Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't fill up!

Spyder Garage

Unless the cable is starting to break and unravel, the travel will be the same every time. I doubt it's different than before, you'd probably break the key before the cable. I had this exact problem with the trunk. The latch plate hung on the pin and wouldn't move quite far enough. A little lubrication solved it. Being the tiniest bit out of adjustment can cause the problem, too, especially a fraction of an inch to far in the direction the latch plate opens. Hangs up easily! Sorry, don't know of a locking gas cap to fit. Another solution is Dzus fasteners for the appropriate body panels, just in case you have to get to the cable quickly again sometime

Thanks for the tips- I'll give it a try.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    As I recall, initially Corbin's instructions had you putting the seat piston back on. I say that because lamonster was one of the first to post that he didn't put the piston back in because it was jacking the seat out of position. He fabbed his own prop rod to hold the seat up while refueling and a few months later, all Corbin seats came with the prop rod. A Corbin seat owner would have to speak up but I just really can't see how else some wind would lift the seat and if it did, wouldn't the seat flop right back down? I would think the seat is heavy enough that a gust of wind shouldn't raise it.
    The seat piston is the only part of the stock seat assembly that is not reinstalled or reused somehow (aside from the seat itself). The Corbin seat is a two piece seat and the place on the Spyder where the prop rod was anchored is now used for the pin that locks the rear seat in place.

I can't see how wind could lift the front seat unless it was in a hurricane or something...and, at that point, you have way bigger problems!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I do not have a Corbin seat, just the stock one. I removed the post because I also had problems releasing the seat at the gas station. I removed the latching post and now on windy days the seat will be in the up (unlatched) position sometimes when I return to it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbitten View Post
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. I do not have a Corbin seat, just the stock one. I removed the post because I also had problems releasing the seat at the gas station. I removed the latching post and now on windy days the seat will be in the up (unlatched) position sometimes when I return to it.
    Now this makes sense. If you remove the latch and leave the piston it wouldn't take much to get the seat up. I could see the wind doing this.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbitten View Post

I guess the best thing for you to do is to remove the seat piston and put some type of prop rod in it's place.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This is why God made industrial strength Velcro. I got the BRP Comfort Seat and after inslallation there was no way in this world the pin would align with receptacle. I took the pin out, picked out an appropriate spot
    on the frame and applied the velcro. Works like a champ and is much more convenient

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by barb36jack31 View Post
    This is why God made industrial strength Velcro. I got the BRP Comfort Seat and after inslallation there was no way in this world the pin would align with receptacle. I took the pin out, picked out an appropriate spot
    on the frame and applied the velcro. Works like a champ and is much more convenient
    Sounds like a fix made in heaven!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have the Corbin. 1st Install I probably didn't align it right and broke the pin right out of the fiberglass. I returned it to Corbin (through my dealership), and got my seat back within 3 weeks. The 2nd install I took a little more time, and aligned it correctly.

When I need to open it, I need to put a bit of pressure on the seat when I turn the key. I know now that my seat isn't sliding back and forth as I take turns. I think I installed it the first time too loose and the rocking motion might have broke the pin.

I have the original seat shock installed on the Corbin. The seat stays up while I refill. I may or may not have posted this berfore.

This post is informative and in no way should be viewed as whining. I thoroughly enjoy the bike and plan to keep it.

Spyder Garage

When I picked up my spyder the tech told me that the cable was
    fractured and that was what caused the problem. They ordered
    a new one and will put it on next week. Still not sure if I want
    to use it....may try the velcro or maybe switch pins

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I pulled the pin out of my parking brake and the wind blew my Spyder over!
    LMAO!!!!

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ahhhh... "The Classics"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a problem , the seat would not release , when using the key. Discovered , after many adjustments , that the spring was weak. Brought a spring and replaced it. Works great now !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Forgot to mention , I also shortened the cable by adding a notch clam ( used to hold errors in place on a bow ) just before the end of the cable .

Spyder Garage

I also pulled the pin when I installed the Corbin's on both 's. I also removed the piston that raises the seat. My Corbin's have the gas door, so there is no need to raise the seat to fill the tank. I don't keep anything valuable under the seat, so have never had anything stolen.

RE: Key in the Spyder. I left the key in one Spyder parked in the front row of a popular hotel (lots of cars, etc.) and it was still sitting there in the morning. Not a common practice for me, but also something I don't worry about.

EDIT: Drats, burned by the old post routine--AGAIN.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But sometimes it's good to go back and re-read an old favorite; just for the memories!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But sometimes it's good to go back and re-read an old favorite; just for the memories!
    This one actually predates me. 2/2010. If something sounds familiar, I usually try to check it out before jumping in.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

lets see, where is a "dead horse" when you need one? I removed my pin as well, and the piston, to hold the seat while fueling lift the seat hard right the handlebar, the seat now rests on the bar. to secure your spyder, hard right your bar and lock it the seat cannot be lifted as the bar is in the way, tah dah!!!

Spyder Garage

I took my pin off just today.The jam nut and nut were just finger tight.If you are going to leave your pin on,you might want to check and make sure they are tight.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

if you line it up and adjust it add some lube it will work fine. If you doubt it or no longer trust it remove the pin and be done with it...good luck..!!
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I pulled the pin out of my parking brake and the wind blew my Spyder over!