Thread: Tire size

Spyder Garage

Default Tire size

Will a General Altimaz RT43 tire fit a 2017 RT Oem rear rim? Size 215/60R15

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scanel View Post

Check out this thread (one of many on this topic) http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t=altimax+rt43
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Tire

The reason I am asking is because I purchased this tire and took it down to the canam dealer and they said they could not get it on my rim. Ended up paying 180.00 for another Kendra.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The reason I am asking is because I purchased this tire and took it down to the canam dealer and they said they could not get it on my rim. Ended up paying 180.00 for another Kendra.
    They lied. Both my RTs have this tire on the rear.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 11-07-2018 at 06:54 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have that exact tire on my F3L. They lied.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

That's the tire and size I am running so I guess I am the third to call your dealer a liar (misinformed, uneducated, or just plain misleading you at your expense).
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default WHAT DEALER??????

MUST NOT BE HONDA OF W/S. I TOOK THEM THAT REAR TIRE AND THEY PUT IT ON AND BALANCED IT. I TOOK IT OFF MYSELF. STAY AWAY FROM KP MOTOSPORTS IF YOU WENT THERE
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Honda of W-S did same for me with same Altimax tire.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Michael's Power Sports of Reno mounted and balanced the same tire for me----- no balance weights needed. No questions asked.

Show this thread to you dealer.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Tire

To answer one question, yes it was Honda in Winston-Salem and I will be going back to talk to the manager. Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. I do not know if they were just wrong or taking advantage of a senior female.

Spyder Garage

Angry

Probably the latter. It happens all to often.
    There are hundreds of us on this site that have auto tires on the back of our "s.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Spyder Garage

Default Tire

Went back o the dealer and talked to the manager and he explained to me that the tire was 4" from reaching the rim. So now I am thinking it is the tire. Will notify the company who sold it to me and go from there.

Spyder Garage

Default Tire

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Michael's Power Sports of Reno mounted and balanced the same tire for me----- no balance weights needed. No questions asked.

Show this thread to you dealer.

Lew L
    I did Lew, thank, great idea.

Spyder Garage

Angry

I changed lots of tires. Low profile tires ( aspect ratios of 40 or less) can be real tough with out the extra equipment on the tire machine. A tire technician who can't put a 60 series( aspect ratio) tire on a correct diameter rim is:

1. lying to you.

2. ripping you off

3. doesn't know his job.

( all three??)

As I said before----- hundreds if not thousands of us on this site have auto tires on our 's.

Lew L

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Went back o the dealer and talked to the manager and he explained to me that the tire was 4" from reaching the rim. So now I am thinking it is the tire. Will notify the company who sold it to me and go from there.
    What does that even mean? Not making sense.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Anyone know anything about these tires?

https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tub...iABEgJVWvD_BwE

Spyder Garage

Default Not nearly as good as

Just about any automotive, 4 ply tire is better than an aracnid.
    Lew L

Spyder Garage

Default Low center in rim

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    What does that even mean? Not making sense.
    Hi Pete,

When installing a tire ,one MUST keep the tire bead in the smallest diameter of the rim---- or you CAN'T get the tire eased onto the rim. That low spot is called the low center.
    It's usually 4 to 8 inches short of getting the tire bead on if you don't. Any one who has changed a few tires KNOWS this.
    Lew L

Spyder Garage

Hi Pete,

When installing a tire ,one MUST keep the tire bead in the smallest diameter of the rim---- or you CAN'T get the tire eased onto the rim. That low spot is called the low center.
    It's usually 4 to 8 inches short of getting the tire bead on if you don't. Any one who has changed a few tires KNOWS this.
    Lew L

I wonder if they've just NEVER fitted a car tire before (ie fitted any tire onto a Spyder or any auto rim?) and so don't know about the low centre thing??

Motor cycle rims, especially those that have spokes, often don't have quite the same rim features; & the narrower rim & tire width on most motorcycles means the fitter usually doesn't need to do anything but stretch the bead over the lip of the rim using levers or their fitting machine... that's one of the reasons 'real' motorcycle tires & rims have different bead profiles to car/Spyder tires & rims!!

That 'don't forget to drop the first bead fitted into the low centre' thing is often a rookie trap for newbie car tire fitters in auto service or retail tire outlets, so maybe an experienced motorcycle fitter who's only ever done motorcycle tires before could get sprung when faced with a Spyder & its car tires & rims for the first time, but surely a fitter at a BRP dealer must've fitted some tires onto Spyders before (& therefore should know a little about fitting car tires on car rims?) & surely BRP would include something about this in their Spyder accreditation training for technicians?? I guess there just aren't that many accredited Spyder Technicians around?!? Or someone at that Dealer is just telling porkies?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-08-2018 at 11:58 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I wonder what the dealers' thoughts are about the two people on this thread who said they (this dealer) mounted this exact tire for them. If I were in your shoes, I would confirm the Altimax specs. and make sure your tire meets those specs. If so, then revisit this with the dealer. I would also PM those two people who have had your size tire mounted by this dealer and ask for their permission to have the dealer look at their records to know that your new tire does, indeed, fit. The good reports of the others using this dealer just don't match how the dealer is treating you. Makes me wonder..............
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I changed lots of tires. Low profile tires ( aspect ratios of 40 or less) can be real tough with out the extra equipment on the tire machine. A tire technician who can't put a 60 series( aspect ratio) tire on a correct diameter rim is:

1. lying to you.

2. ripping you off

3. doesn't know his job.

( all three??)

As I said before----- hundreds if not thousands of us on this site have auto tires on our 's.

Lew L
    I've read through all of the responses here; it sounds to me like the dealer is ripping off the OP. $180 for a POS Kenda that will only last 8K miles is a rip-off and with so many here using the exact same tire as the OP, the dealer sounds to be as crooked as a dog's hind leg. Maybe a few of those using the same tire could post pictures of them mounted on their Spyders so the OP can save and take them to that dealer. Then ask the dealer why they blatantly lied and demand they put her tire on at no additional charge and refund what she spent on the Kenda. If they don't do that, bad press on social media can cost them a lot more than what she would be asking.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

When they said the tire was 4" from the rim what they probably meant was that after the tire was put on the tire bead was 4" from the edge of the rim which makes it tough to air up.This problem is caused by A.wide rims,B. tires that were stacked too high during storage causing them to be a little squoshed making it tough to air up.Theyre are several tricks and tools to get around this problem which most competent installers know.If you got a tire that was squoshed,rather than go crazy trying to install a tire that he didnt sell you he may have just told you it couldnt be done.I had a shop for close to 30 years and installed thousands of tires on cars and trucks and I can tell you that people would come in with all kinds of stuff,used,wrong size,broken,illegal,poor quality stuff and they wanted it put on.If it was unsafe I wouldnt do it and I definitely wouldnt gaurantee it.I turned down many tire installs in my career.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Default Tire

I did go back to the canam dealer in Winston-Sale, NC and I did show him the thread. The manager was very nice and he did read the thread. Some of the later info was not on the thread but to make it short he told me the tire would not fit also if I brought another tire in he would mount it and not charge me. I will wait until the Kenda wears out and go to another dealer and see if they can put the Altima on. I want to thank everyone for the help.

Spyder Garage

I did go back to the canam dealer in Winston-Sale, NC and I did show him the thread. The manager was very nice and he did read the thread. Some of the later info was not on the thread but to make it short he told me the tire would not fit also if I brought another tire in he would mount it and not charge me. I will wait until the Kenda wears out and go to another dealer and see if they can put the Altima on. I want to thank everyone for the help.
    FWIW: It's sad you had to go through that.
    When it came time for a rear tire on our 2014 RT-L, I took the wheel to a local tire shop along with the Yokohama tire. They had it on in about 10 minutes. If you have the means, it is likely better to avoid brand name dealers for tires. They want to make that extra profit of selling you a grossly over-priced tire that will wear out three or four times faster than a car tire so they can tighten the screws on you again and again and again. . . etc.

Good luck on your next attempt!
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red