Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Need advice on DPS please.

After having my Spyder for 3 months and 2200 miles I have now found out that my DPS is not working right, well I am not sure. This is the problem I believe, at a stand still there seem to be no DPS well most of the time sometime while at a stand still the handle bars is very hard to move turn and then again sometime it moves very easily and a few time it will give a very light jerk when I try to turn it. I never notices this until I went to a new dealer today to look into them being my services dealer and I left the key in the bike and the services manger had to move my Spyder and came back and told me you have a DPS problem. He said that we should change the gear position switch which controls the DPS as well, I knew the handle bars were hard to move sometime and not but never thought it was a problem and kind of got used to it but after now seeing that sometime the handle does move so smooth I now wonder if I should get this done. My concern is that I have seen many who has changes the GPS and have experience more problems with gear getting stuck and have been back to dealer more time before it is fixed that I am afraid to let them change it. Should I be concern that this might cause more problems and or really brake and even worst go crazy while riding down the highway or just live with it.

Spyder Garage

It should be covered under warranty - get it changed. There is also a steering recall on the Spyders that will happen very soon - a software update to fix the steering 'binding' when you first apply pressure to it.

A few things to note about the power steering:

It only works when the engine is running.
    You can feel a difference between it being on and off while at a stand still - but the difference may be pretty slight.
    The surface you are on when turning makes a huge difference. If I sit still and try to tun in my parking lot it is pretty hard to turn - but if I'm in my garage which has a nice smooth floor - it's really easy to turn.
    Tire pressure will affect this too.
    The Spyder really isn't meant to steer while sitting still - I believe the manual even says not to steer back and forth a lot while sitting still.

Most people that have had the GPS replaced have only had improvements.

Spyder Garage

My PS never did work from the crate. Got the usual GPS replaement with no luck. They replaced the steering sensor, still no go. Finally got a new steering unit and that did it.

I also get a glitch or jerk sometimes when I first start up and turn the handlebars. It's like the system is trying to center or align itself. Maybe I should get it looked at. I just hate to be without my Spyder. On the other hand, steering is important!

I am careful not to turn when sitting still. That is never good on any PS unit. But sometimes, just touching the bars on startup after sitting will give me this small glitchy jerk. Hard to describe.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I know the exact 'jerk' or 'binding' feeling you are talking about. I believe the new software addresses this issue. From what I have read the software deals with the system giving resistance when you first apply pressure to turn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I know the exact 'jerk' or 'binding' feeling you are talking about. I believe the new software addresses this issue. From what I have read the software deals with the system giving resistance when you first apply pressure to turn.
    Yes, it is almost like a bind and release feeling. Maybe 1/4" go 1/2" of quick motion in the bars is all. It only does it once at the beginning and not every time.

I don't remember it doing that when I first got it back from the dealer on the PS fix. I guess Ill need to get it in and see what they say.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WOW I knew I would get some answers here, this forum is awesome. Based on all the answers so far it seem that my DPS is working fine, I think I will not let them change the GPS and wait to see if my vin falls under the recall I just hate to have them do anything and it turns out to be worst as I have seen

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by burg650 View Post
    WOW I knew I would get some answers here, this forum is awesome. Based on all the answers so far it seem that my DPS is working fine, I think I will not let them change the GPS and wait to see if my vin falls under the recall I just hate to have them do anything and it turns out to be worst as I have seen
    Not changing the GPS if it is bad could be dangerous. My steering was getting progressively worse - really tight binding in corners where I had over-shot a few turns into the other lane!

After they replaced the GPS my problems went away.

I would strongly recommend you get it replaced. The official software update/recall could be weeks away - and may fix an entirely different steering issue than the GPS replacement does.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Not changing the GPS if it is bad could be dangerous. My steering was getting progressively worse - really tight binding in corners where I had over-shot a few turns into the other lane!

After they replaced the GPS my problems went away.

I would strongly recommend you get it replaced. The official software update/recall could be weeks away - and may fix an entirely different steering issue than the GPS replacement does.

Did you notice in another thread that Igor had a software update. He mentioned his GPS and software update. It's in the thread where someone's spyder 'stopped while riding.'

Spyder Garage

Mine too never had any PS from day one.

New Units GPS and software updayt cured mine.

I'm still going to have the recalll updat done though, as mine was fixed in Nov. and I want to be sure it is the newest update to the software.

>>

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I would recommend you do let them change out the sensor as it causes other problems – my dealer is waiting for the recall to be able to change mine but it caused my Spyder to suddenly go into limp mode while doing 65mph on the highway. It’s not too big of a deal as you just have to pull over and switch off for a couple of minutes to let the sensor fully discharge itself and then you can fire it up again. It has only happened to me once but it was a little unnerving.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well yesterday I had my GPS changed and software update as well, there is a difference now the steering does feel like the DPS is working better and the bike seem to change much smoother, I should point out that I was never having a any gear problem just lack of steering. They also did the coil ground wire but they did not do it right and thanks to Scotty who has been helping with advice is going to show me the right way. Another good thing about getting my GPS changed is that I was having major vibration across the broad at many different speeds that I believe was a problem with belt tension so of course I got a free belt adjustment as well and so far all seem to be just hunky doory.

I will say that this new dealer I went to again thanks to many on this great forum made me feel confident on letting them work on my Spyder, I was in and out in two and half hours well I waited an hour first for them to start as they were just finishing up another GPS on a 08, did not feel like I was begging them something and told to leave it and come back in days or we will call you when we get good and ready that's the experience I had to deal with at Motorcycle Mall. Going to Ledgewood Power Sports was well worth the little over an hour and 48 miles to get there as I waited for them to do my service I even had them do a oil change as it was 230 miles left to 3000 and felt hell let them do it and save me the time even I was all ready to switch to the RP max oil.

They liked the Lamonster crank case breather mod and gave it a BIG THUMB'S UP, all in all I am very happy with Ledgewood and would recommend them, a buddy of mine who went for the ride as well to meet them and talk about his problems with breaks and no emergence brake as well as vibrations will be going in two weeks to have them do this 6000 miles service and fix the other problems as well.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well yesterday I had my GPS changed and software update as well, there is a difference now the steering does feel like the DPS is working better and the bike seem to change much smoother, I should point out that I was never having a any gear problem just lack of steering. They also did the coil ground wire but they did not do it right and thanks to Scotty who has been helping with advice is going to show me the right way. Another good thing about getting my GPS changed is that I was having major vibration across the broad at many different speeds that I believe was a problem with belt tension so of course I got a free belt adjustment as well and so far all seem to be just hunky doory.

I will say that this new dealer I went to again thanks to many on this great forum made me feel confident on letting them work on my Spyder, I was in and out in two and half hours well I waited an hour first for them to start as they were just finishing up another GPS on a 08, did not feel like I was begging them something and told to leave it and come back in days or we will call you when we get good and ready that's the experience I had to deal with at Motorcycle Mall. Going to Ledgewood Power Sports was well worth the little over an hour and 48 miles to get there as I waited for them to do my service I even had them do a oil change as it was 230 miles left to 3000 and felt hell let them do it and save me the time even I was all ready to switch to the RP max oil.

They liked the Lamonster crank case breather mod and gave it a BIG THUMB'S UP, all in all I am very happy with Ledgewood and would recommend them, a buddy of mine who went for the ride as well to meet them and talk about his problems with breaks and no emergence brake as well as vibrations will be going in two weeks to have them do this 6000 miles service and fix the other problems as well.
    I too have had to deal with Motorcylce Mall and they are also my dealer and I have to agree with you, they are the worst people to deal with ever. They don't care about their customers and I even had a BRP rep bad mouth them on what shotty work they do. I'm glad Ledgewood was better as I rather make a farther trip to get the job done and get it done right. I will never go back to Motorcyle Mall ever!!!