Spyder Garage

Default Passenger navigation ideas

Found this online and wanted to see if anyone has used one or something similar. When my wife and I go riding it would be nice if she could have a map to look at and give me directions while we're touring around.http://roadgear.com/backpack-holder-...52ca8b5e95a7aa
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Passenger navigation ideas

She could use her smart phone or any of the tablets. I use my iPhone 6 plus. Ive got it mounted right above the dash.
    file:///Users/thomasholberton/Desktop/VisitedStatesMap.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Brent!
    If you can slide her Kimble into it: she could catch up on her reading!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Map Holder

A friend of mine has had one like this for years that his wife made. She can read a map so it works really well. Only down side is that sometimes he forgets to take it off when he is off the bike and ends up walking around with a map on his back.

Spyder Garage

Default Too funny

Quote Originally Posted by Red RT-S View Post
    A friend of mine has had one like this for years that his wife made. She can read a map so it works really well. Only down side is that sometimes he forgets to take it off when he is off the bike and ends up walking around with a map on his back.
    I think I'll pick one up and give it a go. I had the same thought though about forgetting to take it off. I'll just tell people it's in case I forget where I came from.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Besides stuffing a Kimble into it : an I-Pad would give her an excellent map to work with.
    I agree with you that this is an interesting possibility!

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Brent!
    If you can slide her Kimble into it: she could catch up on her reading!
    Are you perchance thinking of a Kindle?
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not for me or the Missus: no Wi-Fi up here...
    I'm just throwing ideas, and seeing what might stick.

Just some lousy TyPiNg...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 01-08-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Not a Kimble or a kindle

At this point I'm looking for a simple map holder, paper, that I can wear on my back so my wife can put maps in it and follow along/give me heads up for route info when we're putting along.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Nice...!!

I always carry a paper map with me for the areas we are in. I use a similar but smaller view tankbag map holder when alone. Used to get the triptik's from AAA which were the best but with the electronic age carry a GPS which I generally use for addresses only. This would be great but my wife does not do well with maps and we would be doing strange circles and zig zags across the country ..... You do get a better view of the whole area you are in for those little side trips....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default navigation system

Don't need it, got my Garmins, and besides that my wife will tell me when the Garmin is wrong.

In fact my wife has enough information to tell me about anything I am doing wrong.

Good Luck

Spyder Garage

Look, a paper map is great if the other person knows how to read it. My wife is not the best map reader. So I rely on my GPS for the most part. If we become lost, and she can't figure where we are, I just stop and look at the map. Don't get me wrong, the wife is good at a lot of other things, just not so good at map reading.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seems like a good enough idea to try. Not going to be out a lot of money if you don't like it.
    We have done many thousands of miles with paper maps. My wife is a good map reader and usually just tucks it in a pocket or back of my backrest and pulls it out if needed. The only problem is the wind so she folds it up but it still takes a beating from the wind and the folds.
    The plastic might make you a little warmer in hot weather just because it won't let moisture escape.

Gary

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    Don't get me wrong, the wife is good at a lot of other things, just not so good at map reading.
    Nice save Kim!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Missus is already the Official Navigator...

She's always telling me where to go...

...And what to do when I get there!

Spyder Garage

Most times about a hour into the ride my wife is asleep, so the map on the back is out.
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Aracknoid View Post
    Don't need it, got my Garmins, and besides that my wife will tell me when the Garmin is wrong.

In fact my wife has enough information to tell me about anything I am doing wrong.

Good Luck
    how well I know

Spyder Garage

Not a chance in the world I'm gonna have my wife riding behind me trying to tell me which way to go...LOL.. I got my Garmin on the dash...it's all good
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Alright, if no-one else will, then I'll play the Devil's Advocate for a moment..... Have you thought that even if your wife would read/use a map like that, having it ON your back while ryding will make it pretty much impossible for her to read well while you're ryding!!

Consider how close she's going to be to your back when she's on the pillion seat & how much space there is between you & her?? Do you reckon there's room there for her to read anything??

And if that's not enough, consider how well you'd go yourself, trying to look INTO your own belly button, cos I reckon that's pretty much the sort of thing your wife is gonna have to do to read anything on a map that's strapped to your back!!

Oh, & what about her reading glasses - if she doesn't need them yet, the results in the threads on 'How old are all you Spyder ryders' suggest that there's a good chance she's gonna need them soon!!

And finally, have you asked your wife if she'd like to do this?? I don't think just springing it on her & saying 'now you can navigate while we are ryding' is a real smart move - it's sorta like blowing your first wedding anniversary by buying your new wife a flannel nightie AND an new iron & ironing board, & then when she doesn't look too happy about it, suggesting that the flannel nightie will help keep her warm when she's up early ironing your shirts on those cold mornings before you head off for work!! It's just not a smart move on so many counts!!.....

So if you must, at least discuss it with your missus first!! And be prepared for the fall-out!

Spyder Garage

Default Lot of assumptions ....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Alright, if no-one else will, then I'll play the Devil's Advocate for a moment..... Have you thought that even if your wife would read/use a map like that, having it ON your back while ryding will make it pretty much impossible for her to read well while you're ryding!!

Consider how close she's going to be to your back when she's on the pillion seat & how much space there is between you & her?? Do you reckon there's room there for her to read anything??

And if that's not enough, consider how well you'd go yourself, trying to look INTO your own belly button, cos I reckon that's pretty much the sort of thing your wife is gonna have to do to read anything on a map that's strapped to your back!!

Oh, & what about her reading glasses - if she doesn't need them yet, the results in the threads on 'How old are all you Spyder ryders' suggest that there's a good chance she's gonna need them soon!!

And finally, have you asked your wife if she'd like to do this?? I don't think just springing it on her & saying 'now you can navigate while we are ryding' is a real smart move - it's sorta like blowing your first wedding anniversary by buying your new wife a flannel nightie AND an new iron & ironing board, & then when she doesn't look too happy about it, suggesting that the flannel nightie will help keep her warm when she's up early ironing your shirts on those cold mornings before you head off for work!! It's just not a smart move on so many counts!!.....

So if you must, at least discuss it with your missus first!! And be prepared for the fall-out!
    Nothing wrong with playing devils advocate, but you couldn't be more off base. My wife loves the idea of having a copy of her AAA trip tik on my back. What we typically do when we head out is try and avoid the main roads. I have my TomTom go GPS right on the center of my handlebars. I will usually just plug in the destination and follow the GPS, but that usually doesn't allow for the scenic route. With the aaa triptik my wife could plan the route out ahead and have it in the map holder to give me heads up of the general route. If we miss at run or change it up, no big deal I've got the GPS also.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Good Idea!

I'm the passenger navigator on our bike, and think this looks like a great product! Mostly we like to just ryde and see where the road takes us, but when we do have a specific and unfamiliar destination, directions become necessary.
    We also like back roads and the GPS doesn't give us those. And my husband doesn't like to take his eyes off the road to read the GPS anyway. I usually keep a note paper in my jacket pocket and try to memorize the route a few steps ahead, but when I have to take the note out of my pocket, I'm always afraid it'll blow away. A map on his back would be great! We'll definately think about it!!
    Thanks for finding this product! Bookmarked it!
    Happy Ryding!!
    Nate and Lori

2021 Spyder RT Limited--Deep Marsala Red--Chrome Edition

[/B]​Nelson-Rigg half cover, Hopnel side bags and trunk liner bags, , Driver's Backrest, BRP Trailer hitch and control module, 131 DB horn from TricLED, "Shadow" trailer from Mini Trailer USA,