Thread: 2014 RSS

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RSS

My dealer near me had a yellow 2014 RSS still in the shipping crate. I'm gonna be picking it up next weekend. But my question is do they offer a back rest? Do I need the backrest and the sports rack or can I just get the backrest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeman220940 View Post
    My dealer near me had a yellow 2014 RSS still in the shipping crate. I'm gonna be picking it up next weekend. But my question is do they offer a back rest? Do I need the backrest and the sports rack or can I just get the backrest?

I believe it is the same as the 2010 and if so you get the back rest and sport rack together. You don't have to use the back rest and there is a plate to cover the sport rack when the back rest is off.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep, you basically have 2 OEM choices now. You can buy the OEM sport rack and proper removable backrest (first generation setup), or there is an OEM backrest you don't need the sport rack for (second generation setup). The components are not interchangeable though, so you have to pick one or the other. The sport rack gives you options for a top box too.
    Oh, a few aftermarket choices as well.
    I think I spent $600-$700 for my sport rack/backrest combo back in 12' and would spend it again. Its a really nice and versatile setup!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BACKREST

.......you do realize they are talking about a PASSENGER backrest......There is no OEM backrest for the Driver.....but some good aftermarket options...........Even one that is convertible, can be Driver or Passenger..............Mike .....................Al says it's made by Smooth Spyder
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 01-30-2016 at 07:10 PM.

Spyder Garage

​Look at the Smooth Spyder adjustable back rest before you purchase the OEM, for the money a much better choice. Smooth spyder is a site sponsor and a pleasure to do business with.

By the way Welcome to spyder lovers
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

this one is a great deal and good quality. Would have gotten it had it been available when I was looking...
    Last edited by Chupaca; 01-30-2016 at 08:41 PM.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your replying. The smooth spider does look promising. Would this void any of the brp warranties? This would give me the best of both worlds. How comfortable is the smooth spider? For those who have it?

Spyder Garage

There are now two different style OEM passenger backrests for the RS, RSS, and ST. The older version is a piece that mounts on the back, replacing the tail cap, and you can either have a luggage/sport rack on it OR you can put a backrest on it, but it's one or the other. You can't have both without some type of modification. The sport rack gives you a flat surface to mount touring packs/top boxes onto. Many people aren't fond of the looks of this version: (these images taken from google)

The new style is more sleek looking, but removes the option for a sport rack... Though they do now sell a touring pack/top box, that is Cam Am branded, that mounts directly to the new backrest. I have pics of the new backrest with and without the case in this thread: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...RS-Accessories

Being a 2014, I'm not sure if the older style will fit as they are sold for 2013 and prior, while the new style is sold for 2014+. They both require the tail cap to be removed and a metal piece inserted into the frame and bolted into place. Those pieces have a different shape on the accessory end, but not sure on the frame side. I don't know of anyone, off hand, with a 2014+ model that has attempted to install the older style backrest on their newer spyder.

There are also aftermarket options, such as SmoothSpyder, which seems to get great reviews... Especially if you're looking for a driver backrest. However they are a permanent mount and are not quickly detachable as the OEM versions are.

Hope this helps.

Cy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TechnoTherapist; 01-31-2016 at 12:55 AM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NO

Thank you for your replying. The smooth spider does look promising. Would this void any of the brp warranties? This would give me the best of both worlds. How comfortable is the smooth spider? For those who have it?

....BRP would like you to believe everything without a BRP logo on it voids the warranty, but legally this just isn't so......................The Moss-Magnusson Act prevents this sort of BS from manufacturers......................Mike

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RSS

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    ​Look at the Smooth Spyder adjustable back rest before you purchase the OEM, for the money a much better choice. Smooth spyder is a site sponsor and a pleasure to do business with.

By the way Welcome to spyder lovers
    By all means & can adjust from driver to passenger with no tools. Very handy. Very comfortable ,great for long rides & holds my flag too ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454230323.324337.jpgFyi the sports rack is dated to fit up to the 13s but dont think will fit 14. ST anyway. Not sure on RS. Would be good to double ck. There was thread of someone testing that a few months back

Last edited by Bfromla; 01-31-2016 at 03:53 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

SmoothSpyder Backrest - I've had one on my RS for at least a couple of years now.

• My daughter likes it when she's on the back
    • I've found using it as a driver backrest good on long journeys (I do Iron Butt style runs). I have standard RS bars with no risers so lean back against it to take the pressure off my arms on the straights.
    • I'm an all year/weather rider and still looks in good condition after 2+ years.
    • I personally prefer the look of it to the stock back rest.
    • It was A LOT cheaper than the stock backrests in NZ, about a 3rd of the price. I'm assuming in the US the pricing is closer.

(For those who sensing Deja-Vu yes I've copy/pasted that from a previous post I made in another Smooth Spyder thread:-))

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=wolfeman220940;1086399]Thank you for your replying. The smooth spider does look promising. Would this void any of the brp warranties? This would give me the best of both worlds. How comfortable is the smooth spider? For those who have it?

Wolfeman; Put it on my spyder shortly after purchasing and 17,000 miles later never sorry that I purchased it. Provides a place to strap down my dri-sacks, is infinitely adjustable and compared to OEM a great price. Jim is great to deal with, and makes other products that you may be interested in also.

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You just have to figure out what you want out of a backrest, the potential to add to it, and if you want the ability to remove when not in use.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Exclamation Both OEM backrests have the Top Box option

Both OEM backrests have the Top Box option, and they both of them are primo quality items that justify the cost, and preserve the lines and look of the bike. No offense to the fans of other backrests, but most of them look like cheapness. I'd rather regret paying too much once, than 2 little every day there-after.
    On the newer OEM on, the backrest and top box go on and off in a couple minutes each.

Spyder Garage

I have another question where is a good place to mount the shark audio I just bought. 4 speakers? Thank you.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Can I ask how much you paid? I have a deposit on a brand new (6 miles) 2014 RSS and think I am getting a good deal, but wanted to compare. I'm getting it for $10,750 OTD...

Spyder Garage

tcbracing

Can I ask how much you paid? I have a deposit on a brand new (6 miles)

2014 RSS and think I am getting a good deal, but wanted to compare. I'm

getting it for $10,750 OTD...

That is an outstanding price; picked my RS-SM up last Feb. for ~ $13800 OTD

2018 F3-T

2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have another question where is a good place to mount the shark audio I just bought. 4 speakers? Thank you.

Wolfeman, I think we have had some contact See my post Shark audio... jtpollock
    Last edited by jtpollock; 03-10-2016 at 07:52 AM.