Spyder Garage

Question Intermittent ACS error when Spyder is hot

Lately I've been hearing the ACS compressor running way more than it should, and I get the "MANUAL" error when I try to change the setting. However, this only happens after I've gone down the road a ways and everything is hot. The system functions perfectly when I first start the bike.

I haven't taken a good look yet, but here are my candidates:

1. Air leak
    2. Sensor goes open when it's hot and expands
    3. Compressor is all show and no go - runs but doesn't pump when it gets hot.

Naturally, I have to get the weird problems. Sheesh. Any ideas?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy6Guns View Post
    Lately I've been hearing the ACS compressor running way more than it should, and I get the "MANUAL" error when I try to change the setting. However, this only happens after I've gone down the road a ways and everything is hot. The system functions perfectly when I first start the bike.

1. Air leak

There a several fittings in this system that can leak, as well as - but not always - the bag itself. The fittings are the most common source of the leak. Open your seat, there is a Schrader valve towards the rear on the right (as you sit on the Spyder). Remove the cap & check that the rubber seal is in the cap, and that the inner part which depresses when you put an air chuck on it is tight (there is a special tool for this, cheap at any auto parts store. Next, manually add 70 psi of air, which will fill the bag. You should see the rear of the Spyder rise. Put the cap back on tightly, wait 2 hours and check the pressure. If it drops, you have a leak somewhere. If the compressor runs too much, it will burn out. I think you may need a trip to your dealer. Good luck.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy6Guns View Post

1. Air leak

Guessing but this is my best shot.
    There is a check valve (one way valve) that can get stuck.
    Mine was leaking very slowly to 10 PSI if parked for 3 days. I was going to tear into it and find out what was going on but it cleared up on it's own.
    There is no filter or anything on the pump keeping dirt out of the system. I think the check valve can get dirt in it and stick.
    For you, heat maybe causing it to stick and leak possibly due to dirt in it.

Just a thought.

The only other thing that would cause it and cause the MANUAL mode is the position sensor on the sway bar. Make sure that is hooked up. People have had the bolt fall out and it was disconnected.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default What he said...

that bar drops down to the swing arm and connects to it. Many have not been hooked up after work is done and some even on set up....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Nope, the sensor arm is connected properly. I snugged down the core of the Schrader valve; it was only about 1/8th of a turn, though. The pressure was at zero after one day, so there's a leak somewhere.
    I have the shop manual, so this weekend I'll see if I can find the culprit. It's under warranty, but if I can find and fix the leak myself, I will. If its the sensor, then a dealer or someone with BUDS has to reset the system. I just don't feel like handing it over for an extended period of time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep you have a leak if it goes down in a day. Fix it as soon as possible or you will burn out the pump.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Looks like I've got a lot of work ahead.

Didn't want to cross-post, so please read http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...43#post1177843

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ACS problems.

I have same problem with our 2014 RT Limited. Will try some of the items listed above. If you find problem please forward. Same here.

Thanks, Bamm Bamm

Spyder Garage

Default Had same issue

According to Tech the compressor was the culprit. Just waiting to make installation appointment for new compressor which has been ordered and received by dealer. Best warranty will cover most of the cost.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ACS problems.

Let me know if this cures your problem.

Thanks, Bamm Bamm