Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
Lack of power is not what is keeping younger folks away from HD's, Spyders, Wings, or any other large bikes. It is the price. My son is an avid motorcyclist and rides every chance he gets. He rides a Honda 1100 Shadow which is a great bike and he has been cross country twice on it. With a family, mortgage, car payments, etc. he just doesn't have $20,000 or more to plop down on a new bike. Anyway, back to the original idea of this post. When I ride my Spyder it is two up 95% of the time and fully loaded when on a trip. My solo rides and trips are done on two wheels. I would like the extra power that my Spyder may be capable of. One other thing I didn't see mentioned was the dreaded emissions rules that govern what can be on the highways. Since our Spyders are a road going vehicle they must be tuned to pass these regulations. Are the off highway vehicles tuned to meet these regs or are they allowed to "run free" so to speak.
Off road vehicles have restrictions for the manufacturer from the federal government. That is the reason why they run so lean and hot from the factory. Almost everyone adds some form of fuel adder or tuner to them after they buy them. Most will use a dobeck "blinks box" fuel programmer to richen the mix and cool down the normal operating temps some. Others will run PCIII or PCV. Some are flashing the ECU. There is no emissions testing after purchase in the US that I am aware of in any state, but I could be wrong.