Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default PERFORMANCE tire thread

OK I've scanned through most of the other threads on tires and it seems everyone is looking for long wearing high mileage tires. Hard compounds, ride comfort and load carrying etc.. I get it, but not for this RS owner.

What about the other side, those of us looking for something that handles the corners, acceptable in rain and improves performance.

Are there tires that help handling without invoking the nanny? I'm willing to sacrifice wear for a grippy ride since I'm not touring a lot on our Spyder.

Background: I ride a sportbike and like sticky tires.

The stock Kendas seem a bit weak and flexy in comparison. I run 18/28psi fyi. I suspect more input and interest from RS/RSS owners than ST/RT owners
    Last edited by asp125; 02-06-2016 at 10:15 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Toyo Proxes RA1 for the rear is what I plan on running when I do a tire next season. Super grippy track tire. Does pretty decent in the rain as long as the water isn't to deep. No clue on "miles".

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...

When and if you find them, as an RS Ryder you will let me know. Till then I have found the kendas to work well. The softer compound kendas that would have worked even better they quit making going back to the original compound.. There are some others coming out but have little history.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    OK I've scanned through most of the other threads on tires and it seems everyone is looking for long wearing high mileage tires. Hard compounds, ride comfort and load carrying etc.. I get it, but not for this RS owner.

What about the other side, those of us looking for something that handles the corners, acceptable in rain and improves performance.

Are there tires that help handling without invoking the nanny? I'm willing to sacrifice wear for a grippy ride since I'm not touring a lot on our Spyder.

The stock Kendas seem a bit weak and flexy in comparison. I run 18/28psi fyi. I suspect more input and interest from RS/RSS owners than ST/RT owners
    As politicians say "I refer the honorable gentleman to the reply I gave earlier" :-) (see Replacement tires for 2012 rs")

In my case I have an RS 2011

I've kept Kenda's on the front as they seem to do the job but on the rear I've gone to a Toyo Proxes T1R. Huge improvement to grip at the rear and has totally removed the loss of traction (followed by nanny kicking in) that the Kenda used to suffer from on cold roads etc. Has made a significant difference on tight bends. The rain performance is better as well despite being a high performance tire. It does wear better but that wasn't really the main consideration.

When I went to the tire shop the guy had done a number of Spyders and had a very low opinion of Kenda's. He had three alternatives he used for Spyders and asked me a number of questions about riding style etc before recommending the Toyo in this instance.

One thing to note - I suspect the rear tire for RT's and RS's may be slightly different. Both the Kenda's and Toyo have been 225 50R15 on my RS but a RT owner contacted me and mentioned they had 225 55R15.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PERFORMANCE

......I agree with Drew on the Brand......on the front I have Toyo Proxes T1r 185/55-15 I did have to shim the brackets ...but they stick like glue ....wet - dry - whatever............Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have to say, I'm liking the tread pattern on the Proxes R888
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default R888

I have to say, I'm liking the tread pattern on the Proxes R888
    .....I think I would park the Spyder if it started to rain .......Looks don't tell you anything....JMHO......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Steering Effort

Hey Mike
    How do you find the steering effort with the 185 width tyre

Cheers

Auldy

Spyder Garage

I use Yokohama S. Drive rear 205-55-15 tire for really good grip in corners (twice speed of corner posted yellow signs), handles rain, smooth ride.
    About 9,000 miles wear, but I buy S. Drive tires for the high performance grip & smooth ride on my 2015 F3S Spyder!
    Jim

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

you can fit up to a 60 sieres Tire under the back fender; IT'S tight bu will actually put your speedometer spot on for actual speed traveled. As Blue knight 911 implyed you need to go online and compare all the various attributes of the tires you're considering. The added benefit will be improved milage irregardless of what ever tire you select; difficult to get too much more than~8000 miles out of the OEM tire.

All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't let Jack hear you discussing tires again; he's already had a bad weekend...
    (I've got nothing to add about tire brands... )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Don't let Jack hear you discussing tires again; he's already had a bad weekend...
    (I've got nothing to add about tire brands... )

Tires? GRRRRRRRRRR!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default STEERING

Quote Originally Posted by auldy View Post
    Hey Mike
    How do you find the steering effort with the 185 width tyre

Cheers

Auldy
    ...If there is any difference, it would require some type of device to measure it. I can't say I ever noticed a difference....Maybe making a tight " U " turn from stopped........but how often does that occur and for how long ........I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOve the tire. Extremely grippy and as people who have ridden with might tell you....I can and do ride at the limits.......Ask Al, ( Igetaround ) He followed me up the Mt. Washington Auto road.....I actually hit 50 mph near the top ..............................Mike

Spyder Garage

I can attest that Mike gathers no moss!!!!
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    I can attest that Mike gathers no moss!!!!
    and I 2nd that. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A car tire even a long wearing one will be an instant improvement over the stock tires better steering ride and general responsiveness ,I have a hard time believing that not counting water/ice ,dirt/sand or dip in the road that anyone can push the front tires to lose traction even long wearing ones the rear is a different story at least on the lighter RS the rear is lite due to the long wheel base and can easily be overpowered in fact the rear is so easy to spin that a spyder will hardly back up an incline with much grade

Spyder Garage

Default MOSS GATHERING

....Al, you have no " MOSS " under your fingernails either ......I would ride with you anytime Bro..............Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A stray thought popped into my head...
    Are the Federal EVOs getting decent results as a sticky front tire?

Spyder Garage

Default EVO's

......Well, it's been reported that the world of " DRIFTING " they are the PREFERRED tires.......So my guess is NO.....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ask Biker Doc about his experience with them...

After all; they make more than just one model of tire...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-07-2016 at 01:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ......Well, it's been reported that the world of " DRIFTING " they are the PREFERRED tires.......So my guess is NO.....Mike
    I can say Federals are considerably better traction and smoother riding than the Kendas. I would still prefer a mainstream Tier one tire for the front.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like the Federal Evos so far. I did have an instance last summer with them and I actually slid the front tires passing a car up hill on a really hard corner. It was really fresh asphalt, I would say it was put down a day or so before I was on it. It was also really hot sunny day. So I am blaming the heat for bringing the Grease (as they would say in NASCAR) to the surface from the fresh tar. It did scare the out of me. I have pushed the tires just as hard or harder on other roads with out an issue.