Spyder Garage

Default 2017 RT-S clutch slipping?

After sitting overnight my new 2017 acts like the clutch is slipping a little the first time I roll on the throttle to move out of the garage. Is this normal or should I let it idle a bit longer to build up the oil pressure? I do let it idle a little bit. I never noticed this with my 2012.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My '17 F3S does the same thing on first start up. It is a little better running Mobile 1 4T Motorcycle oil. I have almost 16k on the clock.

Spyder Garage

I am not sure what your asking. The clutch is suppose to slip when taking off from stopped. If it did not when it engages you would fall off the back, face plant into the windshield depending on which direction you are going or stall the engine.

Now if you're saying it is a little stiff taking off in the morning. Could be the brakes sticking a little. Not unusual.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I am not sure what your asking. The clutch is suppose to slip when taking off from stopped. If it did not when it engages you would fall off the back, face plant into the windshield depending on which direction you are going or stall the engine.

Now if you're saying it is a little stiff taking off in the morning. Could be the brakes sticking a little. Not unusual.
    I'm saying that it doesn't seem to move right away and was wondering if I should be concerned or not, this is not what I am used to with my 2012.
    It could be the brakes sticking I don't know that is why I asked.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post

They have a bit of stutter when cold. Mine has always done that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2Paw View Post
    I'm saying that it doesn't seem to move right away and was wondering if I should be concerned or not, this is not what I am used to with my 2012.
    It could be the brakes sticking I don't know that is why I asked.
    The oil is much thicker when all is cold. I think you are just feeling the affect of cold oil compared to hot oil. On my 2012 RT-L, the shop said that this was normal. I haven't noticed it on my 2014 but it probably is there and I i just ignore it.

Spyder Garage

Default My 15 RT needs more throttle/RPM to get it rolling first pull out from the garage..

Like others have said, the lag getting going the first shift out of the garage seems to require a little more throttle and has a delay which I attribute to getting the oil pumped up to all the system and flowing - JMHO. I too take a little more to get going first thing in the morning, but thats another story. The wifes F3 seems to be a little snappier all around but that could be due to a lot of things. Its normal according to my experience...others will have theirs.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default As I see it....

There are differences as you know the newer models got the new hydraulic clutch and it will act according to the oil and its condition. Never ryden a semi automatic so not that familiar with them but all you read is that it is not fully engaged under 3,400/4000 rpms. It may take a bit for the oil to get to a good viscosity for the hydraulics to enguge as well....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With a "normal" bike, the clutch stays "closed" when the engine is off.

With an automatic arrangement, do the clutch plates stay OPEN when the engine is OFF ??

If so, then the first closure of the plates might be squeezing out a bit of extra oil left on the plates.
    Maybe ??

Anyhow, I've noticed it too sometimes. Warm up or no warm up doesn't seem to make any difference.