Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Considering buying

I know you are probably all sick and tired of a post like this..but..I don't care.

Looking at a 2008 Spyder SM5 with about 7000 miles.
    Appears to be in very nice condition with after market windshield and back rest (important for the wife)

checked the serial number and all recalls etc have been done.
    It is on the 3rd owner, no detailed maintenance history.
    Current owner has only had it a year and I do not think he really knows much about the Spyder.

I have read the Do's and Don't's
    1. Does the SM5 have the issue with shifting ? (I don't believe it should)
    2. Owner is going to have the battery checked as he says it does not seem to keep a charge. I have read about this and it could be something very simple. At least he was honest enough to tell me !
    3. He is also having the brake pads checked as he is getting some kind of warning light or something...comments welcome on this.
    4. I noticed the belt was slightly offset on the rear sprocket..is this normal ?
    5. Tires still look good,but what does a tire cost for these ?

Anyway, I have been riding motorcycles for about 45 years, I know bikes, I do not know Spyders. I have been on a few test rides and my reason for buying is comfort and security for my wife for two up riding. I like lightweight motorcycles and I would rather two up on a Spyder than herd some 850 lb touring behemoth around.

I really like the Spyder but am somewhat apprehensive about the possible maintenance costs and the complexity of the machine.

So...are the 08's a reasonably good bike?
    Is 7000 miles considered low for these ?
    Are my fears about maintenance and complexity unfounded ?

Thanks in advance for your advice and patience...I am impervious to flames.
    Last edited by manybikes; 09-01-2016 at 11:01 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by manybikes View Post
    I know you are probably all sick and tired of a post like this..but..I don't care.

Appears to be in very nice condition with after market windshield and back rest (important for the wife)

Current owner has only had it a year and I do not think he really knows much about the Spyder.

2. Owner is going to have the battery checked as he says it does not seem to keep a charge. I have read about this and it could be something very simple. At least he was honest enough to tell me !
    3. He is also having the brake pads checked as he is getting some kind of warning light or something...comments welcome on this.
    4. I noticed the belt was slightly offset on the rear sprocket..is this normal ?

Anyway, I have been riding motorcycles for about 45 years, I know bikes, I do not know Spyders. I have been on a few test rides and my reason for buying is comfort and security for my wife for two up riding. I like lightweight motorcycles and I would rather two up on a Spyder than herd some 850 lb touring behemoth around.

I really like the Spyder but am somewhat apprehensive about the possible maintenance costs and the complexity of the machine.

Maintenance wise always nice to have a history but not the end of the world because that's pretty low mileage and you know it must have been in at least once as otherwise the recalls wouldn't have been done. I'm surprised when you checked the serial number they couldn't give the service history but perhaps that's not permitted, after all it would contain owner info which would be confidential.

So to answer your questions:
    1. Not that I've heard of - it's a simple setup that's just like a motorbike gearbox and seems to be very reliable. Probably your better off with an SM than an SE just because it's simpler. The only issue I once had was a little difficulty getting into neutral, however that turned out to be because the clutch fluid was dirty and needed replacing so not the gearbox after all.
    2. Spyder needs a good condition battery and as soon as it starts to deteriorate it's had it. The battery terminals also have a habit of coming loose. So that's a good place to start on that. If not as you mentioned plenty of info on this site on what to check. Haven't heard of any major issues with the charging circuit.
    3. The brake warning light is quite common. The Spyders are very fussy about brake fluid so if it goes slightly under (i.e. by a teaspoon) it gets upset, so that's normally the first thing to check. Also if you do start getting the warning light, even once you've fixed the problem (e.g. topped up the brake fluid), then there's a reset process you have to go through - I can give you details if you end up needing them. Another known cause is people lightly pressing the brake around corners or for lengths of time by hovering their foot over the lever - or forgetting to take the parking brake off isn't unknown:-).
    4. The exact alignment of the belt varies but normally off centre and closer to the inside side (wheel side) - I think the manual says a gap of between 1mm-5mm from the inside.
    5. Tires, tires, tires:-). You can fit the stock ones which are Kenda, they normally work fine on the front. But some of us find they wear very quickly on the back and also lack grip. I suggest looking at the tire threads under the GS/RS section of this site as the RT riders have slightly different requirements. My personal favourite on the back are Toyo Proxies T1R but those seem to be no longer available so this time I've got a Toyo Proxie 4. Don't last much longer than the Kenda's but have lots more grip. If you get the wheels off a normal tire place can do the change for you. Dealers can get funny about fitting any tire other than Kenda's.

The Spyders do take a bit of getting used to and you will find yourself slipping into motorcycle habits at first e.g. reaching for the non-existent brake lever with your right hand or putting your feet down at traffic lights:-) However once you get used to the oddities they are a lot of fun.

The GS and the RS up to 2012 is pretty much the same machine with quite minor updates each year. Of all the Spyders I'd say they are the simplest and easiest to work on - and as a result probably the most reliable. Yes there are electronics but there's no fly-by-wire throttle, there's no DESS , and similar complexities you find on other models. Personally, I normally do all the services on my 2011 RS.

Hope that helps, no doubt others will chime in as well.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm making a dangerous assumption here...
    If you've been a rider for 45 years: there's "been a lot of water under the bridge" already...
    If you'll be riding two-up: the ergonomics of the bike might not be your best choice.
    If you take a look at used RTs; you'll find that the comfort level for your Better-Half, will increase exponentially...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

We ride 2 up on a 2010 RS SE5.
    Electronic shifting takes some getting used to and honestly it makes me lazy but I tend to just enjoy riding more.
    It was very uncomfortable until we replaced the seat with BRP Comfort.
    Several seat options but I went with the least expensive and we've been very happy with it.
    Already had adjustable bars.
    Replaced OEM touring shield with Madstad and quite happy.

As someone said above:
    RS/GS were the sporty model.
    RT = touring and 2 up comfort.
    ST = in between RS and RT.

I sometimes with I had held out a little longer for a ST because it had a better stock shield, slightly more comfortable seat, floorboards, and higher bars, plus many were purchased with side bags. The seat and shield cost me around $750 and I still have pegs so adding up all the costs would have put me into a ST for about the same.
    The RT was just too big of a jump from a sport bike for the wife.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never had an RS, so I'll let others address your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you've been a rider for 45 years: there's "been a lot of water under the bridge" already...
    If you'll be riding two-up: the ergonomics of the bike might not be your best choice.
    If you take a look at used RTs; you'll find that the comfort level for your Better-Half, will increase exponentially...

Spyder Garage

The only thing I can say is, if you lived close enough, I'd give you a deal on my 2008 GS, SM5. It has over 32,000 miles and all maintenance records. Good luck with your purchase.

Is there a way in Canada to check the mileage? I only say that because a new gage panel was installed on my Spyder to correct a problem, and of course it was at zero miles. But, after about 5 miles, I still had the problem, and my old gage panel put back on. Just a thought.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    The only thing I can say is, if you lived close enough, I'd give you a deal on my 2008 GS, SM5. It has over 32,000 miles and all maintenance records. Good luck with your purchase.

Is there a way in Canada to check the mileage? I only say that because a new gage panel was installed on my Spyder to correct a problem, and of course it was at zero miles. But, after about 5 miles, I still had the problem, and my old gage panel put back on. Just a thought.
    I will have to check that out, I will run the VIN through a Spyder shop again to write down everything and see if the dash was replaced.

very good info here, I have been reading a lot..the Spyder is a little more finicky than many motorcycles.
    As for the drive belt, it appeared perfectly in line when he arrived, he backed up and went about 500 feet to a different parking stall and I noticed the belt was slightly over to the outside. Never owned a belt drive before...maybe they move a bit ?

As for the ergos, i should maybe rent one for a day to try it out (a RS)..although they don't come cheap, over $200.00 per day.

As for tires...well...after a lot of reading that is a question which is best not delved into I guess (kinda like a best oil question..yikes)

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ergonomics... Here's a rough idea of the differences:

Ergos RS.jpgErgos ST.jpgErgos RT.jpgErgos F-3.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

I have never owned a cruiser type motorcycle (either sport bike or sit up and beg style) so the ergos should be okay.
    I know the RT would be more comfy for my wife (she has suffered two up on a BMW F650 GS single) but I wanted to dip my toes in the Spyder world initially for under $10k.
    I can always sell or trade this one if we want to stick with it and upgrade.

Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi manybikes,

Re: I wanted to dip my toes in the Spyder world initially for under $10k.

This was my goal also.

2 1/2 yrs ago I bought a '08 GS for just under $10k. I have put about $2k ( maybe a little less ) into changes.

My riding style now is nowhere like the graphics that Bob Denman has posted; those are as from the factory.

If you like some photos of what mine looks like now, send me an email & I'll send you some photos & info on what I have changed.

Personal email: jerrybaumchen(at)gmail(dot)com

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Here is a 40-something woman sitting on my GS:

Spyder-1-1.jpg

Spyder Garage

My very first was an 08/SM5. I had 23,500 miles on it when I traded off in 2010 for a Premier Edition RTS.

My Experience:
    : No issues with shifting. The SM is virtually trouble free.
    : If that is the original battery. Change it out for peace of mind. When they quit, they do it NOW, and you are stranded.
    : Brakes should be all right at 7,000 miles. Low fluid will get you a brake failure warning. A teaspoon or so down will do it. It might be worth your while to change the eight year old fluid out at this point.
    : Cannot give good advice on the belt. They are supposed to last for 50K miles plus.
    : Replace the old tires. After three years, they are an accident waiting to happen. A previous poster bought one with about 2K miles on it. The rear tire exploded causing over $6K damage to his

Let us know how this all works out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    My very first was an 08/SM5. I had 23,500 miles on it when I traded off in 2010 for a Premier Edition RTS.

My Experience:
    : No issues with shifting. The SM is virtually trouble free.
    : If that is the original battery. Change it out for peace of mind. When they quit, they do it NOW, and you are stranded.
    : Brakes should be all right at 7,000 miles. Low fluid will get you a brake failure warning. A teaspoon or so down will do it. It might be worth your while to change the eight year old fluid out at this point.
    : Cannot give good advice on the belt. They are supposed to last for 50K miles plus.
    : Replace the old tires. After three years, they are an accident waiting to happen. A previous poster bought one with about 2K miles on it. The rear tire exploded causing over $6K damage to his

Let us know how this all works out.
    Thanks for the great info !
    The tire advice is very good, from what I have read the rear is the most expensive, I have read a few threads that describe pretty well how to remove the rear.
    I will let you all know how this turns out.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

As for the drive belt, it appeared perfectly in line when he arrived, he backed up and went about 500 feet to a different parking stall and I noticed the belt was slightly over to the outside. Never owned a belt drive before...maybe they move a bit ?
    On the Spyder they normally settle to the same position when going forwards but when you reverse they shift around lot - that could be why it moved, particularly if they reversed back into the parking stall

Spyder Garage

Default Same situation

i , like yourself have had numerous bikes , snowmobiles over the years ( 40 years I guess ) I looked at the Spyder because I had inner ear balance issues after going deaf . I was about 12 years away from riding . I bought a 2008 GS 2 years ago with 5000 Kms on it in Toronto at Snow City Cycle . I love this machine .... But it does take a little time getting used to the different feel of it , the drive home made me think I made a 12,000 dollar mistake but after a few rides I began to get used to it and now it's very enjoyable . I ride 2 up with my wife 80% of the time and she finds it comfortable but after a couple hours it's good to get off and stretch a bit . I found the transmission shifting the same as what my other bikes were like , but having the reverse is very cool as is never having to put your feet down when you stop . I think likely an RT is in our future a couple years down the road but I'm glad I started with this GS because it was easier on the wallet to get started and they are actually fairly quick and "sporty" when the mood strikes . FYI , mechanically the only issue I have have is an oil pressure switch ($80 installed) in 15,000 Kms
    good luck

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    i , like yourself have had numerous bikes , snowmobiles over the years ( 40 years I guess ) I looked at the Spyder because I had inner ear balance issues after going deaf . I was about 12 years away from riding . I bought a 2008 GS 2 years ago with 5000 Kms on it in Toronto at Snow City Cycle . I love this machine .... But it does take a little time getting used to the different feel of it , the drive home made me think I made a 12,000 dollar mistake but after a few rides I began to get used to it and now it's very enjoyable . I ride 2 up with my wife 80% of the time and she finds it comfortable but after a couple hours it's good to get off and stretch a bit . I found the transmission shifting the same as what my other bikes were like , but having the reverse is very cool as is never having to put your feet down when you stop . I think likely an RT is in our future a couple years down the road but I'm glad I started with this GS because it was easier on the wallet to get started and they are actually fairly quick and "sporty" when the mood strikes . FYI , mechanically the only issue I have have is an oil pressure switch ($80 installed) in 15,000 Kms
    good luck
    Thanks for the info Steve, I really appreciate it.
    Still haven't made a deal but getting close.
    I will pm you.