Spyder Garage

Default Transmission Warning light/ Check transmission scroll

I have a 2012 RSS SE5 with 3100 miles.
    I was riding today when someone stopped quickly in front of me. I hit the brakes and downshifted. It wasn't a panic stop by any means. My transmission light came on and scrolled (Check transmission). It stayed on for about 15 seconds and went off. It momentarily came on one more time when downshifting a few minutes later. A little history. I changed the oil and both transmission and oil filters a couple days ago. I check the oil at operating temperature and seems to be at the top of the full range. When I first put the oil in the manual said to use 4.5 qts with both filters being changed, but had to siphon some of the oil out because it showed too high when warm. I still have the small transmission filter (don't have the extended cap). I plan on ordering the new cap and filter tomorrow to be sure that isn't the problem. I didn't know if anyone had any experiences or advice. I haven't tried to pull a code because it didn't have any problems for the rest of the ride (15 miles or so). I decided not to downshift until the RPM's were lower. Is it okay on the Spyder to downshift for engine braking. If so, at what point, or RPM's) is it okay? Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

Sudden stops upset the nanny. I know don't ask. She responds with these little, let's say glitches. They clear and your fine no harm done. If it comes back then start checking..

You can only check codes when the ignition is on at the time the warning is active. If it goes away or you shut her off the codes are stored and can only be accessed with the buds system at the dealer.

When doing oil change only add 3 quarts then run it and check the level and add as needed. It's easier to add than syphon out...

I have a 2012 RS sm5 so as to the downshifting on the semi automatic is don't really know...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info.
    At what point would you just consider it a glitch or a real problem? If it clears itself would that most likely be a glitch? Will the warning light stay on if it is a potential problem to worry about?

I just purchased the extended transmission filter cap and longer filter. I will install that next week. Don't know if that (better oil flow) will help or not.

Thanks again.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by bghancock View Post
    I have a 2012 RSS SE5 with 3100 miles.
    I was riding today when someone stopped quickly in front of me. I hit the brakes and downshifted. It wasn't a panic stop by any means. My transmission light came on and scrolled (Check transmission). It stayed on for about 15 seconds and went off. It momentarily came on one more time when downshifting a few minutes later. A little history. I changed the oil and both transmission and oil filters a couple days ago. I check the oil at operating temperature and seems to be at the top of the full range. When I first put the oil in the manual said to use 4.5 qts with both filters being changed, but had to siphon some of the oil out because it showed too high when warm. I still have the small transmission filter (don't have the extended cap). I plan on ordering the new cap and filter tomorrow to be sure that isn't the problem. I didn't know if anyone had any experiences or advice. I haven't tried to pull a code because it didn't have any problems for the rest of the ride (15 miles or so). I decided not to downshift until the RPM's were lower. Is it okay on the Spyder to downshift for engine braking. If so, at what point, or RPM's) is it okay? Thanks
    I had an 11 RSS....SE-5....At about 12,000 mi. I also started to get " check trans " warning icon on dash....NO LIMP MODE.....Dealer said He couldn't FIND anything in the computer......this went on for 1 1/2 years and the frequency increased PLUS sometimes it wouldn't shift .......dealer still said couldn't find it in computer ( using BUDS )....at Spyderfest 2014 I took it to the BRP Tech's..........Danny found 246 " EVENTS " ( His term ) logged into the computer dating back over 1 1/2 yrs.....He gave me His card and told me to give it to the Dealer Tech and said the Tech isn't using BUDS correctly and He ( Danny ) would Help Him..........End result ----Paddle shifter re-placed under warranty ..................On the oil thing if you only check your OIL - AFTER a ride it's always at correct TEMP.....ANNNNNNNNNNNND it's always ready to ride IMMED. because you checked already..................good luck......................Mike

Spyder Garage

You got warning for a reason. Sorry I don't buy into you were doing a sudden stop and you upset something. If you got a VSS light on during some type of dramatic action OK normal. But not a Check Transmission warning. Since it was a temporary problem. Bring it up the next time you take it in for service. They can them plug it in and look for codes that may go with your experience. From that they can recommend a solution.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

You can downshift the SE5 with no problem, it will auto downshift at probably 2000 rpm I usually will downshift at 3000 rpm on 1330 cc. You can just experiment on the rpms as long as you don't redline

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a similar issue with my 2012 RS with about 11,000 miles. When I pulled the code it showed the shift switch was the problem. I can't remember the code? I had to visit the dealer a couple times and he had to order the part (the paddle shifter on the handle bars) so I rode the Spyder for a couple thousand miles with the bad shifter. The code kept popping up but the bike shifted OK for the most part. Sometimes I'd have to shift twice to get it to work.

My guess is your paddle shifter is going bad. My was replaced under warranty. Not sure what they cost?

Works great now and actually shifts better then it did when new.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the great info!!
    I will ride on and see if it becomes a regular issue.