Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default First two weeks of July for me

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    BRENT, NEWFOUNDLAND... ???
    WOW, HOPE YOU'LL BE GOING IN LATE JULY to EARLY AUGUST.... OTHERWISE, YOU MAY ENCOUNTER SNOW....

I'LL BE RIDING NOVA SCOTIA IN MID JULY.... LOOK FOR 2 F3's, WE'LL WAVE....
    DAN P
    SPYD3R
    ill definitely wave. Keep in touch, maybe we can meet up for a ryde!
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Check

Quote Originally Posted by rwebb98 View Post
    Did not see a mention for tire repair kit and small compressor. Bought both at Harbor Freight for less than $50.00. I keep them on the bike all the time.

Have a GREAT and SAFE trip
    Yep, in the tool bag! Small piece if insurance there.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default PM

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    ill definitely wave. Keep in touch, maybe we can meet up for a ryde!
    PM me a week before you leave....
    we're leaving SoCar on the 5th of July... be @ my brothers in Salem, MA on the 7th, leave on the 9th or 10th for Novi....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default Will do

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    PM me a week before you leave....
    we're leaving SoCar on the 5th of July... be @ my brothers in Salem, MA on the 7th, leave on the 9th or 10th for Novi....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    I should be in Eastport, Maine then. My original hometown, staying with family.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Solo Ride

Sounds like a great ride.
    Wish I could take the time off work to do the same.
    How about tires? Will you install a new set prior to departure?
    Cheers, David C.

Spyder Garage

Don't forget to notify your credit card company that you will be traveling out of the area and give them the dates of the states that you will be traveling through. This way your credit card isn't suspended for suspicious activity. I travel with a backup credit cards in case I have an issue with my primary card.

Have a safe trip
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

While we're on this long-distance touring topic, I'll ask a dumb question.

I notice several folks recommend a handlebar-mounted, insulated beverage holder. How do you drink from it if you wear a full-face helmet? Is there a special twisted-straw solution, or do you simply stop and remove the helmet? Or do you wear 3/4 helmets?

I've worn several generations of full-face Arai helmets, and they hug the face rather closely. Not enough room to snake a tube under it. I haven't found a solution that works with a Camelbak (my preferred solution).

Stopping every half-hour to remove the helmet, just to get a swallow or two of water, is IMO a PITA.

As for travel advice, I recommend a few zip-lock baggies of varying sizes. In my experience, you tend to accumulate a bunch of little things during a trip. You'll need to stash them somehow. Some empty bread bags, too; they're useful for such grubby things as a partially-full oil can, or can work as emergency rain gloves, etc.

Spyder Garage

Default Solo trip advice

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    Don't forget to notify your credit card company that you will be traveling out of the area and give them the dates of the states that you will be traveling through. This way your credit card isn't suspended for suspicious activity. I travel with a backup credit cards in case I have an issue with my primary card.

Have a safe trip
    Can make a real mess on any trip! & hydration i prefer to keep mine in frunk or somewhere i will have to stop to access, helps motivate me to stretch my legs more often than normal. & i have found oddities that interest me, i would have otherwise passed & missed quick stop, sip & pic & enough time to walk around, nxt 100+ miles were no problem.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post

I notice several folks recommend a handlebar-mounted, insulated beverage holder. How do you drink from it if you wear a full-face helmet? Is there a special twisted-straw solution, or do you simply stop and remove the helmet? Or do you wear 3/4 helmets?

I've worn several generations of full-face Arai helmets, and they hug the face rather closely. Not enough room to snake a tube under it. I haven't found a solution that works with a Camelbak (my preferred solution).

Stopping every half-hour to remove the helmet, just to get a swallow or two of water, is IMO a PITA.

As for travel advice, I recommend a few zip-lock baggies of varying sizes. In my experience, you tend to accumulate a bunch of little things during a trip. You'll need to stash them somehow. Some empty bread bags, too; they're useful for such grubby things as a partially-full oil can, or can work as emergency rain gloves, etc.
    I bought about 18 inches of tubing like they use to supply an ice maker in your fridge-freezer. It fits tight in the sippy hole of my insulated bottle. Put it on your handlebar & sit on the Spyder to see how long it really needs to be. I have a modular helmet and a 3/4 with a shield. I just open the shield to drink. The trick is to blow back unto the tube to keep it from dripping onto your leg.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd say leave the Rotopax at home you shouldn't need them. With all the preparation you're doing you should have no trouble planning gas stops. Your 14 should get at least 150 miles on a tank so you should only need 1 or 2 stops during the day.

Go go through the stuff you plan on taking them leave 1/2 of that at home. I would be willing to bet that you will overpack.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    Sounds like a great ride.
    Wish I could take the time off work to do the same.
    How about tires? Will you install a new set prior to departure?
    Cheers, David C.
    Thanks David, I had a new one put in rear about 3,000 miles ago and front are looking good.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post

Not a dumb question at all. That is one of the reasons I went with a modular helmet. Real easy to pop the front lid and get a drink with one hand.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I'd say leave the Rotopax at home you shouldn't need them. With all the preparation you're doing you should have no trouble planning gas stops. Your 14 should get at least 150 miles on a tank so you should only need 1 or 2 stops during the day.

Go go through the stuff you plan on taking them leave 1/2 of that at home. I would be willing to bet that you will overpack.
    Too funny, I was hoping you would reply regarding mileage. If anyone had a good idea of mileage with a trailer I thought of you and Joe. Yes, I will most likely overpack, but I will revisit as I just saw a nice golf course along my route in Newfoundland. Who knows, maybe I can fit in my clubs.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Theft Deterrence

Do you have a Kradellock or other locking device for your GPS? It's good peace of mind when answering nature's call.

Personally Gatorade has too much sugar for me unless I'm exercising and sweating hard.

Get an Ilco X270 key blank, have it cut to match your Spyder key, bevel edges like in picture and keep in wallet. Stash your second Spyder key wherever you choose.

Ride safely, have fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Don't forget to have a good time. Might want to consider Wine, Women and song. Don't forget the Cigars!

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm planning a solo trip this summer and have begun putting an itinerary together. I don't mind riding alone so that's not an issue. I have the 622 trailer so I think I'm good on storage. Have a 3.5 gal fuelpax on order so that helps on gas issue. Planning to do hotels on the way up, and friends houses on the way home. I have credit card and small tool bag for repairs.
    Have between 250 and 450 miles for the majority of the day's total miles planned with a few days off in between. GPS is all set with AAA triptik as backup. iPhone has plenty of music along with Sirius to helmet.

My question is this, what am I forgetting, and what advice might some of you have that have done the longer solo trips offer.....

Not planning on smelling the roses, as I have allergies and I really enjoy the ride as much as the destination......
    Where are you heading?
    2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not a dumb question at all. That is one of the reasons I went with a modular helmet. Real easy to pop the front lid and get a drink with one hand.
    It depends on the type of lid you have. I'm uncomfortable using the type you have to tilt because it obstructs my view of the road, especially if I have to tilt my head back to drink.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

plug kit & mini compressor, micro start

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Done forget the refrigerator and kitchen sink.. Have fun on your trip

Spyder Garage

Default Life360

I have an App called Life 360. You can be tracked by your family on computer or phones. It does use data while traveling but not that much. Good program.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default There you go....

With all the above I think you are covered except for taking the trip and sending us the pictures... Have a good one...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some additional thoughts,

If you wear prescription glasses, bring along a second set in case something happens to the first pair.

If you have prescription meds, make sure you have enough for the duration of your trip plus a bit more in case you get delayed. Keep them in their original containers with the prescription on the outside. Border guards in both directions don't like it when they are not.

Since you will be going to Newfoundland and are planning to stay in motels/hotels you might want to do some pre planning of your stops. From our trip to NFLD we found that there are very few motels but a lot of B&B's. They book up very fast and usually way ahead of the tourist season which is when you will be traveling. So don't count on getting accommodations that way. While in NFLD be very alert for moose on the roads. There are something like 150,000 of them on the island and we saw many. Their roads can be a little rough in places but absolutely beautiful scenery and great people. If you have the time, go to Fogo Island. Google it.

I agree with Ann, gas shouldn't be a problem but since you will have so much space, take extra just to feel good.

Enjoy your trip.

Gary

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post

Have a safe trip

I always used to do that, but 2yrs ago when I phoned they said that if I was travelling in USA/Canada I did not need to notify them. That was Visa (Royal Bank of Canada).
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

It looks like you have AAA roadside assist. Check to make sure that you have coverage for a motorcycle and also the trailer, Good Sam roadside assist covers both and unlimited millage which could be a good thing as repair shops are few and far between. Hope its not needed but gives you peace of mind.
    Roger

Spyder Garage

I really try to be positive but... With a solo trip there's no need for a trailer. With the RT's storage you don't need a seat bag either. If you must play golf, rent some clubs. I understand among golf nuts that's an obscene thought but on a tour, less is more.