Spyder Garage

Default RT rear shock removal

I was told by dealer my rear shock is on its way out.
    I have been looking for videos. I found one for a 2014 and above my spyder is 2012. I am wondering if the procedure is the same and any shortcuts to get to the top bolt in the video the guy removed the saddlebags and trunk.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REAR SHOCK

I find it interesting how the dealer / dealer tech would " KNOW " this ????? .... Ask them if that's a genuine BRP crystal ball or if you can get one on the internet ....... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I find it interesting how the dealer / dealer tech would " KNOW " this ????? .... Ask them if that's a genuine BRP crystal ball or if you can get one on the internet ....... JMHO .... Mike
    Dunno he just sat on it and told me. He may have driven it around. What mileage do these typically need replacement?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REAR SHOCK - FAILING

Quote Originally Posted by Danz28 View Post
    Dunno he just sat on it and told me. He may have driven it around. What mileage do these typically need replacement?
    Not to get personal .... but how heavy are you ? ... do you often carry heavy passengers ? .... how many miles on your Spyder? ... Do you often travel on exceptionally poor roads ? ... and most important ..... Do you think the rear is not working as it used to ??? ............. just trying to get an accurate picture, ..... not all dealers / techs have your pocketbook as a priority..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Not to get personal .... but how heavy are you ? ... do you often carry heavy passengers ? .... how many miles on your Spyder? ... Do you often travel on exceptionally poor roads ? ... and most important ..... Do you think the rear is not working as it used to ??? ............. just trying to get an accurate picture, ..... not all dealers / techs have your pocketbook as a priority..... Mike
    I'm 145 and don't drive off-road. Belt makes a squeak when accelerating. Belt looks aligned correctly. Need to the tensio. Checked. That would be the only thing I noticed. The tech was driving mine after some warranty work and said it felt like it was going and will need replacement soon. I have only driven mine so I have to take his word on it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Danz28 View Post
    I was told by dealer my rear shock is on its way out.
    I have been looking for videos. I found one for a 2014 and above my spyder is 2012. I am wondering if the procedure is the same and any shortcuts to get to the top bolt in the video the guy removed the saddlebags and trunk.
    Unless he's hearing it rattle or click when hitting bumps I don't see how he can tell that. Mine was rattling and clicking some when hitting railroad tracks or pretty big uneven sections in the road with just me on it. Riding 2up it wouldn't do it. Dealer said the shock was going out. So I bought one and swapped it out, sure enough it rode much, much better and had better feel over bumps.
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series