Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Long Distance Trip Packing List

For all you experienced Spyder Pilots out there, what are some essential items to purchase for long distance trips (i.e. Bags, gear, upgrades, maybe some key farkles, etc.).

Please be specific and provide links and/or pictures. As we newbies prepare for Spyderfest - there are undoubtedly some things I will need to invest in over the next four months.

Thank you all in advance for your input.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Gear bag

I have been finding that a lot of my snowmobile gear is slowly moving over to my spyder inventory. One thing I found was my large gear bags, that are water repellent, make great suitcases to pack in the 622 trailer as added security against water on the gear. Also I have a stash of ziplock and small garbage bags on the spyder that I have found useful on occasion.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RAIN GEAR!!!
    This should be your FIRST consideration. A trip of this length will test your mettle, if you're soaked to the bone.
    TOOLS:
    Bring along some Torx wrenches, a spare quart of oil, some duct tape, a decent air pressure gauge that you trust, some flashlights (You NEVER have enough!)
    CLOTHING:
    There are several approaches to this:
    1.Bring a minimal amount, and wear it until people only approach you from upwind...
    2. Bring old clothes, throw them out and buy replacements!
    3. Mail your dirty laundry home... (Don't tell the USPS what's in the package... let them learn the HARD way!)
    4. Truck everything that you need to Missouri, and don't worry about space considerations
    As for me: I'm a firm believer in tactics 1 and 2...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default I wanna ride in front of Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    RAIN GEAR!!!
    This should be your FIRST consideration. A trip of this length will test your mettle, if you're soaked to the bone.
    TOOLS:
    Bring along some Torx wrenches, a spare quart of oil, some duct tape, a decent air pressure gauge that you trust, some flashlights (You NEVER have enough!)
    CLOTHING:
    1.Bring a minimal amount, and wear it until people only approach you from upwind...
    3. Mail your dirty laundry home... (Don't tell the USPS what's in the package... let them learn the HARD way!)
    4. Truck everything that you need to Missouri, and don't worry about space considerations
    Dibs on riding ahead of Bob on the ride home.

But on a slightly more serious note, I'll offer any space I have in my 622 trailer to whoever and whatever may need it in our group. I would imagine I should have a bit of room.
    Last edited by Brentc; 01-03-2016 at 11:59 AM.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Looks like I will be adding this to my packing list

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    RAIN GEAR!!!
    TOOLS:
    CLOTHING:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

Along with the tools mentioned above, a plug kit and air supply first aid kit . A lot will depend on your space. Clothing is the least of your worries. Safety and comfort is number one. Farkles are mostly eye candy except for safety and handling/comfort. These you will have to ryde a while to see if you need or want them. Take a few side trips and see what you find necessary. ...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    I have one like that, for when I'm making CHILI!
    Unfortunately; it's nowhere near good enough, to help when I'm eating that chili!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

from the sounds of things I think a big bottle of febreze fresh scent would come in handy!

tie wire or long zip ties, never know when a tie rod end will let loose.

extra running light bulbs

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

All of the above is good,good,good.

Bring more money ( cash too) than you think youll need.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Zip ties... I always keep the bottom of the top trunk littered with them!
    Spare bulbs? Not so much...
    Unless you've had ongoing issues with lighting; you're pretty safe. After all; you'll be heading toward one of the better dealers in the Country!

Spyder Garage

Arrow Space Issues

I don't have too much space available. I have an ST-S sans saddlebags. My space is limited to the frunk and a bag strapped to the back seat. I just got a decent roll bag that is water resistant from REI. I will begin looking at rain gear options this week. I think I'm also going to buy a Sena so I can listen to music and have access to phone calls as well as communicate with others in the convoy that have one. I like to talk if you haven't noticed

I also pack my emergency cigar and bourbon kit for post ryding enjoyment. Never leave home without that. I figure if I'm missing something else, I can always use cigar and bourbon to barter for what I need.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

here is a thread I found awhile ago and I thought it was interesting. It has more to do with camping but a lot of it is applicable to any motorcycle traveling.
    BTW, if you google motorcycle traveling or motorcycle packing tips or anything to do with motorcycle traveling you will get years of very interesting reading to fill up these snowy months and meet ( by reading their stuff) some fascinating people.

http://www.shortroadtohappy.com/what...torcycle-trip/

Here is another from the AMA on general things. They put this in their magazine a year or two ago. BTW if you are not a member may I recommend that you you join. Their is not bad and it's free with the membership. Lots of good information on website and in magazine and they fight for our rights.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...rttouring.aspx

and one more. I just found this site,did not take time to study it too much,but it sounds useful.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/packi...rip-29681.html

To me there is nothing better then traveling on a motorcycle. If you are just starting the most important thing to bring is a good attitude and lots of patience with yourself and anyone traveling with you. Things will go wrong,you will forget important stuff and you will make major mistakes. Don't let it stop you or spoil the fun,it's all part of the adventure.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 01-03-2016 at 01:19 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also pack my emergency cigar and bourbon kit for post ryding enjoyment. Never leave home without that. I figure if I'm missing something else, I can always use cigar and bourbon to barter for what I need.
    Don't forget the chocolate bars and nylons too!
    Ohhh... We're not going to Europe, or the South Pacific!

Spyder Garage

I don't have too much space available. I have an ST-S sans saddlebags. My space is limited to the frunk and a bag strapped to the back seat. I just got a decent roll bag that is water resistant from REI. I will begin looking at rain gear options this week. I think I'm also going to buy a Sena so I can listen to music and have access to phone calls as well as communicate with others in the convoy that have one. I like to talk if you haven't noticed

Heated gear from Baja Ron, site sponsor. That and Frog Togs rain gear in the appropriate size needed. I do agree with not leaving home without your Bourbon, takes the edge off of long days on the road.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Oh and refill your meds if your almost out and don't forget to bring them

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you don't have hard luggage, invest in a dry bag and bungee straps (flat ones, not round ones). The dry bag keeps your stuff well... dry, and the bungee net or straps won't roll off unlike round ones.

The big yellow dry bag in the picture was our sleeping bags and tent.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Heated gear from Baja Ron, site sponsor. That and Frog Togs rain gear in the appropriate size needed. I do agree with not leaving home without your Bourbon, takes the edge off of long days on the road.
    Thanks for the frog togg tip. That is my next purchase.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Oh and refill your meds if your almost out and don't forget to bring them
    Thanks for reminding me. I'm almost out if anti-psychotics.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Mail your good clothes to your hotel, then mail them back home.

Bring quarters for the laundromat.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Remember to always pack rain gear last - you don't need to be taking everything out and getting wet to get to rain gear.

Spyder Garage

Default armyspydervet

Check out the Nelson-Rigg soft saddlebags. I bought a set of CL950 bags for my ST-S several years ago and they have been great. They come with rain covers and have large Velcro straps that can be put under the seat and the seat sits down on them in the closed position. Someone then can't steal the bags unless they have a very sharp knife and want to take the time to cut them off. I will be transferring these bags to my new F3-S.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Packing for the trip

Thanks for posting the packing suggestions.
    I need waterproof gloves.

My raingear is OK. GPS is an old TomTom XXL that seems to work adequately. GPS can be covered with a plastic bag if/when it rains.
    I'm into DIY so I'm proofing some heated grip wraps and installing driving/fog lights.
    Installation should be finished later today. So far so good.
    I, too, am riding an ST-S - w/o saddle bags. I've been mulling over the purchase of such for a few days.
    I pulled the trigger this morning and purchased the CanAm bags online - ouch"". So now I'm on an ST-S+.
    If the budget allows I may purchase a Sena for music and to be in communication with the leaders.
    I will be carrying Tools, Compressor, and Patch kit also a CPAP and notebook.. Hence the need for the saddle bags.
    I'll have a Dry bag, across the pillion, with have my tent and my sleeping bag.
    Does anyone carry a notebook or tablet computer? How about cameras? Or do you rely on cell phones?
    Roadside assistance is offered on my Riders Insurance.

This is getting expensive before the Spyderfest adventure begins...

Don't forget a cover for the Spyder.

Cheers, David C.

Spyder Garage

Default Don't buy in haste!

Thanks for the frog togg tip. That is my next purchase.
    Don't just buy the first set of Frogg Toggs you come across. Go to their website and look at all they have. Get a set of "motorcycle" specific rain gear. You'll be glad you spent a few extra $$$.

Also, I don't want to rain on your parade, but, be careful about the number of riders in your group. If the group is too large, it won't be much fun. It sounds like it will be, but it won't. It'll be very, very difficult to keep everyone together. You'll be traveling quite a distance and it may be better to have a "destination" for the end of the day. This way, if you do get separated, you'll know where you're sleeping for the night and the riders know where to go.

Just my two cents worth.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    Thanks for posting the packing suggestions.
    I need waterproof gloves.

My raingear is OK. GPS is an old TomTom XXL that seems to work adequately. GPS can be covered with a plastic bag if/when it rains.
    I'm into DIY so I'm proofing some heated grip wraps and installing driving/fog lights.
    Installation should be finished later today. So far so good.
    I, too, am riding an ST-S - w/o saddle bags. I've been mulling over the purchase of such for a few days.
    I pulled the trigger this morning and purchased the CanAm bags online - ouch"". So now I'm on an ST-S+.
    If the budget allows I may purchase a Sena for music and to be in communication with the leaders.
    I will be carrying Tools, Compressor, and Patch kit also a CPAP and notebook.. Hence the need for the saddle bags.
    I'll have a Dry bag, across the pillion, with have my tent and my sleeping bag.
    Does anyone carry a notebook or tablet computer? How about cameras? Or do you rely on cell phones?
    Roadside assistance is offered on my Riders Insurance.

This is getting expensive before the Spyderfest adventure begins...

Don't forget a cover for the Spyder.

Cheers, David C.

Canam bags are out if my budget, plus I am getting RT envy and may want to trade up next year or the year after.

I take an iPad wherever I go. My cell phone duals as my GPS. It is on a Ram mount with a waterproof case when I ride.

My next main purchases will be the rain gear, a Sena, and potentially the soft bags listed above, but I may just use my duffel. I will also pick up some little items like the tire repair and first aid kit.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6