Default Phone connection

From the 2018 Owner's Guide:

NOTE: The smartphone must be connected
    via Bluetooth and with a USB
    cable to the USB port located in the
    front storage compartment.
    Note that and is in bold type.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Methinks you guys don't understand the complexities of the entire connectivity issue. First off BRP did not "reinvent the wheel". Bosch's mySPIN has been around since 2013. In 2016 they decided to move it over to the motorcycle world as well. From what I find it is the only connectivity system tailored for motorcycles that handles both Android and iOS phones. Apple CarPlay is Apple only. It is new on the 2018 Goldwings but if you have an Android phone, guess what? You are SOL. Honda cars use Apple CarPlay so that's probably a big reason they went that way. BMW looked at incorporating Android Auto into their cars. Their conclusion, nein! Apparently the capability of integrating it tightly into their existing ConnectedDrive system to achieve the safety performance they want wasn't feasible. They use Apple CarPlay. BMW and KTM motorcycles are adopting mySPIN. MirrorLink handles both Android and iOS phones but it hasn't been adapted to motorcycles.

In short, if you want phone connectivity tailored to work well on your Spyder, and don't want to be forced to own an iPhone to use it, the only viable choice out there is mySPIN. And keep in mind that BRP and Bosch have had a close working relationship since the inception of the Spyder. It's only natural BRP would look to them for a connectivity solution.

Can you not have Android Auto and Apple Car Play both installed and then it works with both OS's? Aren't most if not all automobiles set up this way? The auto manufactures are not developing their own entertainment electronics systems. They all buy 3rd party units that they plug into their dash. The units might be tailored a bit specifically for each auto manufacture but essentially they are all the same.

Its great that BRP used the Bosch system rather than spend a whole bunch of time developing things themselves but was the Bosch system the best choice? If it was is it the best for the rider or BRP? I'm not saying the Bosch setup is bad but it does appear to be very limiting in what it can do. I mean the "BIG" feature for BRP in 2018 is the new dash and connectivity. On the surface the marketing spin and hype looked great but now that we are seeing whats really there I don't know......is it really a "BIG" feature?

Someone mentioned petitioning certain apps to modify their code to work with MySpin. I don't think that's realistic. When Windows decided to jump into the phone/tablet game developers weren't (and still aren't) jumping to write apps for Windows based systems. Android (Google) and Apple have the market. You either play well with them or you don't play. I'm sure their isn't a developer out there saying, "oh I need to be compatible with MySpin".

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    Can you not have Android Auto and Apple Car Play both installed and then it works with both OS's? Aren't most if not all automobiles set up this way? The auto manufactures are not developing their own entertainment electronics systems. They all buy 3rd party units that they plug into their dash. The units might be tailored a bit specifically for each auto manufacture but essentially they are all the same.

Its great that BRP used the Bosch system rather than spend a whole bunch of time developing things themselves but was the Bosch system the best choice? If it was is it the best for the rider or BRP? I'm not saying the Bosch setup is bad but it does appear to be very limiting in what it can do. I mean the "BIG" feature for BRP in 2018 is the new dash and connectivity. On the surface the marketing spin and hype looked great but now that we are seeing whats really there I don't know......is it really a "BIG" feature?

Someone mentioned petitioning certain apps to modify their code to work with MySpin. I don't think that's realistic. When Windows decided to jump into the phone/tablet game developers weren't (and still aren't) jumping to write apps for Windows based systems. Android (Google) and Apple have the market. You either play well with them or you don't play. I'm sure their isn't a developer out there saying, "oh I need to be compatible with MySpin".
    I don't remember what the website was but there is a listing of what cars will work with Android auto and Apple CarPlay. A lot of cars work with both but many have chosen to work with one or the other. An infotainment system that works with both has got to have two interfaces between the car's software and the connectivity software. It's a question of which way will reap the best market returns. I got the feeling from the one article I came across that BMW car group has a real disdain for Android Auto because they couldn't integrate it well into their ConnectedDrive system that is a key controller for all the other electronics. Keep in mind these interfaces have to communicate with the car's electronics, and those are all different. Who knows how many variations there are of mySPIN car/connectivity program interface at the car side. But the phone side is the same regardless of what car has it. I bet the folks at mySPIN and MirrorLink have a lot of good support to help the car folks write their software to work with them. The way Google operates I'll bet Android Auto is put out there into the world and every car manufacturer is on his own to make his car software work with it. Stability of code is not a hallmark of Google and Android. Don't count on today's version of Android Auto in the car being able work with an Android Auto app on the phone in 2 or 3 years. Apple is more stable over time. If you think about it I'm sure you can see why you wouldn't want the apps on your motorcycle dash to work exactly the same as they do on your car dash. Bosch has unquestionably, in my mind anyway, recognized this and so have developed a version of mySPIN for motorcycles. MirrorLink looks like it has not. Apple obviously worked with Honda to tweak ApplePlay for the Goldwing. But a version for the Spyder probably would not be the same as the version for Goldwing. Because the vehicle manufacturer can establish criteria for how or what parts of an app will run on their vehicle dash don't expect an app that runs one way in a Honda Civic to run the same way on a Goldwing.

I don't think car electronic systems are quite as much the same between brands as you may think they are. Even among one car company's vehicles there will be differences. The Cadillac infotainment system ain't the same as a Chevrolet I'll bet. Each system has to have its own interface with the connectivity app. That is why you see the apparent lack of apps for the Spyder. The vehicle manufacturer controls what apps they will allow to run on their infotainment system. You can be sure licensing issues come into play. And some apps may be easier to adapt to mySPIN than can other apps. Nav apps Sygic and TomTom are available for the car version of mySPIN but maybe their internal coding won't adapt easily from touch screen to joy stick and they see the motorcycle market as being so small it's not worthwhile for them to make the changes needed. Who knows, maybe BRP had to pay developers of the initial apps to modify their apps to run on the Spyder version of mySPIN. Will they accept anyone who comes along with an app that can be easily modified to run on the Spyder mySPIN. Probably not, but if the app is great and popular I'm sure they'll consider it.

Was Bosch the best choice, you ask? The way I see it it is the only choice, unless you want Spyder ryders to actively use a touch screen while riding. I don't know the details but there is no way software that is written for touch screen control will convert to joy stick control without a lot of rewrite. It might be that the conversion of the control commands is part of the mySPIN function. Much of that is probably done by the mySPIN app on the phone which means the app on the phone has to be modified to accept commands from the mySPIN app. Software interfacing is complicated, and software development is expensive.

Two things I'm willing to stake my bets on. First, there will be more apps available in the next few years as demand for them becomes apparent. And second, I'll bet there will be compatibility between new phones and new versions of apps and 2018 Spyders for a longer time period than there will be in the Android Auto world, especially since Google is rumored to be considering dropping Android development.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    You are correct. Also from the video they said it was built on "myspin" and only apps that are compatible with "myspin" will work. Unfortunately, I'm sure that's going to greatly limit the smartphone apps users will be able to use.

You can read about myspin here. Looks like there are 46 compatible apps
    http://www.bosch-softtec.com/myspin.html

I guess I see two benefits.
    Your phone is tucked away somewhere rather than being out in the elements.
    You can navigate to different apps while riding

Not sure those benefits are worth the $?
    Rob,
    Perhaps my 'puter is taking the day off... I can't find any link on that site to a list of compatible apps...
    Can you please get me pointed in the proper direction?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Rob,
    Perhaps my 'puter is taking the day off... I can't find any link on that site to a list of compatible apps...

http://www.bosch-softtec.com/myspin_apps.html

Spyder Garage

Rob,
    What there is is a bunch of icons of apps that are available to work with mySPIN, auto version. Not all of those apps work with every vehicle that uses mySPIN. There is no list of apps specific to the motorcycle version of mySPIN, and I'm not sure that all the apps that have been made to work with the Spyder version of mySPIN are in that list.

You can't find a list of apps compatible with the Spyder because there isn't one, yet.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    What there is is a bunch of icons of apps that are available to work with mySPIN, auto version. Not all of those apps work with every vehicle that uses mySPIN. There is no list of apps specific to the motorcycle version of mySPIN, and I'm not sure that all the apps that have been made to work with the Spyder version of mySPIN are in that list.

You can't find a list of apps compatible with the Spyder because there isn't one, yet.
    I was told by my Dealer that there are currently just three apps that work with it...

...But lots more are on the way!

Spyder Garage

I was told by my Dealer that there are currently just three apps that work with it...

...But lots more are on the way!
    I meant no list, not no apps!!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

From BRP's website there are 4 apps mentioned. I quote.

Be the first rider on the open road to access different vehicle-optimized smartphone apps with Can-Am Spyder. Get directions with Genius Map†, listen to your favorite songs with Music, check the weather with Accuweather †, share experiences with your community with Rever†, and more — all while enjoying your ride.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What exactly does "share experiences with your community" mean?
    I could take a smartphone into an outhouse with me, but I don't think that folks would want me to share THAT experience!

Spyder Garage

What exactly does "share experiences with your community" mean?
    I could take a smartphone into an outhouse with me, but I don't think that folks would want me to share THAT experience!

CORRECT.

Still waiting for my 2018 demo to arrive

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ya, me too!!! Thinking of threatening my dealer that If I get to sit on the new Goldwing I might get that instead. They're waiting also so not much of a threat.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red