Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Why you should use your battery tender

The bike not starting for me had never happened to me, so when I read it happening to some of you others, I was sympathetic, but I didn't feel it. Well, yesterday, I went out to go for a ride, I had been messing with the bike a bit and hadn't ridden it for a week or so. I turned on the key and was walking around the bike to get my helmet and I noticed that all but 2 of the blue lights/stars in my LED flag were dead. I'm thinking damn that sucks. I go to start the bike and the screen is dead and just a couple of dash lights are on. I hit the mode and the starter, nothing. Then I notice that my battery "gage" is blank and my radar det isn't on. What a sinking feeling.

I hadn't left anything on and usually if I was riding in a few days I wouldn't put the battery tender on. I get the charger and open the frunk/etc and jumper it. Even with a "starting charger" it needed a few minutes to charge up the battery for it to start. I got it started and ALL of my lights were working, went out for a 20 minute ride as this battery is new because I had used my super charger on the other one and blew it up.

All is well now but I will be using the battery tender all the time from now on. Like my BMW somethings must be on all of the time.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

I use mine even when parking overnight. I have always done that with all my touring bikes.
    Like you said, something is always on.
    mtbear

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've only plugged ours in when I knew that we wouldn't be ryding for a couple of days...........pretty rare! Guess I'll start doing it everyday, too.
    Last edited by BoilerAnimal; 07-30-2016 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Corrected auto-correct

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use the Tender during the Off-Season.
    Since I have noticed some longer cranking times, and slower cranking speed: the bike will get a new Battery for Christmas!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mtbear View Post
    I use mine even when parking overnight. I have always done that with all my touring bikes.
    mtbear

On all my motorcycles....if they are not being riddin...they are on the tender 24 7 !

I also have two show cars and in the past, farm tractor, lawn equipment.....same thing, always on the tender, even just for overnight. It will lengthen your battery life and when you want something to work... it works

Go for a nice long ride, when home... plug it on the tender. You will see that it goes into a charging mode...obviously the on board charging does not take the battery to full power. The tender guarantees it !
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

I agree, it's always wise to plug the tender in when parking the bike for the night. Aside from keeping the battery charged, it also conditions it, adding to it's life.

Some people think you only need to plug in the battery tender when parked for extended periods, but that's their choice.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PARASITIC DRAIN

For some reason that no one has yet to discover there appears to be a parasitic drain on the Batteries of all Spyders ...( please correct me if someone has figured this out )........ The 1330's have less of a problem because the Alternator has the ability to re-charge the battery waaaaaaay better the Magneto system of the 990 - 998 V-twins .... my 1330 RT is always on a maintainer if at all possible ......................jmho.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Linda's 2011 RT sits for a week at a time as it is only ridden on weekends. No battery tender plugged in and it always starts first try. We do put on over 50 miles each trip, so I am sure it gets charged all the way.

I do put the battery tenders on for the long winter sleep though. My 2014 RT gets ridden most days, so no tender either.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I plug mine in if it's gonna sit for a couple weeks. Other than that it does just fine. It definitely gets plugged in for the offseason or long breaks.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I automatically plug it into the tender when I get back from a ride so it's always ready for my next ride. If I'm on a trip, it doesn't get plugged in, but on a trip it runs at least 200 miles per day, usually more, each and every day.

When I'm home, it's always parked in the garage after each outing (plugged in) even if I'm planning on going out within the hour (plans change). Just a good habit to get into!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Another thought, but maybe all of you already figured this out. Find one of the battery tenders plug ins that has the battery clamps on them, and if you need a jump, you don't have to take the bike half apart to get to the terminals. I know that the RSS have the terminals under the seat but the 2014 doesn't.

20160730_133926_resized.jpg

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Hi Mike,

Re: a parasitic drain on the Batteries of all Spyders

One thing is the clock as it 'tries' to keep time, so that would require power to do so. I am sure there are other things drawing power also.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Hi Bill,

Re: Find one of the battery tenders plug ins that has the battery clamps on them, and if you need a jump, you don't have to take the bike half apart to get to the terminals.

Mine had this on it when I bought it ( I pulled it out from under the seat just for the photo ):

BT.jpg

I recently had to pull my battery and the leads go directly to the battery.

I just lift the seat, pull that lead out & plug her in. Easy-peezy.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Switch my Spyder and my wife bike to the lithium battery. A regular battery tender will not work on them. Going to get to battery tenders for the lithium batteries before winter

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    For some reason that no one has yet to discover there appears to be a parasitic drain on the Batteries of all Spyders ...( please correct me if someone has figured this out )........ The 1330's have less of a problem because the Alternator has the ability to re-charge the battery waaaaaaay better the Magneto system of the 990 - 998 V-twins .... my 1330 RT is always on a maintainer if at all possible ......................jmho.......Mike
    If the Spyder is like most modern vehicles, the ECM is always drawing a little current. I'd bet that the D.E.S.S. is always drawing some as well.
    Last edited by robmorg; 07-31-2016 at 09:35 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default I'm with you....

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Linda's 2011 RT sits for a week at a time as it is only ridden on weekends. No battery tender plugged in and it always starts first try. We do put on over 50 miles each trip, so I am sure it gets charged all the way.

I do put the battery tenders on for the long winter sleep though. My 2014 RT gets ridden most days, so no tender either.
    Well mostly. I don't even have a battery tender. My RS goes weeks without ryding and always fires up first try. I can see it on the baggers with all the do dads...but if you have chargers on your spyder, even with the ignition off they will draw. Best not leave anything hooked up to your power outlets....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1162698]For some reason that no one has yet to discover there appears to be a parasitic drain on the Batteries of all Spyders ...( please correct me if someone has figured this out )........

of course there is a parasitic drain. How else do you think the clock will maintain such amazingly correct time. (note sarcasm)
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LITHIUM - ION BATTERY TENDERS

Quote Originally Posted by CMA/IBA_rider View Post
    Switch my Spyder and my wife bike to the lithium battery. A regular battery tender will not work on them. Going to get to battery tenders for the lithium batteries before winter
    I have looked into this type of battery ( a Deltran to be specific ) .... and the only requirement for a Battery maintainer ( ie tender ) was that IT DIDN'T / COULDN'T DE-SULFATE ...... other than that, ANY maintainer would work ....... check with your manufacturer ......................Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Well mostly. I don't even have a battery tender. My RS goes weeks without ryding and always fires up first try. I can see it on the baggers with all the do dads...but if you have chargers on your spyder, even with the ignition off they will draw. Best not leave anything hooked up to your power outlets....
    Right. Which reminds me... If you have a Sena Bluetooth dongle on your Spyder, drawing power from the entertainment system, I believe that may always be charging.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I only use the battery tender when the bike will not be used for more than 2-3 weeks..Most likely off season..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mtbear View Post
    mtbear

As soon as the engine cools. I plug mine in. Always! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

All the more reason to have a manual crank and handle hanging out the front like the reliable Model T!

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Right. Which reminds me... If you have a Sena Bluetooth dongle on your Spyder, drawing power from the entertainment system, I believe that may always be charging.
    I don't think so. If I forget to turn my dongle off, it goes dead, apparently it has a small internal battery. When it goes dead, the bike will start to charge it but it doesn't seem to work as well so I end up charging it in the house, and then it acts normal. So remember to turn that off after your ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    If the Spyder is like most modern vehicles, the ECM is always drawing a little current. I'd bet that the D.E.S.S. is always drawing some as well.
    The DESS is not drawing power after shutdown. That's why it's so funny when people talk about pulling the key out and walking away for an hour so it cannot be detected by the DESS or all other versions of this myth.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    I don't think so. If I forget to turn my dongle off, it goes dead, apparently it has a small internal battery. When it goes dead, the bike will start to charge it but it doesn't seem to work as well so I end up charging it in the house, and then it acts normal. So remember to turn that off after your ride.
    That is correct if the dongle is connected the way BRP intended by the radio. When the key is turned off the power is turned off to the dongle.

I do not have the dongle hooked up that way. Mine is hooked up always on. It is just a pain in the ass to open the front trunk and switch it off and on. So it is on all the time. I also have my helmet headset plugged in and charging when parked as well. So with those extra loads my battery will discharge enough in 4 or 5 days I cannot start it anymore. So I plug into the tender when I am not going to ride for a couple days.

I have a friend with a 2010 RT with the original battery in it. It sits for 4 or 5 months of the year. Does not disconnect the battery. He does not use a battery tender. This spring he complained because it would not start without booster cables. This is the first time it would not start in the spring.

2018 F3 LIMITED