Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
I like escargot. Usually only see or get it on a cruise ship, though. Probably a good thing, because they always serve it drowning in butter. It should come with a certificate good for a free heart bypass surgery.
I have always liked "odd" foods. Growing up in my family, we ate all kinds of German foods but also a wide variety of international foods my Mom liked to cook. We also "supplemented" our diet with squirrel, rabbit, and all sorts of fishes that people would turn up their noses at -- including carp and gar. The latter fishes have an undeservedly bad reputation; the taste all depends on whether they come out of clear or muddy water and whether you clean and prepare them promptly.
A few months ago I was eating barbecued cuy (guinea pig) in Peru. It's a delicacy there and actually pretty good. My Filipina wife of 32 years turned up her nose at the cuy, which was pretty funny for a woman from a country where they eat balut (boiled embryonic duck eggs), bagoong (fermented shrimp paste), dinuguang (blood soup), kawaling (tripe soup) and various other delicacies. Personally I like all that stuff except the bagoong (fermented shrimp paste). The wife loves it, especially on unripe (green) mango. Bagoong is okay as one ingredient in kare kare (stew), but otherwise I never grew fond of it. She would like everyone to know that they do NOT eat dog in the Philippines, at least not that she has never ever heard of. Perhaps in some remote provinces, not in Manila where she's from.
You forgot the monkey meat on a skewer from sidewalk vendors.