Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy trip

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Fantasy trip

Most of us have been reading Dudley's & Kjens blog on their bucket list journey from the tip of Calif. (yards from the Mexican border) to the tip of Maine and beyond. They are now are their way back (God speed BTW) with a myriad of stories to share.

What is your "fantasy trip" on your Spyder? A trip that you can actually "might" do if things were right. Maybe you already did it.

I've got two. I would like to visit the four corners of California starting with a PCH run from Border Field State Park in San Diego to Pelican State Beach near Oregon.

Second, I would like to invite all Spyder Ryders to the center of the continental US: Lebanon, Kansas. We get together, have a beer, and ryde back. Just to say we did it.

The geograpical center of the 50 states BTW is Castle Rock, South Dakota, 1-1/2 hours from Sturgis.

Your turn.
    Last edited by Desert Spyder; 08-02-2009 at 04:25 PM. Reason: PS...I hope Lebanon isn't a dry county.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default A trip I just heard about was . . . .

. . . . from Brownsville, Texas to Anchorage, Alaska - including the Top Of The World Highway. At least 4,500 miles one way.

Does anyone know the woman did this? I would love to hear the stories and see the pictures.

Amazing and admirable!

Tom

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I can't top Dudley and Jennifer's idea. Just get on, pack light, and ride around America for a month or two! No real plan, no mileage goals, no GPS, and no map on a tank bag. That's what motorcycle touring was like way back when, and it appeals to me. On the other hand, I am unlikely to convince my wife of that idea, if I did, and I know she is incapable of packig that lightly.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Desert Spyder when you go to Lebanon don't forget to take your beer with you there are no bars or liquor stores there and I think most of the surrounding counties up there are dry. And don't forget you can't drink if its a Sunday. In fact in twenty nine counties in Kansas you can't drink at all. The third largest party here is the Prohibition party. Prohibition was passed in 1880 the rest of the country passed it in 1919 then repealed it in 1927. Kansas repealed it in 1948 but only 3.2 beer could be sold in bars. 59 counties did not repeal it at all. That is down to 29 now and some of the other counties allow liquor in bars now and liquor by the drink. 2 counties allow Sunday sales of liquor. So don't forget to BYOB.

Spyder Garage

In 2001 I took a motorcycle tour with a bunch of Honda dealers. We started in France and rode to Frankfurt Germany. Our guides were Freddie Spencer and Scott Summers. It was a two week trip and the riding was out of this world. I've done a couple of rides in Italy too and I still have some life long friends there but I think both of those trips would be great on a Spyder.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

For my Fantasy I would like to go up 101 to Vancouver BC then take the Trans Canadian Highway all the way to Quebec then to Maine and the other New England states. I have lived in every state in the US except the upper New England States. Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire. I have also never been in the Upper New York area much as well as Michigan. So I would like to wander a bit there then head home through KY, TN, AR and MO. I would like no time limit but it would be spring to fall. Get home in time for Winter.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DannyS View Post
    Desert Spyder when you go to Lebanon don't forget to take your beer with you there are no bars or liquor stores there and I think most of the surrounding counties up there are dry. And don't forget you can't drink if its a Sunday. In fact in twenty nine counties in Kansas you can't drink at all. The third largest party here is the Prohibition party. Prohibition was passed in 1880 the rest of the country passed it in 1919 then repealed it in 1927. Kansas repealed it in 1948 but only 3.2 beer could be sold in bars. 59 counties did not repeal it at all. That is down to 29 now and some of the other counties allow liquor in bars now and liquor by the drink. 2 counties allow Sunday sales of liquor. So don't forget to BYOB.
    Good thing I don't drink....much. Glass of wine at night....medical purposes of course.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Fantasy trip

I have plotted a 49 states in 49 days epic trip...begin in New England go south to Mobile, north to Michigan, South to New Mexico, North to Alaska (via Banff) and south to PCH and on to Arizona, averages about 300 miles per day...

I will do it some day, maybe in chunks, or maybe in reverse.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Well..... over the years and not on a bike I have logged 1.5 million air miles, Europe, England, Turkey, Greese, South America, and of course US.
    However, one trip that I made was just recently, and I will always cherish it the most and grandest of all. That was to the Owner Event in CA, I met a ton of beautiful people (spyderlovers) that you could hope for in a life time. What a trip, WOW !!
    I do however have one more in mind but it is not that far.... Gatlinburg in Sept.
    Where I hope to re-kindle ole friends and make new ones.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default every state in contenintal us

i did it in a big truck but that was for work
    i hope i can do it
    i am medically retired and not being at home is a huge challenge

i am thinking of a series of week long trips
    any tips?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jrl.spyder View Post
    I have plotted a 49 states in 49 days epic trip...begin in New England go south to Mobile, north to Michigan, South to New Mexico, North to Alaska (via Banff) and south to PCH and on to Arizona, averages about 300 miles per day...

I will do it some day, maybe in chunks, or maybe in reverse.
    Wow..I'd like to see the routes you would plan for that. Can Texas be crossed in one day?

Spyder Garage

Fantasy trip? To be able to take off and go where I want, when I want, how I want, as often as I want.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Fantasy trip? To be able to take off and go where I want, when I want, how I want, as often as I want.

john
    +1 My thoughts exactly.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post

john
    We are really looking forward to our 6000 mile, 3 week trip in September. But I would really love to just be able to see the entire country and not worry about time constraints or having to get back at a certain time to return to my job.
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    +1 My thoughts exactly.

Ditto on that for me.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Funny, me and HDX were just talking about that at dinner last night. I would love to go cross country, take my time and reach Alaska Then on the way back travel the Southern route and then up again back to CT. Just one big huge loop. Then another trip of mine would be Ireland - would be cool to fly over and rent a

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

In fact in twenty nine counties in Kansas you can't drink at all. The third largest party here is the Prohibition party.
    OMG - Can't drink at all?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    Wow..I'd like to see the routes you would plan for that. Can Texas be crossed in one day?
    . . . . . I40 across the Texas Panhandle.

Tom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post

Tom
    Don't they call that Baja Oklahoma?

john

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Smylinacha That's right not at all not even 3.2 There are still moonshine runners up there. By the way no wine!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For my Fantasy I would like to go up 101 to Vancouver BC then take the Trans Canadian Highway all the way to Quebec then to Maine and the other New England states. I have lived in every state in the US except the upper New England States. Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire. I have also never been in the Upper New York area much as well as Michigan. So I would like to wander a bit there then head home through KY, TN, AR and MO. I would like no time limit but it would be spring to fall. Get home in time for Winter.
    Was in Revelstoke BC two winters ago snowmobiling in the Canadian Rockies and road back to Calgary by bus and some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen. Up and over the continental devide, Just Awesome!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post

Tom
    Yep, starting east of Tulsa, we rode across Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico and made it to Flagstaff Arizona in a day. A very long day mind you...
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Has anybody ever been on the Great Mississippi River Road from LA. to Minnesota? I saw this road on the Food Network Channel a couple years ago and put that on my list as well. BTW that Trans-Canadian Hwy sounds super. I was in Nova Scotia and Quebec last year and it is absolutely gorgeous.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I would love to go through Mexico to the Panama Canal but I think the lack of service centers will make this an unfulfilled fantasy.

Spyder Garage

Default Rode the Oregon Trail for our fantasy trip this summer

I planned my fantasy trip during the last winter months along the Oregon Trail. My wife and I actually took some leave from the Army and completed the trip in July. It was perfect. We saw some outstanding country and the Spyder was a hit at EVERY stop along the way. Folks just couldn't resist wandering over to the Spyder at fuel and food stops, rest areas, camp grounds, where ever we stopped. Of course, we heard the same comments about it looking like a snowmobile on wheels and being a backwards trike and we just laughed politely. We answered the same questions like, "Does it lean?" and "Do we like it?" and "How much does it cost?" at every stop, too. We met lots of friendly bikers along the way. The Spyder performed beautifully riding two up and pulling a Piggy Backer trailer with our stuff. It handled 23% grades, Wyoming wind, and mountain curves with ease.

We had one fantasy trip and now I am going to plan one for next summer. I don't know where, yet, but it will be fun planning.

Major Finder