Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Opinions Needed on Windshield Arm

We are planning a 5600 mile trip in May, traveling west to southern Utah and up to Yellowstone on our RTL. We have not had any issues so far with the bike. I'm planning to do a complete maintenance schedule on it between now and then.

My question is this:
    I've read a lot about the windshield arm cracking/breaking and I'm aware of noboot's billet arm to replace it. Right now mine looks good with no sign of a problem. What do you guys think about proactively replacing the arm before this trip? If it were to break(worst case), would it be a show-stopper? Obviously, it would be an inconvenience. What are the chances this might happen, and is there something I could do to to the existing arm to help it to make it for our journey? As I'm writing this, I may be answering my own question, but I wondered what others might do.

What say you, guys?
    Mark in GA

2014 Cognac Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
    2014 Cognac RT-622 Trailer - SOLD
    2014 RT Limited , Stock Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the OEM arm still looks good: leave it in place, and keep Noboot's arm for when you've got LOTS of time, and no chance of loosing any ryding time!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default NOTHING

I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT RT's....
    BUT I DO KNOW ABOUT YELLOWSTONE..... IF YOU DO NOT HAVE RESERVATIONS, EXPECT TO NOT BE ABLE TO FIND A MOTEL ROOM WITHIN 200 MILES... AND WHEN YOU DO, CASH IN YOUR 401 TO PAY FOR IT....
    2 years ago, i searched the web to make reservations a week ahead of time... the ONLY room i found was over 200 miles from the park, it was a single and the rate was $415 per night... OUCH...! ! ! from Utah, we by-passed Yellowstone, and headed directly to Deadwood...
    ENJOY YOUR RIDE, AND DO IT SAFELY....
    DAN P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I inspected mine religiously and never saw a crack. But it broke suddenly in the middle of the Adirondacks last year when a log truck passed us going the other direction. When it breaks, the windshield doesn't just go lower, it also folds back towards you with force, and if you've got any speed up at all, it will scare the crap right out of you. We ended up jury rigging a fix to wedge up the two side brackets with a pair of crocs, believe it or not. Had to run that way for another 5 days. It's pretty much a show stopper. So, to me, lesson learned. We don't always see a crack to give us advance warning. You can replace it in one afternoon. Given another chance, I'd replace it proactively. Peace of mind. But, that's just me. Your results may vary. But as is being documented on here lately - make sure you have the correct tools for the job, especially a good and proper sized phillips screwdriver.

Edit: And by the way - considering it will be 5600 miles, how's your rear tire look and is it the original Kenda?
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 02-26-2017 at 07:08 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Snowbelt. One vote for replace. The rear tire looks good; got 5200 miles on it. Fronts look even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mark in GA

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WINDSHIELD ARM

This item is something BRP should have dealt with a long time ago since they have been breaking since 2011 ..... I'm surprised NHSTA hasn't filed a case against them ..... If you are at Highway speeds and it let 's go ...... it's 16 lbs of very hard plastic coming right at your face at almost the same speed you are travelling ...... That being - apparently no one or not too many have died so far , so BRP isn't changing the PART - YET..... Because it's a known piece of CRAP , when I bought my 2014 RT, this was the first MOD I did. " no boots " hadn't designed His aluminum one yet, so I made a cover of 14ga. sheet steel, two side pieces with a strap welded around the entire arm ..... I have no doubt mine won't break ---- EVER ..... IMHO it's not a case of ...." if ", it will break ..... but WHEN ...... I hope BRP fired the " so called engineer " who designed this ARM ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-26-2017 at 07:52 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

NHTSA deals with safety issues; this one is just an annoyance. When it breaks: it's not going to hit you...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default SAFETEY ISSUE

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;1229740]NHTSA deals with safety issues; this one is just an annoyance. When it breaks: it's not going to hit you... Having the windshield break loose from the bike isn't a Safety issue ...... and your an INSURANCE salesman ...... Than what is it ..... COSMETIC .... Annnnnnnd why do you think it's not going to hit you ..... jmho ....... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GA_Spyderman View Post
    Thanks, Snowbelt. One vote for replace. The rear tire looks good; got 5200 miles on it. Fronts look even better.
    Better replace the rear before you leave. It'll be bald as Yul Brenner's noggin about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through your trip. The fronts will be good for 20k + as long as they don't start shaking or pulling to one side or the other, which is unlikely. If the fronts have problems you'd probably haven't noticed it by now. The rear tires are good for only about 7 to 8000 miles before the center will be worn bald.

Don't worry about the windshield link. The rear tire WILL go bald. The link MAY break. Proactively deal with what is sure to happen.

Do you have motel or campground reservations in Utah already? If not, you may be too late already. In 2014 I wanted to go through the Canyonlands in early May. Made no advance reservations. I was able to stay at Bedrock campground south of the south entrance to Grand Canyon. I found a room in Flagstaff, AZ. Had to give up on the idea of going through Utah. Went from Flagstaff to Las Vegas to home.

Idaho Falls, ID hotels are jam packed all summer, early May to late September, with Yellowstone tourists, but you do stand a chance of finding a room there on short notice. It's over 100 miles to the west entrance.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the arm break on my 2010 at 40,000 miles - prior to it breaking I kept the windshield in the lowest position. I have had no problems with the bracket on my 14 (97,000 miles) but I keep it up about 1" from the lowest position. Having changed the bracket on a customer's bike this week I would say don't replace it unless you have to.

When mine broke I used duct tape to keep it in place while I was on a cross country trip.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

All Valid comments and everyone to their own choice. We made the arm purely for a safety prospective. When it lets go at Highway speed it may not hit you but the chance of losing control and having some sort of accident is all Possible.
    The work involved in making these arms does not justify the cost, many think it's all done by CNC computer which in fact it's not, around 10% maybe done via CNC the rest is all hand made and many hours of individual work. If we have saved one life or someone from a very serious accident then it's all been worth it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

HAs any on a 2014 on up MY year break yet??

I guess I would take off the windshield if it did break until I could get it fixed

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    HAs any on a 2014 on up MY year break yet??

I guess I would take off the windshield if it did break until I could get it fixed

Yes 2014 and 2015 models have broken. And yes some have taken off the Windscreen on the side of the road.

Note: if your bike is still under Warranty you might want to look at a replacement under warranty. We have had dealers replace with the Billet arm and covered it under warranty.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by noboot View Post
    All Valid comments and everyone to their own choice. We made the arm purely for a safety prospective. When it lets go at Highway speed it may not hit you but the chance of losing control and having some sort of accident is all Possible.
    The work involved in making these arms does not justify the cost, many think it's all done by CNC computer which in fact it's not, around 10% maybe done via CNC the rest is all hand made and many hours of individual work. If we have saved one life or someone from a very serious accident then it's all been worth it.
    Your replacement part is great and the price is awesome and I didn't mean to . I just caution people who don't have much mechanical experience or many tools on trying to do the install themselves as it can get dicey if the screws break.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by noboot View Post
    Yes 2014 and 2015 models have broken. And yes some have taken off the Windscreen on the side of the road.

Note: if your bike is still under Warranty you might want to look at a replacement under warranty. We have had dealers replace with the Billet arm and covered it under warranty.
    Do you have any of your Billet arms made up? And where can we get them?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    When mine broke I used duct tape to keep it in place while I was on a cross country trip.
    And I know you have a big can of WD-40 in that trailer too!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the other thread going about a problem I have been having with one of the Phillips head screws. At the beginning of my thread I mentioned why I'm replacing mine.

I still think it is worth the effort. There have been enough of these things break that I don't want to be on a cross country trip and have this thing break. Sure you can sit on the side of the road and try and take off the windshield and hope that that goes ok and then I can see my wife holding on to it while we ride along for who knows how long while we look for a place to ship it home. All the while, the trip is going down hill. Loosing valuable time and all the issues involved with not having a windshield.

To me it is just an ounce of precaution to avoid a whole lot of hassle and I'd rather deal with it in my garage than on the road somewhere. Not to mention the risk involved with the thing crashing down at highway speed.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hmmmm... no one has mentioned the preventive procedure for this problem. I learned it here on this forum, and have practiced it diligently with both my machines. I drive with the shield in lowest position too, BUT...

When I lower it, I then raise it back up just a tad, just enough to isolate the brackets from resting "at bottom" to avoid the road-shocks that cause the breakage. If I'm stopped, I stand up to look over the bars and make sure they raise up 1/8 to 1/4 inch or so. With over 30k miles now on both machines, I've had no problem.

However, if you have NOT done this for the whole life of the machine, the brackets could already be starting to crack... so be warned.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default RESTING AT THE BOTTOM

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Hmmmm... no one has mentioned the preventive procedure for this problem. I learned it here on this forum, and have practiced it diligently with both my machines. I drive with the shield in lowest position too, BUT...

When I lower it, I then raise it back up just a tad, just enough to isolate the brackets from resting "at bottom" to avoid the road-shocks that cause the breakage. If I'm stopped, I stand up to look over the bars and make sure they raise up 1/8 to 1/4 inch or so. With over 30k miles now on both machines, I've had no problem.

However, if you have NOT done this for the whole life of the machine, the brackets could already be starting to crack... so be warned.
    Well I think this is one of the Spyder " Myths " ...... I've had the entire windshield mechanism apart and bench tested it ....... the " ARM " doesn't actually rest on that so called " stop piece " ....it's very very close but I checked by placing a piece of paper on that STOP piece and when the ARM came down and stopped the paper fell off .... I did this a few times and it fell off every time ...... The ARM is stopped " electrically " in conjunction with a circuit board and magnet in the unit ..... similar to the way an elevator functions ...... do you think something comes out from the shaft walls and stops the box from moving..... Now could the ARM ...BOUNCE and hit that " stop piece " ... I believe that's quite possible ........ just trying to keep it real ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

If you can do it before leaving on your trip, do it. And change the rear before leaving! It will go fast! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

I'm planning to do both real soon. Thanks guys.

Mark in GA

Spyder Garage

Post Yellowstone

Last year when in the middle of May, I decided to go to Yellowstone, I called first and they told me the roads would be cleared for travel on July 1st.
    I was in AZ on my trip west from N.E. OH. I ryde a 2016 RTL. Paige,AZ was snowed in too. You may want to wait a little later in the year to travel in that area. My total trip was just about 9500 miles. The Spyder was a great ryde.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, we'll call a couple of days before we go up there.

Mark in GA

Spyder Garage

I was told to back off from the bottomed, or top most point, as that is when jarring from road surfaces will cause it to break.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderleggs View Post
    Last year when in the middle of May, I decided to go to Yellowstone, I called first and they told me the roads would be cleared for travel on July 1st.
    I was in AZ on my trip west from N.E. OH. I ryde a 2016 RTL. Paige,AZ was snowed in too. You may want to wait a little later in the year to travel in that area. My total trip was just about 9500 miles. The Spyder was a great ryde.
    The north rim of the Grand Canyon doesn't open up until sometime in June.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)