GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks....

Good read but like all it depends on where they are and who they ask.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Did you notice the next CR ratings for motorcycles won't be published until the spring of 2017? With the advent of the 1330 I think Spyder ratings will improve.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like mine...
    That's all that matters to me!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Did you notice the next CR ratings for motorcycles won't be published until the spring of 2017? With the advent of the 1330 I think Spyder ratings will improve.
    The range of model years is unfortunate. The '13 RT stats probably skewed the results.

Spyder Garage

Not enough data to compare brand (2007 to current) with information gleaned from all the other manufacturers that date back to the 1960's.

CanAm did get a bad rap statistically. 42% needed repairs--the worst of the lot.

My experience with eight years of ownership and five separate yearly models (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2014) have all been good. Mostly just very expensive required maintenance. My experience also covers two engine types, and one manual transmission with the others being SE versions.

I also think the 2013 had a bit to do with the skewed stats.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-04-2016 at 03:12 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default I concur with report

I have owned 3 Yamaha's and 2 Spyders and I agree with the CR report. I loved both Spyders but I was never comfortable miles from home. I never trusted either. With the Yamaha's however I never worried. I currently ride a 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and I never give breakdowns a thought no matter where I am. Just as the report states Yamaha's are as bulletproof as any machine can be. Oh...and btw it's also an extremely fun bike - a hooligan if you will.

Spyder Garage

Just some perspective. Every manufacturer listed has had decades of design experience to build on except one. The first production Spyder isn't even 10 years old yet.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    I have owned 3 Yamaha's and 2 Spyders and I agree with the CR report. I loved both Spyders but I was never comfortable miles from home. I never trusted either. With the Yamaha's however I never worried. I currently ride a 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 and I never give breakdowns a thought no matter where I am. Just as the report states Yamaha's are as bulletproof as any machine can be. Oh...and btw it's also an extremely fun bike - a hooligan if you will.
    I on the other hand have taken my 2010 RSS from Philly to Daytona Beach and back in four days... and my F3 from Philly to Raleigh, NC and back with no worries at all. I have also taken my Harley from Philly to Vermont and back. This is why I hate these kinds of surveys. They rely on error prone human opinion instead of real data.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmChris View Post
    They rely on error prone human opinion instead of real data.
    I don't agree. I have not seen the actual questions but here is how I believe they would have been constructed. I filled in an automobile survey years ago.

Did you buy a motorcycle new during the past four years. Yes ____ No ____ If yes proceed with the survey. [Fact, not opinion]

Has the m/c been to the dealer for repair work during the past four years? None (__) 1 (__) 2 (__) 3 (__) 4 (__) More than 4 (__) [Fact, subject to variation due to human memory]

What type of repair was performed? Check all that apply. [And so and so forth.]

And then

Would you purchase the same brand motorcycle again? [Can be opinion or fact, depending on the owner's attitude.]

CR surveys are about as factual as is possible since they ask about actual history of owning the m/c. Now, passion and attitude toward a particular m/c can be a motivation for filling in the survey. I suppose it's possible more Harley owners are so passionate about owning a HD they are motivated to fill in the survey but don't want to own up to all the repairs they have had done, and Can Am owners who have had repairs are so ticked they were more motivated to fill in the survey than were those owners who had no problems. That is undoubtedly part of why the margin of error was something like +/- 10%.

Whether we like it or not, or agree with it or not, IMO the survey shows a reasonably accurate picture of m/c reliability and owners' passions for them.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    ...Whether we like it or not, or agree with it or not, IMO the survey shows a reasonably accurate picture of m/c reliability and owners' passions for them.
    I agree with that statement. Before buying my RT , I owned a big Yamaha touring bike for about 10 years (a Yamaha Royal Star Venture) , and I don't remember ever putting it in the shop for repairs – only routine maintenance. As I recall, the Kawasaki I own before that only needed repaired once while I owned it. In contrast, my Spyder has been in the shop for several repairs. But I sure do enjoy riding it, and I would buy one again.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat