Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Pete

Saw your Picture but there's only one problem! ELKA shows the same shock fitting a F3-S.
    Hope the Wibers workout and interested in Ride reports.
    I won't buy ELKA!

Spyder Garage

Default The Outcome

Ok, so after some lengthy discussions between the distributor, Wilber and Elka, we have a consensus. The shocks that Wilber have sent will work. The are the same spring rates and lengths and the ride height adjuster will allow me to add the extra 10mm to the rear shock. There is no need to adjust the front as it is designed for both the S and Limited and is working very, very well. Wilber engineers are quite happy to certify that the bottom rear shock bolt seating system, with the two spacers each side, will meet specification.

All I have to do now is find some way of getting a couple of 22mm spanners in to adjust the ride height. Then it is just a matter of fine tuning for our roads.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Pete
    Great news!
    Keep us updated!

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Sooooo. Now that the dreadful weather has moved on, a test ride has been possible.

I have left the front shocks exactly as supplied for my 300lb frame. They handle the potholes well and give a confidence inspiring cornering experience.

I have adjusted the ride height of the rear Wilber to be the same as shock, and have set the preload to above centre (7 turns down from maximum preload.....of a possible 22 turns), giving me 35mm of sag when sitting on the Spyder.

I have set the rebound damping to be only 6 clicks off the softest setting (of a possible 22 clicks). This surprised me, and may need changing, but it currently gives me a pretty smooth ride with no apparent bottoming and keeps the tyre on the ground. I assume the fact that the shock was set for 280-320lbs allows this.

I have had a couple of requests for photos, so below are both the front and rear shocks along with the current bottom bolt setup on the F3-Limited, showing the machined spacers that spread the shock load across the 4.5" bottom bolt.

Thanks very much for everyone's help.
    Pete

IMG_0544.jpgIMG_0571.jpg
    Last edited by Peteoz; 06-15-2017 at 02:52 AM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red