Spyder Garage

Default Summer Jacket Thoughts and Other Gear

Howdy Folks,

I'm looking to acquire a summer jacket for riding the F3-S. I currently have this in grey and find if it's above 80 I become the swamp thing. I am curious what mesh jackets folks recommend and if maybe a kevlar shirt is enough. The current jacket is great for cooler days, and ice cold days with the liner in. I don't really care for the back pad though, it's heavy and bulky and causing back heat like crazy. I live in Va so I'll be battling 80-110 degree weather with this jacket. I also prefer temps on the cooler side so I'll use this a lot of the year I reckon.

So my questions:
    • Do you prefer the chopped or touring cut of the jacket for a spyder?
    • What about jackets with the smaller back protectors like some of the TourMaster?
    • Kevlar button up good enough?
    • Any reason to buy a Klim vs say a Joe Rocket?
    • Is mesh the best for max coolness?

I've read a lot of the threads from the old search function and didn't really find all my answers. I did see a lot of people like first gear though.

The blue ridge shield I have isn't great at letting air into my current jackets vents, but it's amazing at creating turbulence! I plan to replace this with a Route 129 or maybe even a F4 windshield. Two different chains of though there, get more air into vents, or get more breathable gear and enjoy the lower airflow.

Any other summer gear or tricks would be awesome as well. Teach me all the things please!

Thanks,
    DP

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One Word: Mesh...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 06-16-2016 at 10:41 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like Bob said, MESH. If you believe in staying protected even during HOT weather a mesh jacket is probably your best bet. I have a Fieldsheer Mesh jacket that has the waterproof
    removable liner. You may want less windshield in hot weather to increase your airflow. I ride a '13 STS that has a manually adjustable windshield, as it gets warmer, down goes the shield to give me more air. It gets pretty hot here but, not having to stop is the only way to stay cooler, intersections and traffic lights are rough as the heat from the road and the engine can be oppressive!!! If it is above 90°F I will try not to ride since you almost have to sit in a bucket of ice to stay cool, and that doesn't seem too practical.
    Good luck and ride safe!!!

Spyder Garage

Roger that, these jackets look nice. I agree with the traffic lights as well. The F3 gets soooooo hot at a light.

Spyder Garage

Mesh is better than wearing even less. I have FirstGear and Gierke to wear when the weather is warm.

I still wear heavy boots, but go down to jeans, fingerless gloves, and Nolan 40 series helmet.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I wear this one, http://www.cyclegear.com/DAINESE-Sup...orcycle-Jacket. Not sure you could find a lighter jacket that is virtually see through and has protection.

Kent.
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

Default My Thoughts

So my questions:

• Do you prefer the chopped or touring cut of the jacket for a spyder? ICON ANTHEM in white - full mesh jacket, but a full size (not chopped or touring style) - Mesh in the summer and anything else in the winter.
    • What about jackets with the smaller back protectors like some of the TourMaster? - The pads, in my opinion, heat you up and offer little to no protection if in an accident. You're not likely to low-side on a Can Am so what would the back protector do anyway? A big air bubble would be the best option, but those jackets are hot and expensive.
    • Kevlar button up good enough? - Will this allow you to ride better, because you are comfy with the thought of protection....then go for it. If it heats you up, and causes discomfort, forget about it. Heat can cause you to make mistakes, and get into trouble.
    • Any reason to buy a Klim vs say a Joe Rocket? - Heavens no...for what reason would you buy an adventure style Klim jacket for? Again you're not going to fall off or low-side, so the $1000 expense can be used for comfort in the seat or other mods. I had a Joe Rocket and now an Icon...love those cheaper brands that offer a full mesh option with a few pads for that low-speed accident that may occur.
    • Is mesh the best for max coolness? - If you're going to wear gear, it's the only way to go. You can also choose the Heat-out shirts and soak it in water, then put it on and put the mesh jacket on over that. Also, it's an option to wear heat-out shorts and mesh pants over that as well. When you start drying out, stop and add some water to the garments and keep moving. Blocking the UV and direct sun is better than allowing the skin to burn and dry up...you get dehydrated quicker. There's a reason why middle easterners wear the full garments in the desert.

I am a fan of wearing what you feel is your comfort gear...because that will keep your mind sharp. Once you start over-heating and dehydrating, you get tired and make mistakes. I will say, that I prefer a full helmet of high quality because that is the most important asset you have. Usually they are a bit warmer, but sometimes not because they too have better airflow due to the venting systems (Venturi effect). I have a Shoei RF-1100 which is my absolute favorite. Beyond that, I wear some gear and sometimes not...all about what I feel is comfortable...I've been in an accident on a motorcycle and for me it didn't matter what I had on, I lost the war between a 3500lb vehicle and my 250lb body. Although my body/bones didn't fair well, my head was in tack and no concussion or injury came from the collision. My thought is that a collision on a Can Am will result in a high side accident and broken bones will result, not road rash from a long slide. Just my opinion...hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kay View Post
    So my questions:

• Do you prefer the chopped or touring cut of the jacket for a spyder? ICON ANTHEM in white - full mesh jacket, but a full size (not chopped or touring style) - Mesh in the summer and anything else in the winter.
    • What about jackets with the smaller back protectors like some of the TourMaster? - The pads, in my opinion, heat you up and offer little to no protection if in an accident. You're not likely to low-side on a Can Am so what would the back protector do anyway? A big air bubble would be the best option, but those jackets are hot and expensive.
    • Kevlar button up good enough? - Will this allow you to ride better, because you are comfy with the thought of protection....then go for it. If it heats you up, and causes discomfort, forget about it. Heat can cause you to make mistakes, and get into trouble.
    • Any reason to buy a Klim vs say a Joe Rocket? - Heavens no...for what reason would you buy an adventure style Klim jacket for? Again you're not going to fall off or low-side, so the $1000 expense can be used for comfort in the seat or other mods. I had a Joe Rocket and now an Icon...love those cheaper brands that offer a full mesh option with a few pads for that low-speed accident that may occur.
    • Is mesh the best for max coolness? - If you're going to wear gear, it's the only way to go. You can also choose the Heat-out shirts and soak it in water, then put it on and put the mesh jacket on over that. Also, it's an option to wear heat-out shorts and mesh pants over that as well. When you start drying out, stop and add some water to the garments and keep moving. Blocking the UV and direct sun is better than allowing the skin to burn and dry up...you get dehydrated quicker. There's a reason why middle easterners wear the full garments in the desert.

I am a fan of wearing what you feel is your comfort gear...because that will keep your mind sharp. Once you start over-heating and dehydrating, you get tired and make mistakes. I will say, that I prefer a full helmet of high quality because that is the most important asset you have. Usually they are a bit warmer, but sometimes not because they too have better airflow due to the venting systems (Venturi effect). I have a Shoei RF-1100 which is my absolute favorite. Beyond that, I wear some gear and sometimes not...all about what I feel is comfortable...I've been in an accident on a motorcycle and for me it didn't matter what I had on, I lost the war between a 3500lb vehicle and my 250lb body. Although my body/bones didn't fair well, my head was in tack and no concussion or injury came from the collision. My thought is that a collision on a Can Am will result in a high side accident and broken bones will result, not road rash from a long slide. Just my opinion...hope this helps.
    Great post, thanks!

I looked your helmet and it looks great. I have a neotec right now. I often wonder if a one piece helmet is quieter than my neotec.
    Last edited by pludn; 06-16-2016 at 02:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

I prefer a touring style mesh Jacket if you are a large person first gear or cut Full with large sizes. I just purchased there Adventure mesh Jacket from motorcycle gear.com. If you want to talk top-of-the-line go to www.motoport.com website, they will custom make you a ridding Jacket and pants.

Spyder Garage

A mesh jacket is my choice. Preferably in a bright color. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by remark2013 View Post
    I wear this one, http://www.cyclegear.com/DAINESE-Sup...orcycle-Jacket. Not sure you could find a lighter jacket that is virtually see through and has protection.

Kent.
    The jacket is great. The color sucks. Honestly you need a bright color to be seen and noticed. White, yellow Red etc. unless your not concerned with safety.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Mesh

I have a speed and Strength mesh. It has elbow and shoulder hard protection, back pad and a removable liner. I like it very much.

Spyder Garage

I have a first gear and scorpion mesh jacket. I rather the first gear. I ride with the back protector in at all times.

i use a full face helmet.i tried a German style helmet for the first time last week and did not like it. I could feel the heat from the street on my face, something I have never felt with my full face.
    2015 F3S SE6
    You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding

2015 F3s , Orange/black

Spyder Garage

Mesh all the way.. Check speed and strength or vice versa for some great options...
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Spyder Garage

I use this:

Base
    http://www.cyclegear.com/HEAT-OUT-Ba...-Crew-Neck-Top

Jacket(white and black):
    http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Techno...orcycle-Jacket

Pants:
    http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-IRON-W...le-Cargo-Pants

During the week, I wear a company branded polo shirt over the base. On the weekends, I just wear the base alone or throw a t-shirt over it.

The Bilt mesh jacket is a must. Best thing I ever did. It is armored up so I like the protection

The Bilt pants are amazing. (make sure you try them on at a store. I wear a 34 waist with jeans but the 36 was a better fit) I use them year round and have multiple pairs. Since I wear them at work, I took the CE armor out but I still have the kevlar protection. All of the pockets are great at work to hold stuff. For the past two years, I have had the same 4 pairs of these riding pants and they are not even close to being worn out. I wear them everyday and just throw them in the washing machine when they need it. If I am outside the house, riding or not, I have these on.

Gloves and boots are your preference but I have always gone with Alpinestars. They last way longer then most brands and always do what they say they do. (I have been burned in the past with gloves or boots claiming to be waterproof when they were just water resistant.)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pludn View Post
    Great post, thanks!

I looked your helmet and it looks great. I have a neotec right now. I often wonder if a one piece helmet is quieter than my neotec.
    Crazy, but a lot of wind noise comes from under the helmet. If you find a tight fitting neck roll, cheek pads, and a chin curtain, like my Shoei or Schuberth, or icon airmada, you'll find them a lot quieter. Or just invest in a multi pack of ear plugs and use when on the interstate, or if you're going to be cruising around town over 60mph

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    The jacket is great. The color sucks. Honestly you need a bright color to be seen and noticed. White, yellow Red etc. unless your not concerned with safety.

​Jack
    Thanks for your opinion Jack, even though I didn't ask for it.
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To the perspective that you don't need as much protection on the Spyder because your risk of a minor-yet-common motorcycle accident like a low-side is non-existent, I'd only remind folks that we can still get thrown off a Spyder in any number of ways that will still leave our bodies slamming into asphalt and road-rashing along the way. The Nanny tries its best to keep three wheels down, but anything built by man can be tricked by man. Likewise, not everyone keeps their seat if/when they get rear-ended on a Spyder.

Bottom line: If you're not in a cage wearing a seatbelt surrounded by airbags and crumple zones, you always assume the risk that you could enjoy an unscheduled dismount from your Spyder.