Free Thinking Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Carbon Monoxide Poisoning While Driving Ford Explorers.

People are passing out from carbon monoxide poisoning while driving. This has been going on since 2012 but I just heard about it a couple weeks ago. Shame on you Ford for doing nothing (that I know of) about this.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

According to mainstream media, and Ford, this problem has only affected the police interceptor versions of the Explorer.

According to Ford they have been working on this issue for some time but the very few incidences of this issue make diagnosis very difficult. Additionally, most police departments of any size tend to modify their vehicles and Ford is not necessarily aware of these mods.

So far only two police departments have reported problems: Austin, TX and Auburn, MA.

Free Thinking Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    According to mainstream media, and Ford, this problem has only affected the police interceptor versions of the Explorer.

According to Ford they have been working on this issue for some time but the very few incidences of this issue make diagnosis very difficult. Additionally, most police departments of any size tend to modify their vehicles and Ford is not necessarily aware of these mods.

So far only two police departments have reported problems: Austin, TX and Auburn, MA.
    And you believe Ford? I wouldn't believe anything coming from the manufacturer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

First it was a rollover issue they blamed on Firestone tires an now this.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    And you believe Ford? I wouldn't believe anything coming from the manufacturer.
    Yes, your original post was quite clear about that.

Given the very few incidences reported so far it seems logical that something out of the ordinary is going on here. I personally would not be so quick to jump on Ford, or any other vehicle manufacturer, until more is known about the problem. And, again, let me point out that this problem, so far, has only affected the Explorer Police Interceptor version and not civilian Explorers.

Years ago there was a similar problem where people died sitting in an idling vehicle. The vehicles were inspected by many different agencies and no problem was found. Turns out that those victims had backed their cars into snow banks and the snow had plugged up the exhaust pipes to the extent that CO entered the passenger compartment and killed them. By the time they were found the heat from the engine had melted the snow but it was too late for the occupants.
    Last edited by RinconRyder; 08-03-2017 at 04:35 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    First it was a rollover issue they blamed on Firestone tires an now this.
    Any vehicle with the high center of gravity such as an SUV is subject to roll over and Ford has been using Firestone tires for a very long time. Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone were great pals back in the day. Early Explorers were so unstable they earned the nickname "Exploder" which was largely due to defective tires.

The first thing I did when I bought my first new Ford (1961 Galaxie) was to toss the Firestones and mount a decent tire. OEM tires are not generally the top of the line quality no matter what the brand but I have never been fond of Firestones. We used to call them "quickblows".

To get an idea of what I mean just do a forum search for "Kenda" and note how many Spyder owners are apparently not impressed with their OEM tires.
    Last edited by RinconRyder; 08-03-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had one of the Explorers when they first came out... (Model year 1991.)
    It never flipped me over on my head, and it certainly didn't try to poison me.
    But I did my best to try and kill it; without success...
    One 55 mph deer impact
    One head-on collision
    Then: I got T-Boned at an intersection...

It still ran great when I traded it in!
    (But it was a VERY unlucky SUV! )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black