Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Steering recall, huh???

I've read about some steering problems on this forum, but I haven't heard about a BRP Spyder steering recall. Now, I've noticed some comments about a steering recall on a couple of postings about other subjects.

I would think this would be important enough that BRP would contact Spyder owners directly, if they made a recall involving the steering.

Please someone, fill me in with some info on a steering recall; if there has been one?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikester View Post
    I've read about some steering problems on this forum, but I haven't heard about a BRP Spyder steering recall. Now, I've noticed some comments about a steering recall on a couple of postings about other subjects.

I would think this would be important enough that BRP would contact Spyder owners directly, if they made a recall involving the steering.

Please someone, fill me in with some info on a steering recall; if there has been one?
    There IS a steering recall mandated by the NHTSA. There is a thread with links to the NHTSA reports and findings. I believe that all North American Spyder owners will be contacted within the next 30 days. The fix is a software update that the dealers were supposed to receive on 07/06/09.

HAve not called my dealer yet.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I asked my dealer yesterday, since he's got my Spyder in for service, Spider City risers, sport rack, and seat back installation. He hadn't received any notice about the recall from BRP, but promised to check it out before finishing up.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    There IS a steering recall mandated by the NHTSA. There is a thread with links to the NHTSA reports and findings. I believe that all North American Spyder owners will be contacted within the next 30 days. The fix is a software update that the dealers were supposed to receive on 07/06/09.

Thanks Firefly. I'll watch for a notice from BRP.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I mentioned it to my dealer, they know of it and are organizing recalls.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Recall

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

As of this morning 7/8/09 my dealer hasn't received anything from BRP to perform the software update.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad to see the recent posting in the "General Discussion" section that BRP has announced a steering recall that should be available later this month (July).

Spyder Garage

My dealer said the recall would be on specific serial numbers, no all spyders in general. When she goes in today for replacement of a shift sensor and outdated brake pads(that were back ordered), he said he'd check it.
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by obiwanbill View Post
    My dealer said the recall would be on specific serial numbers, no all spyders in general. When she goes in today for replacement of a shift sensor and outdated brake pads(that were back ordered), he said he'd check it.
    Yes, some 9,000 plus serial numbers, which is most, if not all the US Spyders. Doing it by year, model, and serial number is just how BRP (and other manufacturers) keep track and issue these things, even if it is every single one ever made. You should receive a letter when the time comes, if you are a registered owner. We have to all be patient, and not get ahead of the process!
    -Scotty