Thread: Gas door

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas door

I bought my new 2016 F3 Limited, and I have issues closing the gas door with the key. I have to push really hard on the right side of the gas door to have the key released from the door. I checked the lock (open/close) perfectly when the door is open. When I close it it take me a bit of time to close it and take the key out. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wengerda View Post
    I bought my new 2016 F3 Limited, and I have issues closing the gas door with the key. I have to push really hard on the right side of the gas door to have the key released from the door. I checked the lock (open/close) perfectly when the door is open. When I close it it take me a bit of time to close it and take the key out. Thanks

Our's is the same way .... Just hope it gets easier over time.

2013 F6B
    2016 F3 Ltd
    2016 F3 LTD , Triple Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It gets easer with use.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navvet View Post
    Our's is the same way .... Just hope it gets easier over time.
    I also put a little grease on the seal and I think that helped. I guess it softened it a little.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Here's the trick...

When closing, place a thumb on either side of the key and press firmly down till the key pops back to center. It will get better with time
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Same thing

Thought I was going to break the key the first time! Has been better since we are on 700 miles in 10 days! Should loosen up with time!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Yep had same issue

Quote Originally Posted by wengerda View Post
    Open gas door: cover opening well: push the rubber gasket spray area liberally with WD40.....then spray key slot liberally with WD40....insert key. and work back and forth, up and down. Haven't had an issue since.
    I was concerned that I was going to break my key off it took that much force and dinking around....

I was at 5000 miles and it was not improving so out comes the can of WD40...

Spyder Garage

Do not push down on the key or try to turn the key while closing the door. Just push down on the door until it clicks and they key will release. Yes, a bit of silicone based lube in the key slot and on the lock slide with make things move easier.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

A known issue with the F3. The fixes above are right on.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    When closing, place a thumb on either side of the key and press firmly down till the key pops back to center. It will get better with time

That's exactly the way I do it. No problems at all. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas Door

I did the WD-40 treatment to the gas door, and now the door is 95% perfect, a little bit of push and it locks. Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Default thought it was just me

I thought I had a defective unit ... the first time was the worst time. Either it is getting easier or I am getting better ... still a pain.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue