Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Baja Ron's EBC pads do come with instructions about putting on the CDC Disk Brake Quiet. Were you using the EBC pads and did you use the Disk Brake Quiet on the backs?
    Yes I used the old ones from the back of the pads and installed them on the new EBC pads

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rookiespyder View Post
    Yes I used the old ones from the back of the pads and installed them on the new EBC pads
    You're talking about the clips right, not the CRC Disk Brake Quiet paste?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I put the clips back on the new pads

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rookiespyder View Post
    Yes I did all of that and they were fine for a couple of weeks
    I did the same as you and have noticed squealing while braking after a few weeks of riding. No squeal at first after changing them. I'll have to pay closer attention but I think the squealing occurs at slow speed stops only, and maybe only during light braking.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SQUEELING BRAKES

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Did you follow Ron's instructions for bedding-in the new pads as below?

"On a safe, straight, open road with good traction. Speed up to about 60 mph and slow as quickly as possible (hard braking) to about 20 mph.

Then, immediately speed up to about 60 mph again and Repeat this hard braking scenario 4-5 times in rapid succession.

DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP anytime during this process.

After the least sequence, ride, (without stopping if possible) for about 5 minutes to allow the braking components to cool evenly.

The idea here is to get the brake pads very hot. This cures the resins which bind the braking material and also mates the brake pad surface to the rotor surface giving you 100% contact area. You will smell hot brakes, but continue with at least 4 complete sequences. If you do not smell hot brakes, you are not applying enough force and you will not get the desired results. These are intended to be, pretty much, emergency stopping scenarios."
    ....and followed this procedure also .... no squealing either .........I couldn't get the orig. metal backing plates on mine, it was too tight a fit , but I did use the paste ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-26-2018 at 09:53 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just did mine with Ron's pads and I also cut 2 grooves into the pads as suggested. Its been a week with no squealing and only time will tell. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default No Squealing

I just installed all sets, both front and back, brakes on my 2014 RTS. Installed as suggested by BahaRon and have had no squealing. Took the Spyder out and preformed the required speed stops and road for about 15 minutes after, and I have not had one squeak. I did no install the backing plates form the original pads, as Ron suggested the EBC pads are thicker. Hope this helps.
    2011 RT-S SE5 Viper Red
    2014 RT-S SE6 Cognac
    Bajaron sway bar w/ aluminum heims
    Custom Design HM Brake light
    Custom Design Red front fender lights with turn signals
    Lidlox
    Corbin arm rests
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmh9680 View Post
    I just did mine with Ron's pads and I also cut 2 grooves into the pads as suggested. Its been a week with no squealing and only time will tell. Mike
    I did use the backing plates on the front but not the rear.

Spyder Garage

On my short ride this morning for coffee, grocery store, and hardware store my brakes didn't squeal at all. I wonder if it may be temperature and/or humidity related. This morning was cooler than lately, and so humidity would have been up a little. Maybe when ambient temp is up, or humidity is way down, they want to squeal. I'll have to keep paying attention and note what the conditions are when I hear them squeal.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Before I did my brakes it would not squeal on a hard stop, just an easy stop

Spyder Garage

Brake squeal is usually caused by vibration not the disc rubbing the pads. This is the reason for using the CRC Disk Brake Quiet paste.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Brake squeal is usually caused by vibration not the disc rubbing the pads. This is the reason for using the CRC Disk Brake Quiet paste.
    Just curious, squeal is sonic vibration and something is causing the vibration. What would it be if not the pads rubbing on the discs? That's the only thing that changes between squeal and no squeal while slowing down. Or is this what you intended to say but some words got tangled up!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Just curious, squeal is sonic vibration and something is causing the vibration. What would it be if not the pads rubbing on the discs? That's the only thing that changes between squeal and no squeal while slowing down. Or is this what you intended to say but some words got tangled up!
    True, the pads rubbing the discs is what sets up the vibration. The pads are rubbing the discs most of the time although very lightly. When you apply the brakes there can be a very narrow window where the conditions are just so and you get vibration and brake squeal. This window seems to appear at slower speeds as we approach a stop, but the squeal is not coming from the pad/disc contact it is coming from where the rear of the pad contacts the caliper piston. Applying the Brake Quiet paste to the area where the back of the pad contacts the piston will form a sticky bond that will cushion against this vibration. When the brakes heat up a few times the bond gets stronger. The various sprays and cleaners that claim to stop brake squeal will work temporarily, but I am pretty cautious when it comes to spraying anything around brake discs that may compromise my braking. Back when we were campaigning a race bike I was the team member in charge of wheels and brakes. We would spend thousands of dollars for the latest, greatest brake setups. They gave us amazing one finger on the lever stopping power AND often they squealed. We used Brake Quiet paste on those and I use it on my brake jobs. It's easy and it works. Sorry I didn't get my idea across clearly. I am a rider, not a writer and I need to stop trying to be the latter.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Wife and I lived in England for a year back in '88/'89 and I worked in Birmingham. I still clearly remember the incessant squealing of city bus brakes. All day long every few minutes! I think it might have been a "British thing".

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Default Brake sqeal

Problem solved a buddy from work who is also a heavy equipment mechanic told me to ride around a little bit pushing the brake a little as I am moving to heat the pads up. Also he advised me to stop hard with the spyder. I did that for a few miles and now there is no more sqealing. Works good. But thanks for all of the responses.

Spyder Garage

Default Squealing brakes!!

Had new brake pads installed on our 2012 RTL. The new pads SQUEAL!! Any fixes?
    Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Did you go through a new brake pad break in procedure, or resume normal riding? If no break in runs were done, do it.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

The back of the pads should have been buttered with that compound that go's on to keep them quiet, don't remember what it's called, but when I got my last pads from bajaron, he sent me instructions to use it and I told myself I didnt need it, but guess what, off the pads came and I went to the auto parts store and got the stuff and put it on!!! It will work for you also!! Good luck, sorry for the bad news!! Good Luck!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    The back of the pads should have been buttered with that compound that go's on to keep them quiet, don't remember what it's called, but when I got my last pads from bajaron, he sent me instructions to use it and I told myself I didnt need it, but guess what, off the pads came and I went to the auto parts store and got the stuff and put it on!!! It will work for you also!! Good luck, sorry for the bad news!! Good Luck!
    CRC-DBQ.jpg
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I used the above recently and my brakes ( bought from Ron )n are quiet and powerful.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Thanks Ron!! Knew you would help me out!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

shopping.jpg
    The bubblegum stuff recommended will stop brake squeal for sure, but the next pad replacement will take extra time cleaning up.
    This stuff works very well, and brake cleaner washes it away. Water does not.
    This, and new pads, solved the squeal on my 19.
    To OP... who did the pads? It is possible to get the pads in wrong, where leading edge is located at trail. Also, were they factory pads? I've not seen an aftermarket kit come with the retaining clips, and removing those from the old pads can deform them, making new pad install difficult. Just might want to verify everything is assembled the way it should be.

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for the input. What do you recommend for the break in procedure? I hear varying thoughts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carbonation View Post
    shopping.jpg
    The bubblegum stuff recommended will stop brake squeal for sure, but the next pad replacement will take extra time cleaning up.
    This stuff works very well, and brake cleaner washes it away. Water does not.
    This, and new pads, solved the squeal on my 19.
    To OP... who did the pads? It is possible to get the pads in wrong, where leading edge is located at trail. Also, were they factory pads? I've not seen an aftermarket kit come with the retaining clips, and removing those from the old pads can deform them, making new pad install difficult. Just might want to verify everything is assembled the way it should be.
    There are other products on the market that work well. CRC may be the most readily available, so that is why I recommend it.

EBC now includes a complete set of retainer clips with their brake pads. A very good move on their part. I have new clips that I can send to anyone who finds they need one.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Starting to get some squealing on a couple of my brakes now. Thinking if I'm going to pop off the pads to clean/lube everything up, I might consider replacing the pads to some EBC HH. I've had good luck with these on past bikes. With only about 7.5k on the pads, they still have lots of life, but wondering how the EBC's work on the F3 ? Lack of braking hasn't been a concern. Thx for any knowledgeable F3 EBC input. ** And maybe the Bajaron piston tool **

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue