Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    Your opinion. So far not supported by the other failure reports in this thread.

And I find it hard to believe that there is no recommendation for replacement.

It's not just an opinion, Easy, it's the engineering derived recommendation from the belt manufacturer supported by the actual experience of all those other Spyder ryders & similar belt users out there!! Apologies to them & recognising the trauma of their experiences, but really, so what that 3 other Ryders have reported a similar issue in this thread; what about ALL the other Ryders who've been able to ryde many 10's of thousands of miles WITHOUT any issues at all, some for more than 100,000 miles?!

So why on earth do you think there should be any recommendation for a needless change-out when out of the 'over 100,000' Spyders produced, no more than a few Spyder belts have ever failed?? And most of those were clearly attributable to picking up random debris, NOT just 'belt aging'!! And then there's the massive reliability exhibited in all the other uses the same type of Kevlar based belts are put to - the overwhelming evidence is that these types of belts are good for well over 100,000 miles unless they pick up some damage from road debris, & that generally tends to be terminal within a fairly short space of time/distance, so the statistical likelihood of random failure due to age is borderline miniscule.... any less at all and it would be completely non-existant!

Sure, I would've thought that having at least one replacement belt on hand for each different belt required by the various Can-Am offerings would be a smart thing to do from a Dealer's Customer Service point of view, but seriously, do you expect every Dealer to stock & every owner to change out their engine or their frame every 100,000 miles too?? What about their ball joints, or the front pulley, or any of the other components we hear about people having issues with here on the Forum?? Cos all those components actually have a significantly greater failure rate than the belts do!! Should they have a scheduled replacement too?!

Sorry, it's early here, I need

Ps: I'm glad you got out of that one without too much hassle IGETAROUND, & I'd assume the Dealer who did such a great job of getting you back on the road once your son picked up the spare DID check both the pulleys for damage?? Did they give you any idea of why they thought it failed in the first place??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-24-2017 at 07:41 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!