Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear "Air Damper"

Mine is a 2012 RT Limited with the air bag that maintains the rear ride height automatically. My question is, what really happens when you select the different firmness settings. I assume that it is somehow controlled with the manifold for the air bag but cannot verify this assumption. Does anybody know how it really works?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My understanding is that the system is more of an automatic height adjustment/leveling system. That is, there is a sensor on the swingarm and the ECU will try and keep the ride height adjusted to keep the bike at the set level. That is where the adjustable shock comes into play.

I do know for it to work your bike needs to be in gear and moving and maybe one other thing.

Carl
    Last edited by quickster47; 09-23-2013 at 07:34 AM.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

The system adjusts to maintain a set ride-height, via the ACS sensor linked to the swingarm. When you raise the setting or the sensor reads below its set point, the compressor runs and fills the airbag more...providing the Spyder is running, in gear, and the parking brake is released. When you select a lower setting or the sensor reads higher than the setpoint, the air release solenoid valve opens and releases some air. This happens in steps so it does not overshoot, with several small releases instaed of one large one.

Spyder Garage

Don't really understand it either but was looking in the manual yesterday to see what the air pressure should be and it listed it anywhere from 20-90 lbs depending on load (your weight plus passenger). Checked mine and it was just below 20 so I put more in to bring it up to 30 since I ride without passenger and weight 180. Haven't had a chance to try it yet but it had seemed a little soft before with setting in the middle.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The system adjusts to maintain a set ride-height, via the ACS sensor linked to the swingarm. When you raise the setting or the sensor reads below its set point, the compressor runs and fills the airbag more...providing the Spyder is running, in gear, and the parking brake is released. When you select a lower setting or the sensor reads higher than the setpoint, the air release solenoid valve opens and releases some air. This happens in steps so it does not overshoot, with several small releases instaed of one large one.
    I think that what you are saying is that the firmness setting adjusts that ride height, not the firmness. If so, that is not my understanding of what it is intended to do but, it could easily be correct. My wife claims that she can tell the difference in the setting. I cannot.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default air

Quote Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
    My understanding is that the system is more of an automatic height adjustment/leveling system. That is, there is a sensor on the swingarm and the ECU will try and keep the ride height adjusted to keep the bike at the set level. That is where the adjustable shock comes into play.

I do know for it to work your bike needs to be in gear and moving and maybe one other thing.

Carl
    I'm having a problem with the word manual coming on my screen and I have checked the swing arm and everything is ok. I've tried to let it run, parking break off and in gear, push the up button and still get the manual on the screen. Now someone says driving it, so what's up?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gary lester View Post
    I'm having a problem with the word manual coming on my screen and I have checked the swing arm and everything is ok. I've tried to let it run, parking break off and in gear, push the up button and still get the manual on the screen. Now someone says driving it, so what's up?
    I'll check my RT later today and see if I get 'manual' to come up on the screen. Does this happen when you are driving your RT or when it is stationary? I have never seen that come up on my screen, yet.

Carl

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default REAR Shock

I have changed my 2012 RT S Limited on the fly. I had it "Strong" as it would go and I seemed to get a little jumping going around a curve, when I added more power. I moved it from 28 to 26 psi but that didn't help much, but when I soften the shock to about middle way it seem to grip the pavement better. I never have a rider either so don't know what they would feel. I know know it was just dumb luck that I bought my 2012 Rt Limited when I did. I was just looking and they had this 2012 sitting there on consignment with 450 miles on it. They also had a 2012 new RSS. All I had to do after taking a demo ride on the RT with the sales rep and when we got back, I sat on the RSS and said "I'll take the one with the soft seat".

While we were doing the paper work someone was looking at my for the second time with another salesman and they had decided to take it but were 15 min. too late. Dumb luck always is better then caution.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rcturner View Post
    I think that what you are saying is that the firmness setting adjusts that ride height, not the firmness. If so, that is not my understanding of what it is intended to do but, it could easily be correct. My wife claims that she can tell the difference in the setting. I cannot.
    The system does both, as it must. When you increase the firmness, the system responds by increasing the air pressure in the air "spring". However, if you increase the air pressure, you will also slightly raise the ride height if the weight on the bike is constant. So the system BRP uses to handle all this is to accurately measure the ride height and use that data to control the air pressure. If you tell it to decrease the firmness, it will bleed out some air and lower the ride height at the same time. Conversely, if you leave all the settings alone but put an extra hundred pounds in the rear seat, the ride height will obviously drop so the system kicks in, increases air pressure to bring the ride height back up to where it was.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Don't really understand it either but was looking in the manual yesterday to see what the air pressure should be and it listed it anywhere from 20-90 lbs depending on load (your weight plus passenger). Checked mine and it was just below 20 so I put more in to bring it up to 30 since I ride without passenger and weight 180. Haven't had a chance to try it yet but it had seemed a little soft before with setting in the middle.
    As Dave said, it does both. The Spyder gauges off and maintains ride height, but a higher ride height requires a firmer suspension (more air pressure). The firmnes is variable, however when the ride-height is the criterion. The same setting with a passenger or cargo, by necessity, is firmer to maintain that ride height, but will be a little softer with just the rider aboard.

Manually putting air into the RTS or LTD (or releasing some) does nothing. As soon as you start to ride, the pressure will be adjusted to maintain the ride-height ("firmess") setting. If you want it firmer, raise the setting.

Quote Originally Posted by rcturner View Post
    That is correct. Firmness is relative, but is closest to air pressure. The pressure must be increased to increase the ride height, however, so they are closely related.

Quote Originally Posted by gary lester View Post
    Your ride height sensor link could have come disconnected or broken, your air release solenoid could have failed and allowed the suspension to top out (exceed limits), or you could have an instrument cluster that has the ACS high and low limits programmed to the same value from the factory. Look at the ride height sensor on the left side where the link connects it to the sensor and swingarm. If one end is loose or the link is broken, it needs repair. If the suspension will adjust manually when you hit the button a second time after "manual" appears, measure the height of the rear fender above the garage floor at different settings. If it doesn't adjust and you cannot hear the air release solenoid valve hissing (with the Spyder running, in gear, and the parking brake released, have your deale test the solenoid. A misprogrammed cluster needs to have the dealer reset the limits using a gauge block and BUDS. I think there is a service bulletin, but if not have the tech contact BRP dealer tech support. They are very aware of the issue and the fix for it.

Spyder Garage

Default Rear "Air Damper"

Good afternoon All,

I would like to test my rear Air Damper, since it does not seem to maintain pressure.

HOW do I remove the damper.

Regular RT, with no compressor.

Thanks

Dom