Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Passenger Grab rails question

So someone else posted this idea that possibly everything needed for the heated passenger grab rails is already on the base model RT just like the wires are already present in the base for the gauges that come with the S. So i have two questions, one is anyone know if this is true? 2nd is i am trying to locate the part #s on cheapcycle parts to see if the base and S have the same passenger rail part # but cant find which section the grab rails are in. I bet someone on here knows the answer to both

Thanks as always!

This is even more prevalent in the RT......It is way less expensive for the manufactorer to say run the EXACT same wiring harness including all the connectors ....than it is put in separate & different harnesses........Take the HEATED PASS. GRIPS on the RT ....I think if I just buy the SWITCH and connect it ......the heat elements are already in the grips .......I could be wrong..... ...but maybe not ..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Here's what I found...

For whatever logic the grab bar (handle) is in the luggages section and they are different. The RT part # is different and the RT-S and RT-ltd are the same. As to the harness I am not sure. When we made harnesses it was cheaper to make a full harness and use only the connections for each model than it was to make a harness for each model. I would imagine it is there and you just need the proper wire to hook up...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    For whatever logic the grab bar (handle) is in the luggages section and they are different. The RT part # is different and the RT-S and RT-ltd are the same. As to the harness I am not sure. When we made harnesses it was cheaper to make a full harness and use only the connections for each model than it was to make a harness for each model. I would imagine it is there and you just need the proper wire to hook up...
    The harness connectors are there for the heated grips. It looks like they just plug right into the grip. There is no wire with connector shown coming off the grip, and the connector illustration shows it to be a rectangular male with probably female terminals, i.e., a typical plugin connector.

The grips are definitely different between the RT and the others. $79.99 for the RT, $104.99 for the Ltd.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 04-11-2016 at 10:23 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They are different from the others but the RT-S and the RT-LTD are the same. So if the S and LTD come with heated grab bars this is what you will need to get. ..then plug them up.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You do need the grips: they've got the heating elements and wiring that'll plug into the existing connections on the bike.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Thank you all, im quite certain the last place i would have checked was the luggage section

So in looking at the diagram its weird, i selected the RTS SM6 and it shows 2 parts# one says RT standard and that part # says passenger assembly heated. The other parts say S, Limited, SPE and it is says those parts are not available for this model, strange.

Basically though it should cost about 210 to put heated grips on a base model. Wonder how hard they are to get to.

Thanks again everyone.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by latony007 View Post
    Thank you all, im quite certain the last place i would have checked was the luggage section

So in looking at the diagram its weird, i selected the RTS SM6 and it shows 2 parts# one says RT standard and that part # says passenger assembly heated. The other parts say S, Limited, SPE and it is says those parts are not available for this model, strange.

Basically though it should cost about 210 to put heated grips on a base model. Wonder how hard they are to get to.

Thanks again everyone.
    I don't know why the RTS parts page says not available. I can see why the RT page does. The std is the base RT. Go to the parts page for the Ltd. You can find the part numbers there. Make sure the control switch is part of the handle. I'm sure it is, but double check.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)