Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two up Finally

Spyder Garage

Default two up Finally

Had a chance to ride with the wife today and I must say that it was not good. the suspension is crap way to soft. when roads bank to the left the RT felt like it wanted to go straight. had to hit the brakes a few times. guys I need help fast or ill sell this thing. I am going to recheck the tires pressure but I don't know what else to look for....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I noticed very little difference riding two up as one.
    In fact, almost none.
    I believe you have an RT-S so you should have a suspension control.
    Where was it set?
    Tire Pressure?

Spyder Garage

Default two up not too good!

Quote Originally Posted by MOSESS View Post
    Had a chance to ride with the wife today and I must say that it was not good. the suspension is crap way to soft. when roads bank to the left the RT felt like it wanted to go straight. had to hit the brakes a few times. guys I need help fast or ill sell this thing. I am going to recheck the tires pressure but I don't know what else to look for....
    I hear your pain. It's taken both Spyder modifications and riding technique modifications to make it to where my good time gal is almost
    ashappy riding pillion as she was on two wheels.Some of the Spyder mods have been BajaRon's swaybar and some modified Polaris spring rubbers.
    Those came after getting the *$^#*$&$*# thing laser aligned -- something which should NOT have been necessary on a brand new machine!
    Some of the riding technique modifications have been working on achieving a smoother line through the curve, and simply reducing turn entry speed a bit until my abilities adjusted to having two wheels up front instead of just the one. I had read all the stuff about how the folk who have the most difficulty adapting to a CanAM are seasoned 2-wheel riders, and of course I said, "Naaaah; not me!"

Some haven't had a problem, but for me, it was a bit of a struggle.

Better now, after 5000 miles.

Pete
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Spyder Garage

Not to be tacky but .............................. how much combined weight are we talking about?

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderCodes View Post
    I noticed very little difference riding two up as one.
    In fact, almost none.
    I believe you have an RT-S so you should have a suspension control.
    Where was it set?
    Tire Pressure?
    I agree, I feel no. Difference riding two up and my wife feels very comfortable on the back.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Not to be tacky but .............................. how much combined weight are we talking about?

Cruzr Joe
    A legitimate question considering that we only have the information about performance in the original post. You can't get to the root of a problem without all the facts.

Spyder Garage

You needs the Ron Bar. (sway bar)

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Well....

The BajaRon bar will be a big help. The one that comes with the new models is better but still for the middle of the road ryder. like with anything you get you can get better. If you have adjustments and have experienced what you said I would start from the highest setting and work down. If you have no adjustments get the shock adjusters and go from there. We have all started out the same way and have modified our rydes to suit our style of ryding. You can not expect a manufacturer to make a unit that fits all needs and wants.....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you are both big people you will notice a difference riding two up. When my husband rides on mine with me I could tell the difference but I installed Baja Ron's Shock Adjusters and that solved the issue (combined with the BajaRon Anti Sway Bar, of course)

Bump the rear shock up to the hardest position and be sure to properly inflate your tires, if that doesn't work then get the sway bar and shock adjusters or lose some weight.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Poor handling.

I am 245 combined we are 400 . new bike, tire pressure was perfect. suspension was set on the top bar on the screen. yes I am a long time two wheeler 35 years. i must say this was my first ride out but i know enough about cars and bikes to know bad handling issues . the frame felt as if it was twisting, the right front shock seemed not to hold up in left turn ins when your holding a line . the left shock felt fine . on the highway it was okay but get into some corners and you have a handful. so i am reading here a sway bar with links either shocks or adjusters. Do any one make a upgraded rear shock and or spring that would work with the stock controls . yes i need more time in the saddle along with getting all the right info. i really want this to work out so. thanks guys
    Last edited by MOSESS; 04-16-2016 at 10:56 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

For me, the key was time in the saddle. I'm a long-time two wheeler (50+ years) and when I first rode the Spyder I was horrified. I thought it was the most unstable, unsafe vehicle I'd ever been on or in. My first time on the highway was truly frightening. After some time, I discovered that a big part of it was training my neurology to understand that things that would be disastrous on two wheels are fine on a Spyder. For example, when a straight road suddenly banks to the right, you don't notice it on a two wheeler because it stays totally vertical. But on a Spyder, that sudden lean to the right while you are going straight sends a message to your brain that your bike is falling over. So you react (usually over-react because in reality, no reaction was needed) and that wears you out physically and emotionally - until you get used to it. You've learned to automatically make hundreds of micro-compensations to road conditions that are perfect for a motorcycle, but generally lead to over-controlling the Spyder and that makes it feel unstable. The way I describe it: The Spyder likes to dance in ways that we aren't used to. Once we learn the dance moves and flow with the music, it's a beautiful thing.

I began to get more comfortable after around 500 miles, but still had some challenges. I didn't take my wife for a ride until after that 500 mile mark. I was much more tense with her behind me and that increased the over-controlling behavior. It got better, then we put about 1,000 miles together on our trip to Spyderfest and back last year. That got me to almost feeling normal on the Spyder, but it has continued to improve. I'm now at a little over 6,000 miles and I absolutely love it. I hope it works out well for you.

Spyder Garage

Default P os haddling

Good morning guys. I am up rechecking the tires pressure again. and will be giving the company that sells the sway bar a call. it does not pull either side it tracks straight . I only have about 400 miles on it at this time. ill try to hit some more road up around greenwood lake when I am alone to see how it handles. thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I are relative lightweights by comparison adding up to only about 300 lbs. I do/did notice her weight when added to mine. As others have said, the BajaRon sway bar made a big difference and having the front tires near the top end of the pressure range helped. I didn't need to go the shock route but would if needed. I think the biggest factor is saddle time. It will get better with more experience. Just factor that in and it will come to you. Hang in there.

Gary

Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

Default Bad Ride

I find that if tire pressure is much over 21-22 in the fronts it rides poorly and that is with the Anti-Sway bar. If I lower the pressure closure to 18 it seems to ride much better.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Sharing my experience in hope it will help...

Good morning guys. I am up rechecking the tires pressure again. and will be giving the company that sells the sway bar a call. it does not pull either side it tracks straight . I only have about 400 miles on it at this time. ill try to hit some more road up around greenwood lake when I am alone to see how it handles. thanks.
    1000 miles and then assess your response. I purchased my 2010 RT .. personally I had no experience ryding 2 wheel. But friend says hey I'll ryde your new Spyder out from IL (where I bought over internet and phone)...so I flew him there. He had ridden 2 wheel for 50+ years. First night after about 300 miles he could hardly drag his body into motel he hurt so bad..called his wife and said OMG murphy just wasted a bunch of money this thing is a POS...
    Next day he runs into a Spyder Ryder...who came over all excited to see the new model RT cruiser..Ed shared what he thought of the POS ryde...the guy asked wow what does it do...thinking something mechanical...after Ed shared..guy started laughing and said bet you are an experienced 2 wheel rider...then added to ride the Spyder you need to be teachable and change your ways of riding...gave him pointers...Ed listened..end of story by the time he got to my place he was totally in luv with the ryde...

Here is hoping you are open to learning new ways...also strongly consider the BajaRon sway bar with helm links. I am a fairly aggressive ryder (110k+ miles onspyder) and also added Elka front shocks and absolutely the Rolo Laser Alignment..done by a skilled tech..my choice is Squared Away...

You are on the best forum to get help for you and your lady love to luv your ryde..keep us posted. We are rooting for you..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just by not riding much through the winter, it has taken a few miles to re-learn how to ride. 2 wheel experience not an issue, but I'd agree with all others, it's just a curve, aside from proper alignment, Baja Bar, better shocks, you will get there, just keep it under 100 until you are.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

These do NOT ride, handle, corner, stop, go, or in any way: FEEL like two-wheeled motorcycles. Before giving it ap, (And taking a HUGE financial hit...); put in some miles and time on it. You'll adapt to the differences.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default POS handling

good morning guys I did some digging and found that the right front tire had a slow leak around the rim. it was down to 10PSI the rest where down 5psi from where I set them . removed all the tires from rims and so far so good. I am not going to sell it it just bothered me to no end that you go out and buy some thing as nice as these and there is so much that the manufacture could have done to make this a better machine with minimal cost. I am a bit aggressive as a rider and its been a leaning curve on this unbike like machine. A question was asked where did I have the suspension set at it was on hard ride .
    Last edited by MOSESS; 04-18-2016 at 08:03 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post

I may have missed if you had it aligned or not. If the bike turns in ok but then tries to tuck, you need some toe in. Ours was horrible when new. We put some miles on it and finally I just decided to crank in some toe in. It took a few small adjustments to dial in the cornering feel but it eliminated the tucking and the machine is now stable at all speeds.
    I did the same with the toe in on my 14 RTL. Also have the Baja bar and shock adjusters. Totally different animal now.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WEAK FRONT SHOCKS

good morning guys I did some digging and found that the right front tire had a slow leak around the rim. it was down to 10PSI the rest where down 5psi from where I set them . removed all the tires from rims and so far so good. I am not going to sell it it just bothered me to no end that you go out and buy some thing as nice as these and there is so much that the manufacture could have done to make this a better machine with minimal cost. I am a bit aggressive as a rider and its been a leaning curve on this unbike like machine. A question was asked where did I have the suspension set at it was on hard ride .
    .......So I designed some brackets that changed the Angle ( increased 16 degree's ) of the front shocks. This FIRMED them up approx. 18 %....but did not make the ride HARSH.......The spring distance is the same .....This MOD is not for the feint hearted......originally I was going to get the better Sway Bar but now I'm satisfied where it's at........Mike

Spyder Garage

It sounds like you may have more of an issue with how well the Spyder was put together by your dealer than how well it was designed. That said, BajaRon's anti sway bar will greatly improve your ride, and upgraded shocks will help as well (I use RaceTech, which run about the same cost as the more popular Elkas).

Enjoy the Spyder, but keep in mind three wheels are very different than two in many ways.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Default You need stiffer front shock springs, or Elka front shocks with stiffer 450# springs

I am 245 combined we are 400 . new bike, tire pressure was perfect. suspension was set on the top bar on the screen. yes I am a long time two wheeler 35 years. i must say this was my first ride out but i know enough about cars and bikes to know bad handling issues . the frame felt as if it was twisting, the right front shock seemed not to hold up in left turn ins when your holding a line . the left shock felt fine . on the highway it was okay but get into some corners and you have a handful. so i am reading here a sway bar with links either shocks or adjusters. Do any one make a upgraded rear shock and or spring that would work with the stock controls . yes i need more time in the saddle along with getting all the right info. i really want this to work out so. thanks guys
    A lot of good advice already given you here.
    I would suggest stiffer front springs on shocks. You are correct the soft spring front shocks will not work for you on RT!!
    If you know a local motorcycle shop, they could take correct spring measurements & order you 450# front shock springs to fit on stock front RT shocks.
    Better way is to order a set of Elka front shocks with 450# springs (400# is Elka stock 2014-2016 RT springs).
    I firmed up my 2014 RT with Elka front shocks, (when I had it before trading on new F3 Spyder firmer handling).
    I did not need the Baja Ron stiffer front swaybar when I installed stiffer springs/dampening front Elka RT shocks (stage 5 if you can afford them for their adjustable dampening).
    Call Len at Pitbull Powersports, he will set you up with correct Elka stiffer spring front RT shocks.
    Len Pitbull 417-863-1418 Springfield, Mo.
    (tell him Jim K Tucson, Az recommended his advice on your Elka RT front shocks).
    He set up my 2012/2013 /2014 Elka stage 5 front shocks spot on for firm handling high speed cornering)!!
    He probably has Elka RT stage 2 stiffer spring front shocks in stock because of Spyderfest demand next week.
    You will really enjoy your 2015 RT then!!
    Pm me if you have anymore questions.
    Jim
    Last edited by spyderyderjim; 04-18-2016 at 10:24 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default POS handling

Jim Thanks .ill call Len today. No I have not had a chance to get it aligned .not that many shops in north jersey that offer that service .Ill get that done as well..
    Last edited by MOSESS; 04-18-2016 at 11:33 AM.

Spyder Garage

For S&G's you may want to lift the seat and take a psi measurement at the Schrader valve back there for the rear. I know on mine I had issues with air control and the pressure was way too low and I was having handling issues, VSS coming on, etc. There is a chart under the seat that shows a recommended psi rating for weight single and 2-up. You may want to just make sure you are in the right range and not low. Once I manually filled it (going in shop soon to replace blown compressor) it's handled likely a completely different machine.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You need to get the hang of the bike on your own before riding two up. When you get to a corner lean your body into it. Once you get this technique you will be flying through the corners. Two thumbs way up on the sway bar and laser alignment.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White