Spyder Garage

Default Extending USB from rear trunk to handle bars

Hi Gang,

I just picked up Lamonster’s USB cable extension so I can extend the rear trunk USB port up to the handle bars for use with my iPhone. Any tips and tricks on how/where to run the cable? Any videos that anyone knows of? I searched around the forum but didn’t find anything.

Any words of wisdom from the collective would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all,
    Todd

Spyder Garage

Default Following

Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman64 View Post
    Hi Gang,

I just picked up Lamonster’s USB cable extension so I can extend the rear trunk USB port up to the handle bars for use with my iPhone. Any tips and tricks on how/where to run the cable? Any videos that anyone knows of? I searched around the forum but didn’t find anything.

Any words of wisdom from the collective would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all,
    Todd
    I am following this thread as I was thinking about doing the same from my rear trunk. I planned on getting a USB extension cable only - what else did you get in the pack from Lamonster?
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default For what it’s worth

I originally had run a usb cable from trunk to handlebars but have since switched to a spyder dock with usb power and Ram mount. Between the two I much prefer the new setup and found running the wires from battery to handlebar much easier than from trunk to handlebar.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that you can run the USB cable down the hole that the top trunk hinges "disappear" into.
    Then; take the cable down to the side storage compartments, and after removing that monstrously-long ride side body panel: it should be easy to follow your speaker wires forward.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default What Brentc said.....

I came off the battery with a heavy gage line and inline fuse up to the front of the seat. It has an SAE connector on it and I can adapt just about any type connector to that SAE connector. I run a cell phone and two pair of heated jackets off of it all at the same time. No problems and the line is only about 3 feet long. When I'm not using it, it tucks nicely under the seat. No holes to drill, just a couple of zip ties to keep it from moving around. I also use it for charging my Sena's on a long ride.

Spyder Garage

Default This is the item i bought...

Thanks for the feedback all. To answer a previous question, i got this item, with the lightning pigtail:

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamon...er-motorcycle/

I wanted to keep the interface capabilities with the rt controls on the handle bar, speakers, display, etc. Thats why i want to use the rear plug. If i just tap the battery (which I know is easier, since its so close), i would basically have a stanalone unit with no integration, so to speak.

Oh, forgot to mention, I already have the spyder cuff, so l’m looking for a neat and clean visible setup at the handle bar, since the cable came with the attachment parts and screw needed.

I’ll pop the tupperware off maybe durning the week if i get a chance (not lucky enough to be retired...yet) and scope it out. I have a healthy supply of cable ties in the toolbox .

Spyder Garage

eI did something similar. I ran a 6' lightning extension cable from the trunk to the glove compartment so I could keep my phone plugged in and near me. I had most of the Tupperware off at the time doing some routine maintenance and adding some farkles. I unbolted the rear speaker housing and drilled a hole into the trunk a couple of inches below the plug and drilled a hole into the glove box. The male end of the lightning cable is small so I only had to drill a 1/4" hole. I snaked the cable from back to front following wires already there and zip tying where necessary. I couldn't fine the grommets I was looking for so I used a rubber washer I found at Lowe's, cut a slit half way through, slipped the wire into the slot and glued the washer to the inside of the trunk and the glove box. I put a dab of silicone on the backside of each hole also.
    Wayne Bishop

2015 RT-S Special Series
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Default under seat

put a hole in the trunk pushed the wire through left it coiled up under the seat if you want to use it pull into the gas station and while the gas is pumping pull the wire up plug it in close the seat n go....... also purchased a claw for the cell phone taped the claw wire to a coat hanger and pushed it down to the battery pulled out coat hanger hooked up the wire and its all good.
    Last edited by grieppc; 05-05-2018 at 06:59 AM.
    2018 F3s , Gold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grieppc View Post
    put a hole in the trunk pushed the wire through left it coiled up under the seat if you want to use it pull into the gas station and while the gas is pumping pull the wire up plug it in close the seat n go....... also purchased a claw for the cell phone taped the claw wire to a coat hanger and pushed it down to the battery pulled out coat hanger hooked up the wire and its all good.
    I'm getting the Spyder dock from LaMonster but I am extending the audio and USB port from that stupid location in the front trunk to the glove box. What an idea to put those in there. They may have rushed to put this bike together...

Spyder Garage

Default USB

It is fairly easy to install a USB outlet in one of the speaker grills. All you have to do is pop the grill off, drill the hole and run a wire to the battery, (With an inline fuse) and you are done. I got the USB outlet on Amazon for not a lot of money. Not sure but I think it was under $20.00.
    2015 RT S , None Tried one, but took it off. Didn't like it Black and Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With the 2018 I found I needed to have the phone more accessible to me so I got this cable and ran it from the USB in the front cargo, behind the battery panel and up to the center hole the windshield mechanism pops out of and used 1/4-20 screw to attach it to the RAM bracket. Now I can get on the bike and if BRP Connect goes funny I can easily get it back.

fullsizeoutput_b00.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red