Spyder Garage

Default Helmet mounted GoPro

How many people use GoPro cameras? I just recently bought the Hero4, and mounted it on the chin of my hybrid helmet. I did a test run the other day that took 9 minutes. I got back, downloaded it to the computer and noticed that those 9 minutes ate up 10 meg of card space, and was even too big to load to YouTube. I had the camera set a 1080 60fps.
    I just did another one today down the feeway and back. I did 720 30fps one way, and did 1080 30fps on the way back. On the way down (720fps) it was 5:30min, and used about 800meg of space. On the way back (1080) 11:24 minutes it used about 2.4GB.
    How am I going to be able to record much if it eats up that much memory on the card? I have a 32gb and 64gb, but I'm doing SpyderQuest & Maggie Valley back to back with out going home and downloading off of disks.
    Any suggestions would be helpful. I just watched several today on YouTube of Maggie Valley that we at least 25 minutes.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Spyder Garage

Don't worry. Your batteries will die before you run out of memory.

Also try and edit over 32 gigs of video if you want to make some custom videos is a pain in the butt.

Do 1080p at 60 frames and load under 10 mins of video to youtube.

Stiff

Sent on Note 5 in Taptalk
    2011 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by _..stiffler.. View Post
    Don't worry. Your batteries will die before you run out of memory.

Also try and edit over 32 gigs of video if you want to make some custom videos is a pain in the butt.

Do 1080p at 60 frames and load under 10 mins of video to youtube.

Stiff

Sent on Note 5 in Taptalk
    I figured that one too. Got 3 batteries, but will be busy re-charging , I am sure of that. Yep editing is a pain. Used to do wedding videography, talk about alot of video and hours on hours of editing.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Steve, I don't know if this helps but my 64 card has 32 mins of 1080/60 video on it and shows I have 4 hrs and 57 mins left at the speed. That's a bunch. It is a pain editing that much. You can dump some video to a laptop to get it off ur card and worry about it later. Give me a call w any questions.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The time required, and the slowness of editing in order not to end up with a boring 30 minute "home movie" thing is why I haven't used my GoPro in over a year.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD1 View Post
    Steve, I don't know if this helps but my 64 card has 32 mins of 1080/60 video on it and shows I have 4 hrs and 57 mins left at the speed. That's a bunch. It is a pain editing that much. You can dump some video to a laptop to get it off ur card and worry about it later. Give me a call w any questions.
    Kevin,
    See, I don't get it. You have a 64gb card w/32min of video, and still showing you have 4hrs and 57min at that setting.
    I just took my 32gb card out, and stuck in a brand new 64gb. I set video at 1080 60fps, and it shows that I have 4hrs and 21min of space at that setting.
    Are you retired? If so, I may call you sometime in the morning to ask some questions.
    Steve

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The time required, and the slowness of editing in order not to end up with a boring 30 minute "home movie" thing is why I haven't used my GoPro in over a year.
    Yea, I do agree to an extent. I bought a Contour GPS camera about 3 years ago for my bicycle rides which I was doing about 1000 to 1500 miles each year, for last several years, and I used it maybe half a dozen times, and now it has sat unused for about the last 2 years.
    Back about 8 years ago I didn't mind editing, because I was doing wedding videography for a few people, but that got too overwhelming to edit. Especially when I would spend an easy 40-50 hours or more just editing.
    I'm sure this will burn out after a while too, but for now it is new and have a couple really beautiful scenic rides coming up next week and the week after, and want to capture the scenery.

Spyder Garage

I don't have the GoPro, I have a Drift HD, but they may have similar functions.

I don't use the video function much because of issues similar to what you've encountered.

The Drift allows you to set up still shots that are taken at automatic intervals. You can adjust the timing, 30 sec, 1 minute, 90 seconds, etc.

I find if I'm going to an event or just a ride, I can capture it quite nicely with stills taken at the automatic intervals, and save the video for very specific events.

I also take the camera skiing.

Just my thoughts. I hope they are helpful.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I had same concerned with mine.I have the extra batery pack, so I can plug the camera directly to a 12v outlet on bike. That way I do not have to worry about battery life. I ended up taking more still shots then videos.
    By the way don't forget the 24th, lol

Lancaster PA transplant (Southern born and bred)
    Spyder Garage

My husband has a GoPro that he uses for a lot of things (rides, fishing, etc.) and he makes a lot of short clips. For example, on Sunday he and some friends took the dirt bikes out and rode for about 4 hours; during that time he captured almost 50 or 60 short clips lasting anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple of minutes....nothing more than that. He has found that they download to a computer faster, you have shorter clips that can be uploaded more quickly and he captures almost the same things if he were running it non-stop. It also makes it easier to edit and put together a longer video.

Example (I had to share because he wrecked and broke the GoPro mount):

https://www.facebook.com/brett.dunn....08860916034125

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brettssunshine View Post
    My husband has a GoPro that he uses for a lot of things (rides, fishing, etc.) and he makes a lot of short clips. For example, on Sunday he and some friends took the dirt bikes out and rode for about 4 hours; during that time he captured almost 50 or 60 short clips lasting anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple of minutes....nothing more than that. He has found that they download to a computer faster, you have shorter clips that can be uploaded more quickly and he captures almost the same things if he were running it non-stop. It also makes it easier to edit and put together a longer video.

Example (I had to share because he wrecked and broke the GoPro mount):

https://www.facebook.com/brett.dunn....08860916034125
    That was slick. I am amazed at how still the shots are. Mine aren't jerky or anything, but not that still. What editing software does everyone use. I tried my Sony Vegas software yesterday, a $600 editing program, and for some reason will put file on timeline, and audio track is there, but video track is black.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I use the GoPro Hero 4 Black for many things- Flying, Spyder rides, etc. I use iMovie on the MAC and shoot in 4K.
    I do use the "back extra battery", and get approx 2hrs of record time at 4K 30fps, protune off. 64G SD card.
    Here is the video we did a couple days ago:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steven Young; 08-30-2016 at 02:13 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That was an excellent video Mr. Young. How long did that take you to edit?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD1 View Post
    That was an excellent video Mr. Young. How long did that take you to edit?
    I Cheated on this one and only made a 1080 Movie which takes less time to do the final Rendering of the movie than 4K. I shot approximately 1.3 hrs of video and cut it down to about 5 minutes. With music, editing and final render it took about 90 minutes to make.

One like this in 4K takes about 3 hrs with editing, music, titles. (Be sure to click on the Vimeo at bottom right of Player, and go to the Vimeo site and then click on HD and click on 4K). You DO
    need a fairly new computer and faster internet speed to see it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

20160504_112906.jpgI went the cheap route and purchased a Ion Air Pro for $35.00. I try to remember to turn it on and off whenever I get into crazy traffic since I purchased mainly for insurance purposes. Holds a 32bit memory card and have around 2.5 hours of recording time off a charge. Plus in this position on my Spyder I can plug in the charger on the back of the camera and reinsert another 32bit card if I want to. Its also wifi enabled so I can look at video on phone or tablet if I am on the go or download or delete later on my computer at home. I could not see paying 300.00 to 500.00 that basically does the same thing. Plus I don't worry so much about dropping it or it getting stolen. It also has various kinds of mounts, including helmet mounts.
    Last edited by Tazzel; 08-30-2016 at 03:39 PM.