Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile Where to mount the XM antenna - location?

So I am all set to get my Zumo 550 for xmas. I wired power from the aftermarket power bus (awesome product by the way), and did the RAM Mirror Stem Mounts - Flat on the NMN 4" risers. Now I also have a GXM 30 antenna which I can plug into the 550.

So question I have for the smart folk, where is a good place to mount the GXM 30? Looking to see what the collective of smart and savy Spyder riders have done in mounting a GXM 30. Pics would be great too!

I learn so much from you all. One day I shall be as wise and seasoned!

Cheers!

Mole

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Mole,

Take a look at how I did it on my GL1800 Goldwing. It might give you some ideas on how to adapt it to your Spyder. Lot's of pictures.

http://www.ridersrally.org//bb3kit/p...p?f=19&t=20648

I'll be doing it on my new RT-S when it comes in.

Hope this helps. Would like to see your final install when you get it finished.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Red face

Mark,

Thanks that is pretty sweet and I have seen other set ups like that. Now if I could just find a mounting option like you have in the pic. I am looking for something off the shelf that I can use, either on the right bar or someplace with line of sight and out of the way.

Thought from the collective?

Mole

Spyder Garage

Default Installed a CHAD windshield

So I just stuck the antenna using the magnet right there on the metal portion under the windshield. It ends up as the same angle as the dashboard. Has never moved and the reception has been perfect except when I have a mountain right beside me. But I am sure that no matter where I had put it on the Spyder the reception would have been gone also in that circumstance. I ran the wire down into the fairing and out under the steering column and up to the Zumo mount.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by moroccomole2004 View Post
    Mark,

Thanks that is pretty sweet and I have seen other set ups like that. Now if I could just find a mounting option like you have in the pic. I am looking for something off the shelf that I can use, either on the right bar or someplace with line of sight and out of the way.

Thought from the collective?

Mole

Somewhere online I've seen an XM antenna mount plate for motorcycles, maybe on the Garmin site...

EDIT: I just went nosing around in the Garmin site and didn't really see what I remember seeing for an XM antenna. Maybe I didn't see it on the Garmin site.
    Last edited by bjt; 10-06-2009 at 05:19 PM.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Default You could also mount it under your trunk in front

I don't know what you would use to secure it, but I have one in my RV up above the passenger side in the overhead. The front part of the RV is fiberglass and it works great. Doesn't have to be on the outside of the coach so I am thinking it would work anywhere like that on the Spyder ... as long as you don't have it under metal.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default antenna

I removed the instrument cluster and placed it on the metal cross member just under the dash. It works perfect. the magnet holds it in place but I used some tape just to be sure. It is very easy to do and you can't lose that expensive antenna if it can not be seen.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Interesting, I never thought of that. But...

Eureka,

Interesting, I never thought of that. But... I have one problem with that location as I have the power bus sitting there, which powers the GPS and many other items for me.

Do you have a pic of the install handy? Please don't go tearing up your dash on the account of me! But I do like your solution!!!!

Thanks!!

Mole

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I mounted the plate that comes with the antenna on top of the dash and ran the wire up through the dash it works great. A young couple were walking by the Spyder I was standing a few feet away having a smoke and the girl asked the guy what kind of bike is that? He glanced at the bike and said "That's that new Garmin Bike!"

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default mount

Sorry no pictures to show you. The bike is two hundred miles away at the dealer getting a new steering computer.