Spyder Garage

Default Tilting Reverse Trike

Rumor has it that Yamaha will begin production of a tilting reverse trike next year. Here is the link: http://rideapart.com/articles/three-...ded-production

Spyder Garage

Good rumor. Still looking for the honda neowing to hit states . So far it's only was seen at the bike show in japan.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The look of that Yamaha makes it seem like, at any moment, machine guns are going to pop out of the front end and start firing away.

Spyder Garage

The Yamaha looks like an adventure bike for those who are prone to falling over when riding in the dirt.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This all dates back to their Tesseract...

This is from 2007-2008 era. They were investigating the possibility of a leaning ATV.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sorry....

But that looks like it is set for failure from the start. who are they targeting with that..? I see the scooter to a point but a ffull sport bikesaddled with that much limitations...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This bike is better suited for the European market, where Piaggio is already popular.

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 3 wheels

Not my taste bud. I do like the slogan "ride apart". makes me think of Spyder riders, we already ride apart from any other open air riding machine out there.
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    The Yamaha looks like an adventure bike for those who are prone to falling over when riding in the dirt.
    The Yamaha is closely based on the FZ-09 and FJ-09 which means it is a high performance machine and it is pavement only. I have an FJ-09 so I know a bit about it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    But that looks like it is set for failure from the start. who are they targeting with that..? I see the scooter to a point but a ffull sport bikesaddled with that much limitations...
    I see a very big market for it. Supposedly it handles as good as a sportbike and is as fast which means all of the performance and none of the limitations. It is being promoted as an MT which means initially it most probably will be offered in Europe only.

Spyder Garage

Default who?

I've read a number of reports on handling improvements on irregular or slick surfaces the smaller leaning reverse trikes (Yamaha's Tri-City, Piaggi's MP3..) offer, while at the same time providing a seamless motorcycle-like ride on both urban and higher speed roads.

Now that a larger displacement choice is perhaps soon available from manufacturers who can be trusted to bring a reliable product to market (Honda and Yamaha), riders desiring the capabilities of a full-size bike may be rejoicing.

Greater stability and better braking while still being able to enjoy leaning into the curves; what's not to like about that?

The design doesn't totally eliminate the risk of a slow-speed (or stopped) plop-over, so I'm going to stick with my decision to move to a CanAm, and not chance irreparable damage to my bionic hind leg (two different titanium joints, knee and ankle), but I sure love seeing the new concept coming to market.

The current issue of Motorcyclist magazine has an article by James Parker on a new kit for converting Gold Wings or Harley big twins to a leaning reverse trike, so I gotta think there's an unserved market for such out there.

Pete
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Spyder Garage

This is another upcoming trike...

2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Post Spyder's biggest flaw?

Yep. Bring on the leaning trikes, I would like options when I buy one. Who could honestly say they would not prefer the HIGHER level of safety and capability of a leaner? You are literally looking at 50-60% more cornering ability. Use it or not, it greatly increases the capabilities. A leaning trike should track straighter, wander less, and be more ergonomic and natural in all circumstances except at a dead stop. The tire and body profile will fix the second biggest complaint, MILEAGE! 20-30% improvement over the Spyder should be expected. And don't even start talking about the nanny, as it will be banished to full speed riding or accident prevention, not design mitigation, which is the function it currently serves in the Spyder.

I really enjoy my Spyder, and hope to put another 13000 or so miles on it this summer again.....but

Simply put, all else being equal (well similar) anything that leans into a corner is better than something that leans out. Which way do you lean when cornering? Opposite what the Spyder does. Nuff said.