Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Homecoming Challenges

I suppose that I now have a personal beef with the 1.2 billion people that identify themselves with a certain school of thought.
    You and Your Prophet have inconvenienced me.

I used to travel a lot.
    So much so that when I didn't have to I swore that I didn't need nor want a passport.
    I would be content to spend my life in the good ole USA driving my Spyder on roads my taxes paid for.

Then BRP in some sort of Global Village, UN inspired plot decided that I had to travel to a foreign country.
    You know, The Great White North where they live in igloos and have just recently instituted a program to make indoor toilets optional.
    A country so cold that a balmy 74 degree day in Buffalo is suddenly a chilly 23 degrees right over the border.

So, in order to travel to that backward, third world country of Canada that happens to produce the most technologically advanced open road vehicle on the planet I needed a passport.
    Or a much cheaper passport card.

OK, I'm a proper US citizen born in the USA.
    I have a Birth Certificate and a driver's license.
    Except the guy at the Post Office says No.
    My Birth Certificate is only a declaration by the hospital that they would register my birth.
    I was, for historical purposes, the 226th baby born at Corry Memorial Hospital.

It seems my cheaper than cheap father had elected not to pay the 1.00 fee to get my actual Birth Certificate.
    Stanley, even after being dead for 40 years you still are making my life miserable.
    Now its gonna cost me $15.00
    Have your Last Laugh.

After I fill out the forms, write the check and wait for processing I can't help but pine for the simpler times when we Americans could visit our frozen, monarch oppressed cousins in the Great White North by merely wearing something warm and driving over the Peace Bridge.
    Last edited by spyderCodes; 06-08-2016 at 02:05 PM.

Spyder Garage

I did a lot of traveling for years to the US for work or pleasure. The only ID I needed was a driver's licence. Times have changed. Now need a passport, enhanced driver's licence or NEXUS card. So my choice is the passport. But it may not be good enough. If the passport expires in less than 6 months. They will not let me cross into the US.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I know that feeling but one better. For work I had to go into Mexico and work at multiple plants. I was told by them to bring my birth certificate because I'd have to get a green card to work in Mexico.
    After I am standing at the border office on the Mexico side with my birth certificate in hand and my drivers license, do I hear that same line.
    Luckily the guy taking me to the company talked with them for a while and they went ahead and accepted the declaration. It wouldn't of been good to have to go back because my Mom was saving money by not getting my certificate.

I do have multiple copies of my birth certificate now!
    Last edited by IVSSpyder; 06-09-2016 at 06:35 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess that I've got to get a passport also...
    (The last time I ventured North of the Border: 1989!)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As much as I don't want to give any money to the Federal Government; I'd rather give it to them, than to New York State...
    But thanks for the suggestion!

Spyder Garage

This will be the first time in my 40, by then 41 years of life stepping foot in another country. Even though I already have a passport as a requirement for my work. I will need to get mine renewed before then. Don't wait until the last minute to get a new one, or renew, they can be slow in getting you one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Already had the passport - been to plenty of countries, all expenses paid by my rich Uncle Sam!

Unfortunately, that ship has sailed and I have to pay my own way, now!

But, either way, I'll be in Valcourt next year!
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

You have a great way with words Roger.

A good warning to those heading to the party. You will need a passport or equivalent. No guns permitted. You will have to leave them at the door and pick them up on the return trip.

When encountering the Border Crossing, do everything they ask. The spouse moved her ahead without being asked to do so. They pulled her over and gave her the complete "treatment" and saddlebag search. I heard it all because our helmet communicators were on.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As the old saying goes: "If they tell you to take a : be prepared to merely ask how much? What color?, and Where to they want it?"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I did a lot of traveling for years to the US for work or pleasure. The only ID I needed was a driver's licence. Times have changed. Now need a passport, enhanced driver's licence or NEXUS card. So my choice is the passport. But it may not be good enough. If the passport expires in less than 6 months. They will not let me cross into the US.

I'm pretty sure I read on the Canadian passport site that it is OK as long as it does not expire before you return from the USA.

I had to look it up as I was not sure myself.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Default Border Rider

I live right on the Canadian Border in Vermont and we have 3 Port of Entries in our town within 3 1/2 miles of each other, so I
    cross quite often. Going into Canada with a passport is quite easy. If you use an enhanced drivers license they automatically
    bring up your DMV history and if you have a previous DUI or serious driving offense in your history they can and will refuse entry
    if they want to. when you use a passport or nexus card that info does not show up. Believe me I have friends and reletives go
    through this. And then you have to come back to the good ole U.S and our guys can really be a pain your a"" . It seems like it's harder
    to come back to our own country. Some of the customs inspectors are good guy's but a lot of them are not, or they hate their jobs.

P.S. The border crossing at I 91 is going to be under reconstruction for the next 2 yrs., entry back to U.S. could be slow. There is
    another crossing on rt 5 in Derby Line that might be quicker.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Border Rider View Post
    I live right on the Canadian Border in Vermont and we have 3 Port of Entries in our town within 3 1/2 miles of each other, so I
    cross quite often. Going into Canada with a passport is quite easy. If you use an enhanced drivers license they automatically
    bring up your DMV history and if you have a previous DUI or serious driving offense in your history they can and will refuse entry
    if they want to. when you use a passport or nexus card that info does not show up. Believe me I have friends and reletives go
    through this. And then you have to come back to the good ole U.S and our guys can really be a pain your a"" . It seems like it's harder
    to come back to our own country. Some of the customs inspectors are good guy's but a lot of them are not, or they hate their jobs.

P.S. The border crossing at I 91 is going to be under reconstruction for the next 2 yrs., entry back to U.S. could be slow. There is
    another crossing on rt 5 in Derby Line that might be quicker.
    Thanks for the info about the enhanced drivers license. ( which I have)

I live only 2 hours from the Canadian Boarder. I go to Walt's Sales & Service on Route 5 in Derby Line. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I spent enough time and $$ in CA racing at Mosport, now that I need a passport to get into CA just to visit BRP they can KMA. You can figure out what KMA stands for.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Another option Roger

Come here first. I will take you N. Then a few back back roads and then a short jaunt thru the woods and you will be in Canada. 50 years of such knowledge I know that 3 drug runners and one cattle thief have been caught. So the odds are in your favor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I go into Canada quite often for racing. If you drive you need a passport or a passport card (quicker and cheaper than a regular passport). The passport card is also good for driving into Mexico and for cruises leaving from North America.

If you have a dui, dwi, or other serious driving conviction they're going to turn you away. We have that problem with racing crew members all the time.

Getting a passport or card is easy. I've had passports for over 40 years and my son, who is 38, got his first one when he was a week old. If you're gonna travel internationally, you need one. It IS the 21st Century.

Welcome to the world.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I cross into to Canada 4-5 times a year. When I was younger (between 18 and 21) it was every other weekend. When I was younger I just needed the license. Now I use the passport card. Getting into Canada is a piece of cake. Takes about 3 minutes. I find getting back into the US is tougher. Lots of questions, lots of looks, more questions and sometimes I even get to go inside and talk a bit.

Numerous times I have been asked to give detailed driving directions from the border crossing to my house. The last time I gave a completely bogus set of directions. The border guard believed every word and waved me on my way.

Which brings me too..................Passports, passport cards, enhanced licenses, border guards, border vehicles, large border buildings with all kinds of technology, the TSA, x ray scanners, metal detectors, dogs, etc, etc, etc. Honestly does anyone really believe that any of this makes us any safer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McNally View Post
    Already had the passport - been to plenty of countries, all expenses paid by my rich Uncle Sam!

Unfortunately, that ship has sailed and I have to pay my own way, now!

But, either way, I'll be in Valcourt next year!
    Are you talking about military deployments? I thought deployed personnel travel on orders and not passports. ????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Come here first. I will take you N. Then a few back back roads and then a short jaunt thru the woods and you will be in Canada. 50 years of such knowledge I know that 3 drug runners and one cattle thief have been caught. So the odds are in your favor
    Good to know.
    I won't have to strap Pugsly, my F3 on my back and swim will I?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
    I spent enough time and $$ in CA racing at Mosport
    BRP held an event there a month ago. That was my first time on a Spyder. Two weeks later I had my own.

I'm sure the Canadian customs agents will wonder why the heck so many Spyders are crossing over.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, with all of that being said. I am a FROZEN NORTHERNER and live in an igloo. I have a passport and have had for years. I have crossed into the US numerous times and like the people say, HARDER TO GET INTO YOUR COUNTRY than mine. With that being said if you don't want to play by the rules STAY HOME. Simple math, I think. Too all those going to the Spyder anniversary, in VALCOURT QUEBEC CANADA, have fun and enjoy. Hopefully will see you there. For the rest well, OH WELL. enuf said.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERGUY1 View Post
    Well, with all of that being said. I am a FROZEN NORTHERNER and live in an igloo. I have a passport and have had for years. I have crossed into the US numerous times and like the people say, HARDER TO GET INTO YOUR COUNTRY than mine. With that being said if you don't want to play by the rules STAY HOME. Simple math, I think. Too all those going to the Spyder anniversary, in VALCOURT QUEBEC CANADA, have fun and enjoy. Hopefully will see you there. For the rest well, OH WELL. enuf said.
    Do you keep your passport in a blubber lined pouch to keep it dry in the igloo?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually in seal skin double wrapped which also serves a double purpose for our new invention of inside plumbing. The igloo is GUARANTEED MUCH MORE thermal effecient than your wood stick home will ever be. GOOGLE IT....

Spyder Garage

Default Jackman ME

Several years ago the wife and I took the toy hauler and four wheelers to Jackman ME to ride the trails. We were able to ride into Canada with just out drivers license.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERGUY1 View Post
    Actually in seal skin double wrapped which also serves a double purpose for our new invention of inside plumbing. The igloo is GUARANTEED MUCH MORE thermal effecient than your wood stick home will ever be. GOOGLE IT....
    I suppose seal skin is the better choice since the temptation to eat the blubber during one of your 36 hour winter nights would be overwhelming.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Never fear....

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    Good to know.
    I won't have to strap Pugsly, my F3 on my back and swim will I?
    No motes, no dragons, hopefully no helicopters or cougars!!!