Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
The keys were changed in 2014. For prior years you could buy a blank that could be cloned to act exactly like a BRP key. No longer. The Spyder keys are 100% proprietary and no one has succeeded in reverse engineering the algorithm used in the key. That's why you can only buy a replacement from a dealer. The keys are made with a unique ID code programmed in. What the dealer has to do is go into the DESS using BUDS and tell the DESS that such & such a key is permitted to operate the Spyder. There is no real programming, per se, done. It's kind of like typing in a new number into an Excel spreadsheet list of numbers. Takes about 5 minutes!

An option if you really don't want to spend the money for a chipped key and are willing to gamble that you won't lose your real key. Get a plain key blank, ILCO 270, and have it cut to match. You can use it to open the trunk. If you ever do lose your real key you can use the plain key to cut a new chipped key. Then the dealer can program the new key into the DESS. This is not an option with 2013 & earlier. For those one chipped key is absolutely needed to add a new key into the DESS, and you must have at least 2 chip keys when you program them into the DESS.

Compared to other chipped keys the price is reasonable. Something like 15 years ago my brother was quoted $150 to $200 for a chipped Cadillac key.
If I understand you right. If I find a ILCO 270 key blank and have it cut from my original key then if I was to lose my original key I could get a Spyder Key at that time and they could cut it and then have it so call programmed to work in the Spyder?