Spyder Garage

Question Young Riders? (Introduction)

Hello SpyderLovers community,
    I am currently in the market for my first Spyder machine, have been lurking around the forum and had a few questions / in general want to chit chat with some of you Spyder experts!
    First off a little about me, Need a second vehicle to commute to work ect. while main vehicle is in several stages of disassembly/insulation/modification. So rather then get some boring Junker that dread rolling around town in I am looking into Spyder. I’ve never ridden motorcycles (other than test drives) but am attracted to the “open air” feel of riding, My safety concerns steer me towards a Spyder because, a. I won’t be tempted to do any lane-splitting b. it’s a much larger more visible vehicle

Now to a few of my questions, I’m 25 from my browsing around the forum (not to offend any of the gentleman and ladies here) it seems like Spyders attracted a more mature audience. Are there any Young Riders? Why is this? Is my sensory overload twenty-first century childhood going to leave me wanting more on a Spyder?
    Secondly, I live in Los Angeles city of stop an go traffic. I have NEVER seen a Spyder on my hour plus commute or anywhere at all; I realize it’s a niche market and that it’s really a touring bike but is there another reason for the lack of city riders? Will I be shooting myself in the foot every time traffic slows to a crawl (every day)? From my reading there are plenty of modifications that can be done to allow Spyders to handle just about any temperature/traffic situation without getting too hot.

Tough talk – Budget, I am on a pretty tight budget for my purchase but am in no rush. Any input/experience/comment would be greatly appreciated.

Option One: 2008 – RS - SM5 , 1,905 miles. Listed for $7,100 and I could probably talk him down into my budget range (I’m sure it been sitting on his lot forever)
    01515_fCxindKgS9W_600x450.jpg

Option Two: Salvage revival – Purchase a salvage title machine like this 2014 or similar and do a rat rod type fix in my garage (not to %100 just enough to run and drive highway legal, missing body panels ect.)
    6d500901-2da8-4ca7-bcd7-dd611a108092.JPG
    Damage to this example – {This 2014 Can-AM Spyder RSI miles are unknown and run and drive status was not able to be verified due to no key. The damage includes but is not limited to: dead battery, scratched rear header/shield, weathered and scraped right side muffler, scratched left front turn signal, scratched right front turn signal, worn driver's seat, broken passenger's grab bar, broken handlebars, broken and weathered left side hand controls, scratched left side mirror, weathered right side hand controls, broken right side mirror, broken speedometer, bent, scraped, and scratched front fender, broken and scratch front fairing, scratched left side fairing/cover, scratched rear fender, broken inner fairing, scratched right side fairing/cover, scratched rear cowling, scratched and scraped front rim, and worn front and rear tire.}

Spyder Garage

I am by far not a Spyder Expert or a Young Rider depending on your definition but thought I'd chime in as your post caught my attention.

I'm 37 and my wife is 36. I am a very spirited (agressive) motorcycle rider. My ride is a 2012 Victory Ness Vision.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/qfrz28dfa...wXCu6X6xaA118a

We bought my wife a 2009 Spyder GS (same as the RS) SE5.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/uft4ddg8w...qcWLs9EWwNJ7va

The Stability Control is amazing. I can get a front wheel off the ground when I try on purpose but the moment it leaves the ground the Nanny shuts the RPMs down immediately to drop the wheel. I can spin the rear tire but the moment it moves side to side the Nanny again steps in and shuts down the RPMs. As fun as my 2 wheels are (and frankly I in no way intend to give up two wheels until I have to) - I love taking the Spyder out. It's a different thrill ride for me. I have a blast every time.

That said - the '09 (and early models like it) suffer from some serious heat issues. Some have found ways to make it better - we've had very little success with those ways. We live in Indiana so Spring and Fall riding are awesome. Summer riding - especially in stop and go traffic - roasts the wife when she's riding. I tolerate it better - but man does it get hot. That said, you mileage may very but I'd be nervous on an old Spyder in a California climate in stop and go traffic - not that it will fail me - but that I will roast on it. Can't speak to the newer ones.

Didn't look like you were looking for an RT - which I would agree with given what you said. I think the RS, ST, or F3 are all good town bikes that are also capable of cruising the highways and ticking off the miles when you want to. The RT, if you wan the big tour look is amazing - but if you are mostly a townie may be overkill. I don't picture youngins' spinning around on an RT just to hop from place the place.

So - that's my 37yo 2 cents worth - take it for what it's worth - not much at all. ;-)
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While I can't offer you any advice about being young, and on a Spyder: I can tell you that you're showing a mature approach to the topic of ownership!
    The RS (or GS), was Can Am's first offering to the market. The seating is definitely on the sporty side...
    They're pretty darn reliable, and is a pretty nice place to start your quest.
    Caveats:
    Look out for bikes that have been Backyard-Tinkered to death!
    If it's got a pipe, no airbox, and some sort of fuel management system on it: you might be buying someone else's headache...
    Happy Shopping!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    That said - the '09 (and early models like it) suffer from some serious heat issues. Some have found ways to make it better - we've had very little success with those ways. We live in Indiana so Spring and Fall riding are awesome. Summer riding - especially in stop and go traffic - roasts the wife when she's riding. I tolerate it better - but man does it get hot. That said, you mileage may very but I'd be nervous on an old Spyder in a California climate in stop and go traffic - not that it will fail me - but that I will roast on it. Can't speak to the newer ones.
    Thanks for the great input y'all! I'm interested to see how many think i will have heat issues with the 08 model?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VIP View Post
    Thanks for the great input y'all! I'm interested to see how many think i will have heat issues with the 08 model?
    The 2008 GS version was the I cut my teeth on. Very good machine, no particular issues. The price you posted is right in the ballpark for a good deal. If they will let you test drive, I would say go for it. See if you like it and go from there.

and let us know what happens.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hi,
    I have had my 2008 for 6 years, look at Spyderpops, site sponsor to purchase the accessories that will resolve any heat issues the bike has. Inexpensive and easy to install. Don't forget to get the missing air damn.
    Good luck. My 2008 has been extremely reliable.

Spyder Garage

Water Wetter in with the antifreeze will drop the temp one bar. I have always used it. Spyderpops will keep heat off your right foot, that's a must have. You can also wrap the pipes.

Spyder Garage

Almost forgot, you should change out the plastic radiator fill tank with the upgraded model, the original one cracks. Make sure they sell you the new part #, upgraded model.

Spyder Garage

Crash Damaged
    I suspect the crash damaged one could become very expensive to fix up. even if you didn't sort the bodywork etc.

Spyders handling is a very sensitive beast, even a slight difference in tire pressures at the front can be felt through the bars so anything damaged with front running gear is likely to need replacing. In addition the electronics are complex and likely to be affected with that one looking where the damage is.

08 GS Model
    Firstly I think that will be a GS rather than an RS because of it's year, however the GS and RS are basically the same. The GS/RS from 2008 to 2012 were pretty much the same machine with just a gentle evolution over that time. They seem to be a very reliable machine and there's a lot of long term owners on this site.

As mentioned there is the well known 'hot right foot' issue but as already mentioned the fixes for that are well known and cheap (Honda exhaust gaskets and SpyderPops heat guards). That Spyder looks like it's been modified a bit so it's quite possible those mod's have already been done.

Looking at that photo that one has been changed a bit. The original mirrors/indicators have been removed and replaced with bar end mirrors - which may mean there are no indicators on the front. I don't think the wheels were ever red as stock so they have been repainted. the badge at the front looks like it's been replaced and it looks like its been repainted (hard to tell with the photo but something about the light on the paint) - also the stickers are missing which would support a re-spray.

That amount of modd'ing makes me very suspicious about the low mileage. Why would you repaint things on such a low mileage machine? This one doesn't feel right.

Just to mention there was a bug with the 08's computer where it would reset the milometer around 63,000 km (can't remember exactly when). A fix was issued for that but if it hadn't been applied...
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 09-22-2016 at 05:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Crash Damaged

Spyders handling is a very sensitive beast

08 GS Model
    Looking at that photo that one has been changed a bit. The original mirrors/indicators have been removed and replaced with bar end mirrors - which may mean there are no indicators on the front. I don't think the wheels were ever red as stock so they have been repainted. the badge at the front looks like it's been replaced and it looks like its been repainted (hard to tell with the photo but something about the light on the paint) - also the stickers are missing which would support a re-spray.

That amount of modd'ing makes me very suspicious about the low mileage. Why would you repaint things on such a low mileage machine? This one doesn't feel right.

Just to mention there was a bug with the 08's computer where it would reset the milometer around 63,000 km (can't remember exactly when). A fix was issued for that but if it hadn't been applied...
    All Very Helpful info! thank you

Here are more pictures of the 08
    http://www.luxuryridemotors.com/2008....ULg1sO8N.dpuf

It does appear to be Non-factory color, but all that pinstripe?
    The low mileage was also suspicious to me but.. seems like Spyders have a tendency of gathering dust in the garage. (I'm thinking it was purchased by some well off individual for a spoiled child that lost interest?) grasping at straws.

I'm going to go take a look at the bike tomorrow probably, anything specific i should look for?

Spyder Garage

Ever check the average age of a HARLEY rider?
    Think you'll find it's close to the same!

WHY?

Simple $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Most youngsters cant afford the price tag.

AJ

Hello SpyderLovers community,
    I am currently in the market for my first Spyder machine, have been lurking around the forum and had a few questions / in general want to chit chat with some of you Spyder experts!
    First off a little about me, Need a second vehicle to commute to work ect. while main vehicle is in several stages of disassembly/insulation/modification. So rather then get some boring Junker that dread rolling around town in I am looking into Spyder. I’ve never ridden motorcycles (other than test drives) but am attracted to the “open air” feel of riding, My safety concerns steer me towards a Spyder because, a. I won’t be tempted to do any lane-splitting b. it’s a much larger more visible vehicle

Now to a few of my questions, I’m 25 from my browsing around the forum (not to offend any of the gentleman and ladies here) it seems like Spyders attracted a more mature audience. Are there any Young Riders? Why is this? Is my sensory overload twenty-first century childhood going to leave me wanting more on a Spyder?
    Secondly, I live in Los Angeles city of stop an go traffic. I have NEVER seen a Spyder on my hour plus commute or anywhere at all; I realize it’s a niche market and that it’s really a touring bike but is there another reason for the lack of city riders? Will I be shooting myself in the foot every time traffic slows to a crawl (every day)? From my reading there are plenty of modifications that can be done to allow Spyders to handle just about any temperature/traffic situation without getting too hot.

Tough talk – Budget, I am on a pretty tight budget for my purchase but am in no rush. Any input/experience/comment would be greatly appreciated.

Option One: 2008 – RS - SM5 , 1,905 miles. Listed for $7,100 and I could probably talk him down into my budget range (I’m sure it been sitting on his lot forever)
    01515_fCxindKgS9W_600x450.jpg

Option Two: Salvage revival – Purchase a salvage title machine like this 2014 or similar and do a rat rod type fix in my garage (not to %100 just enough to run and drive highway legal, missing body panels ect.)
    6d500901-2da8-4ca7-bcd7-dd611a108092.JPG
    Damage to this example – {This 2014 Can-AM Spyder RSI miles are unknown and run and drive status was not able to be verified due to no key. The damage includes but is not limited to: dead battery, scratched rear header/shield, weathered and scraped right side muffler, scratched left front turn signal, scratched right front turn signal, worn driver's seat, broken passenger's grab bar, broken handlebars, broken and weathered left side hand controls, scratched left side mirror, weathered right side hand controls, broken right side mirror, broken speedometer, bent, scraped, and scratched front fender, broken and scratch front fairing, scratched left side fairing/cover, scratched rear fender, broken inner fairing, scratched right side fairing/cover, scratched rear cowling, scratched and scraped front rim, and worn front and rear tire.}

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

This is just my opinion but I wouldn't buy any machine that has a salvage title, the potential for problems is too great and you'll never be able to get your money out of your investment when it comes time to trade it in or sell it in a private sale. If you truly are not in a hurry to buy then I say take your time to search around for a solid machine that doesn't have a significant history of damage or repairs... they are out there!!!

Have you tried searching the "4 Sale by Owner and WTB" forum on this website to see if a SpyderLovers member is selling a machine that fits your interest, style, price range, etc. If not, try looking there. Here is any example of what you can find from other SpyderLovers... Saskwatch posted this advertisement the other day... "2009 GS SE5 - around 11k miles on this one, NADA book at $9400, I'd take $8500. This is a sporty bike with semi-auto shifting (no clutch, thumb-shift) with aftermarket exhaust that sounds nice. Has interchangeable sport/touring windshield and passenger backrest. Pictured in grey/black." The post is titled "Two Spyders for Sale - 09 GS SE5 and '11 RT SMS" look at the post to see a pic of the machine

... before you ask if I am trying to endorse this machine over others let me say that the answer is "No, I have never seen this machine nor have I ever met Saskwatch. I am simply sharing the post to show that you may be able to get a quality machine outside of your immediate location."

Good luck in your quest
    Last edited by 3 Wheel Rider; 09-22-2016 at 07:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

All Very Helpful info! thank you

Here are more pictures of the 08
    http://www.luxuryridemotors.com/2008....ULg1sO8N.dpuf

It does appear to be Non-factory color, but all that pinstripe?
    The low mileage was also suspicious to me but.. seems like Spyders have a tendency of gathering dust in the garage. (I'm thinking it was purchased by some well off individual for a spoiled child that lost interest?) grasping at straws.

I'm going to go take a look at the bike tomorrow probably, anything specific i should look for?
    Had a look through those photo's and these are my thoughts:
    • Missing light on front left mudguard
    • Definitely looks like no indicators at the front
    • Belt guard missing
    • Rear fender missing - the struts used to break so they were often removed/replaced but not normally at that sort of mileage (mine went around 10,000 miles)
    • Number plate position is definitely not legal
    • Things like the foot pedal mounts have been painted black and since then its been ridden enough to wear the paint off again in a couple of places. (I was also trying to see how much wear on the gear lever/footpegs but pictures not good enough.
    • I've also done a VIN check and none of the Safety Recalls have been applied:
    • http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/owners/...JAWA1X8V002763
    • Which will mean the speedo fix and other computer fixes will not have been done either

My suggestion is that you may want to look elsewhere. I know what it's like when you want something but this just has too many red flags for me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Ever check the average age of a HARLEY rider?
    Think you'll find it's close to the same!

WHY?

Simple $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Most youngsters cant afford the price tag.

AJ
    This reflects my situation pretty well also

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Rider View Post
    This is just my opinion but I wouldn't buy any machine that has a salvage title, the potential for problems is too great and you'll never be able to get your money out of your investment when it comes time to trade it in or sell it in a private sale. If you truly are not in a hurry to buy then I say take your time to search around for a solid machine that doesn't have a significant history of damage or repairs... they are out there!!!

Have you tried searching the "4 Sale by Owner and WTB" forum on this website to see if a SpyderLovers member is selling a machine that fits your interest, style, price range, etc. If not, try looking there. Here is any example of what you can find from other SpyderLovers... Saskwatch posted this advertisement the other day... "2009 GS SE5 - around 11k miles on this one, NADA book at $9400, I'd take $8500. This is a sporty bike with semi-auto shifting (no clutch, thumb-shift) with aftermarket exhaust that sounds nice. Has interchangeable sport/touring windshield and passenger backrest. Pictured in grey/black." The post is titled "Two Spyders for Sale - 09 GS SE5 and '11 RT SMS" look at the post to see a pic of the machine

... before you ask if I am trying to endorse this machine over others let me say that the answer is "No, I have never seen this machine nor have I ever met Saskwatch. I am simply sharing the post to show that you may be able to get a quality machine outside of your immediate location."

Good luck in your quest
    Hey thanks for the response, other then the resale is there anything that steers you away from this option? Could you give some examples of the potential problems i might face and there estimated price-tag? (or if anyone can chime in on potential disaster) Also is there a type of damage that might be the easiest to repair? Idk possibly rear end damage is an easy swing arm replace vs the front end damage? I've been watching a few of these salvages sell and looking at parts trying to put together rough estimates, if the pieces fall together i cannot see the bike costing more then 5k - all the labor ill be doing myself. i willing to wait for the right salvage.
    I don't plan to sell/trade in the machine after putting that much work into it. ride it tell it dies

Ill keep combing the 4 sale thread but i wouldn't want to insult anyone with a low-ball offer, i really cant swing more then 7k tip top

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

older demographic because spyders are expensive. generally even used.
    because of older demographic, super clean, low mile, examples are available just about everywhere.
    Where you are "learning to ryde" you need nerves of steel, I rode so cal for 25 years, and a MSF course needs
    to be on your "have to" list, and don't expect to be quick out of the box. Better Safe, trust me.

Spyder Garage

Default Good points

Lots of good points here in this thread to answer your question ... Price of these machines definitely scare off younger buyers when you can buy big sport bikes for less , but they don't have as much added safety technology as the Spyder . Many bike people ( men mostly) like to refer to the Spyder as having " training wheels " and have a hard time getting past their ego to see the great things this machine has to offer for any rider . As far as the heat ... When it's very hot out , you feel the heat as I have with most bikes I've ever owned or drove . Good deals ??? ... The old adage " if it seems too good to be true , it likely is " holds true here , if you don't have lots of knowledge and skill to fix up something get one in decent shape with lots of documentation, from a reputable dealer if possible . The long term owners and tech savvy people on here have seen many scenarios so are a good place to keep in touch with on your quest

Spyder Garage

Default 2009 Spyder SM5, 34000 Mi

Hey yall, shopping around found this nugget on Craigslist.

http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/mcy/5802535809.html
    Would love the opinion of anyone who cares to chime in, Any obvious red flags i'm missing? Other then the price tag..
    Looks like a really clean bike, not sure why anyone would start there negotiations so low.
    Anything specific questions i should ask or things should look for if i go to see it in person?

Spyder Garage

37 here and my .02 is to keep away from the manual clutch. The semi auto would be MUCH more comfortable in LA stop and go traffic.

Spyder Garage

Good to see another young rider! I'm also 25 but from the opposite side of the country here in Pennsylvania.

They're lots of fun! You won't regret it!

Spyder.jpg

Spyder Garage

Hey yall, shopping around found this nugget on Craigslist.

http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/mcy/5802535809.html
    Would love the opinion of anyone who cares to chime in, Any obvious red flags i'm missing? Other then the price tag..
    Looks like a really clean bike, not sure why anyone would start there negotiations so low.
    Anything specific questions i should ask or things should look for if i go to see it in person?
    Now that's a bit more like it.

That machine has had a lot of touring/comfort mod's done on it and in the process quite a bit of money spent as they have been done properly. The mod's look to include adjustable touring screen, risers on the bars, comfort grips, rider floorboards, lower pillion pegs, rear rack and pillion backrest, aftermarket exhaust and a different seat (I'm guessing an early comfort model?). All very popular mod's to RS's particularly before the RT/ST came along.

The condition of the machine looks excellent. Certainly better than mine:-)

Yes well worth a look.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Now that's a bit more like it.

That machine has had a lot of touring/comfort mod's done on it and in the process quite a bit of money spent as they have been done properly. The mod's look to include adjustable touring screen, risers on the bars, comfort grips, rider floorboards, lower pillion pegs, rear rack and pillion backrest, aftermarket exhaust and a different seat (I'm guessing an early comfort model?). All very popular mod's to RS's particularly before the RT/ST came along.

The condition of the machine looks excellent. Certainly better than mine:-)

Yes well worth a look.
    Thanks for the comments!
    This bike unfortunately sold before i could even ask for more info on it. figures, it was priced to sell.
    I couldn't have pulled the trigger on it so quickly anyway, someone snagged a nice looking Spyder today.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My son is 19 and has ridden bikes and loves the Spyder. He rides my f3s while I ride the f3t and loves every single moment.