Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Stupid Question: Ideal RPM to shift gear?

This is the first bike i bought so am not familiar with when to shift on the spyder.. i usually shift at 5000 RPM, whats the ideal rpm to shift gear?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dubaian View Post
    This is the first bike i bought so am not familiar with when to shift on the spyder.. I usually shift at 5000 RPM, whats the ideal rpm to shift gear?
    I think that depends on a lot of things... Going uphill? Downhill? Flatland? Towing? Merging in traffic? Two-up? and is your Spyder done with the break-in period?

We are still breaking ours in, and find that we like 3500rmps-4600rpms for cruising in any gear on flatland.... Shifting @ 5000-6000rpms depending on hills and so on.

Once this baby is broken in I plan to shift for the next up gear around 6500rpms when two-up most of the time, and downshift at the same 3500rpms...

Keep in mind, in my area there are a lot of hills and mountains. So RPMs are needed in what ever we drive here.

BTW.... Just because the tac says it goes to 9k does not mean you should, just the the Speedometer going 200+

Hope that at least lets you know what one person does, not necessarily what you should do at all
    Last edited by IWN2RYD; 06-01-2010 at 07:50 AM.
    BlUe SpYder RT-S SE5 #303I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it ... Proud Member of A.S.S. (Average Senile Spyderryder)

Our 2010 RT-S Mods... *Warning* If you can read this, it is already too late and there is no known cure. You have Spydervirus.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

This is the first bike i bought so am not familiar with when to shift on the spyder.. i usually shift at 5000 RPM, whats the ideal rpm to shift gear?
    First there are no stupid questions here at SpyderLovers, We are all here to help one another.
    When I'm just putting around town i shift at 3 to 4 thousand.
    When i really want to get up and go, I just shift by ear. Been doing it that way for many years.
    My last bike before the Spyder didn't even have a tack.[vtx 1800] After a while you'll find what works best for you.
    That said 5 thousand is a good rpm to shift at too.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

between 4000 and 4500 seems to be the spot, at least for me!
    2014 RT Limited , Black Current (blacked out trim)

Spyder Garage

Not a stupid question at all. As was said, it depends a lot on conditions, needs (more power for passing, for instance), or just your desires. There is only one "rule"...shift at high enough rpm that you will not lug the engine after it goes into the higher gear. As an example, if you find your Spyder does not seem happy below 3,000 rpm on a flat road, and you drop 1,000 rpm per gear shift, you would want to be above 4,000 rpm before you shift. In the hills, where the Spyder was not happy below 4,000, you'd shift up at 5K or more.

In a short while the seat of your pants will tell you when it is time. Then you can stop watching the tach. Don't worry, you'll figure out what is right for you real soon. Enjoy the Ryde!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

thanks for the feedback

Spyder Garage

I generally drive on flat-ish land and on side streets where the max posted is about 55. I normally shift between 4500 and 5000. Closer to 4500 if I'm passing someone or getting up to speed in a hurry, closer to 5000 if I'm just driving. I sometimes do this by ear and sometimes look at the tac depending on traffic conditions.

You'll get a feel for it with some experimentation.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pincushion View Post
    between 4000 and 4500 seems to be the spot, at least for me!
    I never shift under 4,000.

If one of Dem Harley Trikes are behind me I shift at 6,000 PLUS!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If one of Dem Harley Trikes are behind me I shift at 6,000 PLUS! [/QUOTE]

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

4,000 on the way up, 2,800 on the way down on an SE5 still in the break-in period.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

On a flat road if I am not trying to get anywhere fast usually around 4000-4500.
    2009 phantom 424 of 500! Another Happy Spyder owner

Spyder Garage

99% of the time I am upshifting above 5,000 RPMs and downshifting around 3500 on my SE5. Many times I don't shift until over 6,000 and the Spyder really seems to run better in that range for me.

I still have a hard time convincing my father in law that I need to run at higher RPMs, as his Suzuki Boulevard rolls at very low RPM.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

As has already been noted, no dumb questions around here. I'm generally shifting between 5,500 to 6,000 rpms.

Glynnk
    Happy 10 RT-SPE owner!!

Spyder Garage

when the needle hits the red spot
    2009 SE5 Aerocharger turbo, Evoluzione Swaybar, Penske racing shocks, 225/45 r15 hankook ventus r-s3 tires all the way around

Spyder Garage

If any Harley is around about 7500 and they never see the next shift. so It really doesnt matter. If wife is around, about 4500.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by altonk View Post
    when the needle hits the red spot
    I like that shifting point as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sandrunr1 View Post
    If wife is around, about 4500.
    Yet another good reason why my wife has her own Spyder.
    Very Happy Spyder Ryder!

Click here to see My Spyder Mods

Spyder Garage

Good thing I found this because I shift at like 7000 rpm so I night be shifting to high thank people for this info

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hennyking View Post
    Good thing I found this because I shift at like 7000 rpm so I night be shifting to high thank people for this info

You seem to have found a thread that goes back to 2010. In "those days" we only had the 998 twin. Most people find that 5000 - 5500 is a good shifting and cruising range. The 2014 and up 1330 three cylinders like to be shifted between 3000 -3500. You can fine tune from this information as to what feel best for your particular machine.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The shift point depends on which engine you have, they are vastly different engines and have different optimal shift points.
    1st thing to do is read the thread "Dos and Don'ts for new Spyder owners", there is a section there about when to shift. The V-twin produces the majority of its torque and horsepower
    at higher RPM than the 3 cylinder engine. I found that to be very helpful. I have a 2013 STS which is a V-twin and I have followed the guidelines in that thread.
    The only exception is when I want my hair or what's left of it to stand on end and run through a set of red line shifts! Now that is awesome!!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    You seem to have found a thread that goes back to 2010. In "those days" we only had the 998 twin. Most people find that 5000 - 5500 is a good shifting and cruising range. The 2014 and up 1330 three cylinders like to be shifted between 3000 -3500. You can fine tune from this information as to what feel best for your particular machine.
    Yes I'm start shifting a lot sooner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We've got no information in here, about which Spyder you have...
    A lot of folks will either list it in their profile, or add it to their signature line. (the one that comes up underneath each post...) It helps to sort out what information might be most useful.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Shift points

Helpful discussion, guys. As noted above, when I had an RT SE6, I generally upshifted around 3500/4000 unless under load and/or passing in which cases I would let it rev up higher. With my present 2015 RS-S v-twin SE5, the sweet spot to upshift is above 5000/5500. In that rpm range on the SE5 there is seldom the delay in engagement that can occur when upshifting at lower rpms.

Spyder Garage

I don't normally go by RPM. I go by the speed and if you do that you'll always be in the best RPM range.

I shift into 2nd at 30, 3rd at 40, 4th at 50 and 5th at 60+. Seems to shift the best and keeps me in power band the whole time.
    2010 RT Audio and Convience SE5, wider vented windshield, XM radio, digital voltmeter, K&N filter, LED turn signal strips, ISCI floorboards, Lamonster LED Headlights and Fogs, Two Bros Black series

Spyder Garage

I have a 2018 F3T SE6 what is the best RPM to shift up?

Spyder Garage

I have a 2016 F3L SE6, the tach does not have a red zone for maximum RPM, anyone know what the max redline for this trike is.
    2016 F3 Spyder Limited SE6
    2005 Honda ST1300 ABS