Thread: Dipstick remake

Spyder Garage

Default Dipstick remake

After several frustrating experiences with the stock dipstick while checking oil level, I had to try making one for only checking oil level. Pictures below show: find an old screwdriver....big washer with hole just big enough to slide over shank of sawn-off screwdriver... file down end & mark "full" mark... JB Weld washer to handle,,,paint with matt finish enamel, and vwalah!!! Will test soon, but should relieve much frustration.

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Looks like a simple, effective solution to a vexing problem. I have read numerous posts about stripping threads on the plastic dipstick. Let us know how this works out for you.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not sure I understand the need for this.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Nicely done..!!

looks great though I find it even hard to see oil levels on white unless your oil is really dirty. What would be nice would be a float system where as you push the stick down the float would move up...like the old fuel guages or dry tips that would change colors at the level mark...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DIPSTICK

I made this a few years ago for the same reasons.....the plastic threads can strip easily.......But mine was different than yours in that I used a 5/8 wood dowel for the upper part with 1/4 " wood rod in the center.......The 5/8 piece keeps it at the correct angle as the OEM dipstick, because it barely fits in the threads.....I gave a bunch of them away maybe someone who has one will take a PIC......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default TESTED...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Prof View Post
    After several frustrating experiences with the stock dipstick while checking oil level, I had to try making one for only checking oil level. Pictures below show: find an old screwdriver....big washer with hole just big enough to slide over shank of sawn-off screwdriver... file down end & mark "full" mark... JB Weld washer to handle,,,paint with matt finish enamel, and vwalah!!! Will test soon, but should relieve much frustration.

WORKED GREAT!!!

Spyder Garage

A good idea and thanks for posting your solution. Stripping the threads is a big possibility for those who are meticulous about checking the oil frequently.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default How much oil do you burn after 1000-2000--3000-4000-5000 miles

I'm sure it depends upon engine mileage so give me some feed back 5,000-20,000 miles? I'm not a long haul rider.
    & at what bike mileage does this become a concern to monitor closely? I guess F3's 1330 engine may not have significant data.---Just checking.
    Darrell
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice, does it keep the oil leaking out?

Spyder Garage

Default WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Nice, does it keep the oil leaking out?
    ....This is only for checking " HOW MUCH OIL IS IN THE TANK " so you don't have to keep re-threading the OEM dip-stick, which can lead to a mis-thread situation.......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default This device

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    I'm sure it depends upon engine mileage so give me some feed back 5,000-20,000 miles? I'm not a long haul rider.
    & at what bike mileage does this become a concern to monitor closely? I guess F3's 1330 engine may not have significant data.---Just checking.
    Darrell
    .....Is for the V-Twin, which uses oil ----- un-like the 1330 engine.....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-31-2020 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Default Dip stick

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....Is for the V-Twin, which uses oil ----- un-like the 1330 engine.....Mike
    It would so much easier if you got the oil exactly where you wanted it; then put the dipstick in without screwing it in; then mark the spot with white nail polish.... now you need not keep screwing it in and out.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-31-2020 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just need to be in the middle of cross hatch section when not threaded. I am a spyder mechanic, and never bother screwing in the dipstick to adjust level. Secret is to thread with zero force until it threads right.

Stephskidoo et AD HOC MARINE sports motorisés 514 313-1509

Spyder Garage

This is what BLUEKNIGHT911 made & kindly gave me.

I love it. Keep it in my frunk.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc