Spyder Garage

Default Rear shock PSI ?

Wondering what PSI I should be running the rear shock on my F 3 T with a passenger on . The manual is no help , doesn't even mention the rear shock being air adjustable

Spyder Garage

Default Manual

Quote Originally Posted by spyderpagan View Post
    Wondering what PSI I should be running the rear shock on my F 3 T with a passenger on . The manual is no help , doesn't even mention the rear shock being air adjustable
    2016 manual Roadster Spyder F3 series, page 51. Also, a sticker is located under the passenger seat.

Spyder Garage

The manual will probably have limits, but when setting preload or ride height or static sag (all much the same thing but measured in different places) the easiest way is to measure the height of the rear tail section above the ground.

With the wheel fully extended (as when jacked up just enough to allow the wheel to rotate)
    measurethis distance to the ground. Allow for about 5" of rear wheel travel

Static sag means that when you are on the bike by yourself (after you lower it off the jack) the shock should compress about 30% of its available travel, so that the distance as measured before will now be about 1 5/8" less. Add or remove air to get this setting.

When you add a passenger the distance, with both of you seated, should be the same. You would normally add air to make this happen.
    Last edited by Trevor G; 04-28-2016 at 02:50 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
    The manual will probably have limits, but when setting preload or ride height or static sag (all much the same thing but measured in different places) the easiest way is to measure the height of the rear tail section above the ground.

With the wheel fully extended (as when jacked up just enough to allow the wheel to rotate)
    measurethis distance to the ground. Allow for about 5" of rear wheel travel

Static sag means that when you are on the bike by yourself (after you lower it off the jack) the shock should compress about 30% of its available travel, so that the distance as measured before will now be about 1 5/8" less. Add or remove air to get this setting.

When you add a passenger the distance, with both of you seated, should be the same. You would normally add air to make this happen.
    I have a feeling this was NOT what he was looking to do. The post above with the page number in the manual is what you need.

Spyder Garage

Default oh yes

Quote Originally Posted by Midian View Post
    I have a feeling this was NOT what he was looking to do. The post above with the page number in the manual is what you need.
    Ok Read the manual on page 51 , and the sticker under the seat . Huge difference in ride with air in the shock ! Something I took for granted the dealer would have set up , or at least told me about . Lessen learned . Thanks again for all lovers who dwell herein

Spyder Garage

You are right - most people won't want to do that because it sounds too hard, but that is the correct way to do it and it only takes a couple of minutes.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ok Read the manual on page 51 , and the sticker under the seat . Huge difference in ride with air in the shock ! Something I took for granted the dealer would have set up , or at least told me about . Lessen learned . Thanks again for all lovers who dwell herein
    I hear ya on that! I felt like a real tool after making a point (by mentioning it three times and being told: "Relax, we got it.") to tell the dealer my weight and all so they could set the rear pressure and when I got the bike home it was never touched and at zero psi. I made it a point of mentioning three more times that happy customers really like being *******g listened to!

Just an fyi to anyone wondering about the bike's fitment... I am 6'1" and 190lbs and the rear shock is set at 30psi and the floorboards are at position 4 on my F3 Limited SS and I have never been more comfortable on a motorcycle in my life!

Spyder Garage

Default Agreed

[QUOTE=Midian;1122700]I hear ya on that! I felt like a real tool after making a point (by mentioning it three times and being told: "Relax, we got it.") to tell the dealer my weight and all so they could set the rear pressure and when I got the bike home it was never touched and at zero psi. I made it a point of mentioning three more times that happy customers really like being *******g listened to!

Just an fyi to anyone wondering about the bike's fitment... I am 6'1" and 190lbs and the rear shock is set at 30psi and the floorboards are at position 4 on my F3 Limited SS and I have never been more comfortable on a motorcycle in my life![/QUOTEAfter all this I really have to wonder about some dealers knowledge of what they are selling . Besides the lack of rear shock info from them we were told that there was only a 12 month warranty,by two people, and the first service was due at 600 miles . While this is true on the twin not so on the 1330 which is 3000 miles . It's like they didn't know the difference between motors . Really makes me wonder about actually having them do any work on the bike when needed . Bummer because the only other Spyder dealers are 150 miles away . Otherwise what a Great and fun ride this beast is , named her Lucille ,What a sexi animal

Spyder Garage

Default Another Rear shock question

Just out of curiosity, could you use a standard automotive air shock
    on a F3S? An initial look at the setup makes me think I have the room
    and I have a couple of sets laying around the shop I could work with.

Dray

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=spyderpagan;1122784]
    I hear ya on that! I felt like a real tool after making a point (by mentioning it three times and being told: "Relax, we got it.") to tell the dealer my weight and all so they could set the rear pressure and when I got the bike home it was never touched and at zero psi. I made it a point of mentioning three more times that happy customers really like being *******g listened to!

Just an fyi to anyone wondering about the bike's fitment... I am 6'1" and 190lbs and the rear shock is set at 30psi and the floorboards are at position 4 on my F3 Limited SS and I have never been more comfortable on a motorcycle in my life![/QUOTEAfter all this I really have to wonder about some dealers knowledge of what they are selling . Besides the lack of rear shock info from them we were told that there was only a 12 month warranty,by two people, and the first service was due at 600 miles . While this is true on the twin not so on the 1330 which is 3000 miles . It's like they didn't know the difference between motors . Really makes me wonder about actually having them do any work on the bike when needed . Bummer because the only other Spyder dealers are 150 miles away . Otherwise what a Great and fun ride this beast is , named her Lucille ,What a sexi animal
    I thought the same thing about my dealer! It got to the point that when they brought the bike around and they give you the "walk around" of the bike, I told the guy that I got it and he didn't have to finish. Being completely uneducated about a product you're selling is inexcusable. My buddy and I are thinking we are going to be doing all the work, hopefully what little is needed, ourselves. I have seen too many dealers over the years really not care that much. Virtually no one is going to care about your bike like you do.

Good luck with Lucille! I wish you many happy and safe miles together!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Midian;1123046]

I thought the same thing about my dealer! It got to the point that when they brought the bike around and they give you the "walk around" of the bike, I told the guy that I got it and he didn't have to finish. Being completely uneducated about a product you're selling is inexcusable. My buddy and I are thinking we are going to be doing all the work, hopefully what little is needed, ourselves. I have seen too many dealers over the years really not care that much. Virtually no one is going to care about your bike like you do.

Good luck with Lucille! I wish you many happy and safe miles together!
    Thanks and many safe and smiles for you as well

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dray View Post
    Just out of curiosity, could you use a standard automotive air shock
    on a F3S? An initial look at the setup makes me think I have the room
    and I have a couple of sets laying around the shop I could work with.

Dray

Why would you do that?

It may fit, but the valving inside would be all wrong for the application, unless of course, you plan on revalving the internals, which would then make it a very interesting project.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6