Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    This argument about the lack of a helmet law driving up costs for everybody simply doesn't hold water. The cost to individual insureds is so miniscule that it is indeed negligible.
    In order to intelligently argue this point, we need cold hard facts, which we may never get. Until then, neither side can claim the high road.

And any regulation that infringes upon the personal rights of individual members of a society, to the benefit of no one else, could hardly be labeled as "common sense regulation".
    You would agree then, if a benefit can be shown to exist for the public in general, an infringement of personal rights is justified?

So the ultimate question then becomes what is the benefit to the general public? Then the next question is how great must the general benefit be to justify infringement of personal rights? And that, my friend, is the question at the core of determining how a democracy shall be governed. Two hundred years ago the answer was a lot different than it is today.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Koop View Post
    I beg to differ. See my post above regarding the insurance premium increase in Michigan after the repeal of helmet law. I personally suffered the premium increase even though I always rode with a helmet on my head - this argument does hold water.
    You didn't say what kind of insurance you were talking about – I assume it may be your motorcycle insurance policy. If so, what specific coverage on the policy increased in rates , and by how much? Most of the cost of motorcycle insurance is for comp & collision, and those coverages don't have anything to do with injuries. If they raised the premium on the entire policy across-the-board , I suspect that it was either a coincidence, and your rates would've gone up anyway, or that they used the repeal of the law as an excuse to raise rates across the state without a direct correlation to risk factor. . Like I said, personal injury coverage (for when the insured is injured) is usually a very small part of the overall premium.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't care what other people say, I'm wearing my headbucket. It's my law to wear my helmet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    ...You would agree then, if a benefit can be shown to exist for the public in general, an infringement of personal rights is justified?

So the ultimate question then becomes what is the benefit to the general public? Then the next question is how great must the general benefit be to justify infringement of personal rights? And that, my friend, is the question at the core of determining how a democracy shall be governed. Two hundred years ago the answer was a lot different than it is today.
    To the extent that the public in general would suffer harm, the question of what constitutes a "personal right" obviously comes into play. As for the rest of what you said above... I agree with your premise, and that the question is always evolving - sadly not to the benefit of the public , more often than not.
    Last edited by robmorg; 06-07-2016 at 12:44 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

People keep focusing on how anyones decision not to wear a helmet is raising your insurance premiums and therefore is injurious to you.

Accordingly I demand that all of you stop eating red meat, sugar and fat (especially that delicious bacon) as your insistence on doing that is what is really raising medical costs and thus my insurance premiums.

The world has been turned upside down when the same people who scream Don't Tread on Me also demand that the government control other people's behavior if it might impact or offend your chosen behaviors.

Relax folks. Worry more about the stupid cage drivers that target us and less about your fellow riders and their decisions in this matter. Wear what you want when you want. Live and let, well, let road rash happen to someone else.

Peace.
    ATWALT
    ATWALT*
    2014 RTS - SE6 Cognac (named Josephine).
    FOBO, ShowChrome top rack
    Spyder Cuff, Highway Pegs, LidLox, Passenger Drink Holder from LaMonster

Recently returned to Florida, looking for new roads...

Former: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Edition (#104)
    2016 Piaggio MP3 500 ABS/ASR
    2006 Suzuki Burgman 400

*All Three Wheels Alla Lovin' Time

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Helmet laws are no more intrusive than seatbelt laws - and there was just as much anger when they became mandatory. No one says a helmet will protect from all possible injury - but, all things being equal, a helmet will allow riders to walk away from many accidents that would have killed them or seriously injured them without the helmet.

As for the original post, the number of deaths per year does not, necessarily have anything to do with helmets - too many factors involved, such as more distracted drivers, more traffic, more people on motorcycles - but the following does say a lot - from the article:

"Over that same period, a 2016 hospital study found of 345 motorcycle crash victims brought to Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital in Grand Rapids, 10 percent of riders who were not wearing helmets died, compared with 3 percent of riders who wore helmets. Riders not wearing helmets also had more severe head injuries, spent more days in intensive care, and more time on a ventilator, the study found.

The average hospital cost for non-helmeted riders was $27,760 – 32 percent higher than for those wearing helmets."

This shows that helmets do save lives, or, at least, lessen some injuries. It also shows that there is a financial cost to others when a person gets in an accident while exercising the right to not wear a helmet - and that financial cost is what gives society the right to impose laws regarding helmet use - as the decision impacts others, not just the rider.

I experienced a very trivial accident as a young man - a simple spill on a bike that embarrassed me - hardly doing 15 MPH - I got up, embarrassed, and brushing myself off - and was surprised to see the look on my friend's face - he was staring at me with his mouth open, looking shocked. He told me to look at my helmet - right over my right temple, a golf ball sized rock was embedded in the helmet. It would have been in my brain without that helmet - I'll never ride without a helmet, again.
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

My $.02 I'm still riding
    Attached Images Attached Images