
    shocks [only] one noch up, I IMMEDIATEY went for a ride and as soon as i
    pulled off my driveway the steering locked. Had to pull hard to turn left.
    Felt a click before it turned. I just though the computer had to learn the new setting, So after a hundred miles or so it went back to normal.
    Did the recall at 6.5k. Have 9+K now. But twice after the recall when
    slowing down for a red light it slid to right [like i was on ice] I had to turn
    hard to the left [click again]. Just did two hunderd miles this Sunday steering worked fine. I'm thinking maybe the front right brake is locking by
    it's self, that would pull the bike to the right.

Spyder Garage

I didnt think the second update had anything to do with the steering. I thought it was just to address engine running issues. The second update was supposed to be optional. If this steering issue is still occuring after the recall, BRP and NHTSB ought to be notified the recall doesn't work. From what I gathered from my conversation with Carlo the recall is the only fix they have for this.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have niticed while riding in the twisties that when the VSS kicks in to brake either front wheel I can hear the pads on the disc quite clearly.
    Have you or anyone else noticed this very distinct brake noise during these "steering anomalies" It might just help pinpoint whether the problem is DPS or VSS.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Nope, all I heard was a popping noise once I got the steering back to center.

No break or break pad noise at all w/ my situation.

Quote Originally Posted by gazey View Post
    I have niticed while riding in the twisties that when the VSS kicks in to brake either front wheel I can hear the pads on the disc quite clearly.
    Have you or anyone else noticed this very distinct brake noise during these "steering anomalies" It might just help pinpoint whether the problem is DPS or VSS.

Spyder Garage

Default Steering issues

After reading all about the steering problems some are having, I feel real lucky. I haven't had any of the problems. I had the dealer updates completed. the dealer seems to know his stuff. (Seymours Motorized Sports, Latham NY). I hope everybody gets their problems corrected, as for me I have 5K and so far so good...