Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Parking Brake Bulletin

Can someone point me to the parking brake bulletin? I had parking brake issues and the dealer says that BRP will treat this a wear and not under warranty and I would like to fight it.

Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Parking brake does need adjustment as brake pads wear.
    For the most part, dealers did it free but I did pay once, 28 bucks for it at a dealer I don't normally deal with. Now if yours is sticky, that's another matter
    6 states down 42 states to go

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It's not just an adjustment. When I put it on it stays on and is very hard to take off. I have to really hit the pad hard the get it unstuck. I'm literally kicking the thing.

This problem happened over night!?!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Get a brick and put it under the wheel.Seriously the brake maybe wear and tear but parking brake should be part of warranty,it is a safety feature.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bersquack View Post
    It's not just an adjustment. When I put it on it stays on and is very hard to take off. I have to really hit the pad hard the get it unstuck. I'm literally kicking the thing.

Try spraying some oil on the key/spring mechanism that locks on the plate with the teeth. I had the same problem. After I sprayed it, I could release the brake with 2 fingers.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bersquack View Post

like i said, if it's sticking it's another matter.
    if your spyder has the new spring for pedal on it your dealer better be ready to fight BRP for their time working on your spyder. it's all up to your dealer to how they present the problem to BRP and how aggressive a dealer will pursue this. one of our ryder in the group had that problem and he had hard time convincing dealer that there really was a problem. i think he did get it fixed. i will ask him what the eventual solution was.

i do believe ryders had success with spraying parts cleaner(brake cleaner) where that locking mechanism is.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

If your Spyder does not fall within the list of models and serial numbers that have the defective parking brake parts, that update will do no good. Have the dealer pull the hard copy of the service bulletin, however. Our Spyder was eligible, but it did not show up on the computer under our VIN#. If you are not one with the defective parts, a good spray with WD-40 or another spray lube from time to time should cure things.

Spyder Garage

My dealer fixed my non-releasing parking brake under some BRP bulletin for no charge. I don't know what was done but it fixed a really bad squealing as well.

Can't see why your dealer won't do it under warranty.

Rod.

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

'08 GS SM5 Full Moon -- after 15,000km sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon -- after 30,700km traded in 2014
    '17 RTL Pearl White -- new-to-me in 2023

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Dudley's right! The day I went riding with Dudley and Jennifer he told me to spray all of the parts behind the lever with WD40. It's hard to believe, but it makes everything about the parking brake work great! It goes on easy and comes off easy - no ifs ands or buts - it just works! Do what Dudley says - Oil it!